Im not a usual Veeky Forums goer, but I do have a question:

Im not a usual Veeky Forums goer, but I do have a question:

How is, or to what extent is Lovecraft racist?

Im a fan of his work, and like his style, even if some of the wording and themes are extremely repetetive, but thats another discussion.

Maybe I missed a glaring example, but to my knowledge I dont really find his stuff all that bad, save from mud people mentioned in call of cthulhu I think.

I am just an idiot?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V7qQ7A4rWM8
greatmindsonrace.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/h-p-lovecraft/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>I am just an idiot?
Either that or baiting

He called his cat Niggerman and so that obviously had appeal here.

I don't think you're an idiot. I've read quite a bit of ol' HPs work and he seems mostly ambivalent towards other races from what i've read. There is an arguement that the Innsmouth story is about the horrors of racemixing, but other than that I haven't come across anything thats balls to the wall racist.

He lassoed niggers and heisted Jews. What do you think?

>it's another he only wants to post the 'On The Creation Of Niggers' poem episode

I don't visit Veeky Forums much, so I dont know what you mean. Could you provide a link to this poem?

W-wow. Really?

He was more overtly racist in his personal life and writings, but a lot of his works deal in themes of hereditary degeneration/ people becoming subhuman by breeding, like Rats in the Walls for example.
Shadow over insmouth in particular revolves around a cult of subhuman mixed breeds and the big horrifying twist at the end is that the narrator could be one of them too.
He has some good stories and great concepts, but you do have to look past some things

Shadow Over Innsmouth is obviously about miscegenation and degeneration of mixing races

>to what extent is Lovecraft racist?

Have you ever read his poem about Niggers?

There are themes of xenophobia within Lovecraft's works and he was personally a racist.

Liberals love to blow such things enormously out of proportion because denouncing popular authors on charges racism, no matter how slight, gives them virtue signal points. It's why Eugenics are so irrationally hated.

The Rats in the Walls is literally about racial impurity.

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

I think that the poem 'On the Creation of Niggers' by HP Lovecraft is a genius satire of the banalities, barbarity, and irrationality that is perpetuated by religious and superstitious groups throughout history.

suggest u listen 2 this
youtube.com/watch?v=V7qQ7A4rWM8

Horror at Red Hook is pretty anti-immigrant. The Street is literally about how horrible immigrants are and how they destroy a street that was once filled with friendly anglos. Plenty of his stories are explicitly racist, its just that his most popular ones, the ones everyone has read, tend to be less racist. Nobody wants to read Lovecraft ranting and raving about inferior cultures, so those stories have kind of fallen by the wayside and been forgotten, but they definitely exist.

Quite a lot of his stories are also run of the mill pulp trash that have nothing to do with cosmic horror. Take The Alchemist, which is about an angry old man hiding in the protagonist's basement for contrived reasons.

Bump

he wrote the alchemist when he was a teenager

This is a voluminous collection of his views on race, although I'm not sure whether it's statistically a fair sampling:
greatmindsonrace.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/h-p-lovecraft/
The gist of it, from what I can gather, is that he thought blacks and Australoids were hopelessly inferior and that Chinese, Jews, Indians, and so on were possibly the equals of whites, but whites should keep separate from them in order to maintain the purity of white culture. Among whites, he viewed Anglo-Saxons as #1.

Who gives a fuck. This is a great reddit topic

From The Call of Cthulu

"The professor had been stricken whilst returning from the Newport boat; falling suddenly, as witnesses said, after having been jostled by a nautical-looking negro"

"the prisoners all proved to be men of a very low, mixed-blooded, and mentally aberrant type. Most were seamen, and a sprinkling of negroes and mulattoes, largely West Indians or Brava Portuguese from the Cape Verde Islands, gave a colouring of voodooism to the heterogeneous cult. But before many questions were asked, it became manifest that something far deeper and older than negro fetichism was involved."

"One thing I began to suspect, and which I now fear I know, is that my uncle’s death was far from natural. He fell on a narrow hill street leading up from an ancient waterfront swarming with foreign mongrels, after a careless push from a negro sailor. I did not forget the mixed blood and marine pursuits of the cult-members in Louisiana"