Discworld

Finished reading and am sad will miss Terry Pratchett's magic, what other books made you feel that way /lit

He was one of a kind, so not really.

Ogr Gremeliy
Havi Nashiev
Leonid Nureev
Alexandr Olshansky
Boris Gryzlov
Eban Okunev
Isaak Noviy

this, came to say specifically this
I don't know what it is with Pratchett but it just hits the sweet spot between goofy and savvy social/philosophical satyre

There are none. There could be, though

wink wink

His style seems as if it was effortless, but it's so engrossing and most importantly - funny. Most "comedy" books I've read (I'll admit, the number isn't impressive) all have this feeling that they've been written and thought about, a lot. Well, obviously, they've books after all, but Pratchett novels feel like he just woke up and plucked them out of thin air while waiting for the kettle to boil. and then they just appeared in bookstores

I enjoyed what I've read of the series. Do any of the books address what will happen to Ankh Morpork when Vetinari dies?

>implying he will ever die
>implying Charles Dance won't play him in adaptations for the next 80+ years

Pratchett was a hack, his books nothing but glorified mary sue fanfiction, with a mere pretension of being clever and humorous. A satire of genre fiction that at the end became worse than the thing it was satirizing. The people who read it... well just look at this thread, I don' think I have to spell it out.

It's a shame we never got to see Pete Postlethwaite as Vimes in an adaptation of Night Watch.

Have a (you) and thanks for the bump

i'm not all the way through yet, and i'm limiting the books that are left to one/two per year. A shame he died, but this series is still more than anyone could expect.

Angua a cute

Post some rare Moists.

THIS.

Although much darker and more supernatural suspense rather than fantasy, I recommend John Connolly. Less humour, though not lacking humour, but a good blend of sentiment and story. Especially Book of Lost Things.

Titus Groan/Gormenghast also had an immersive world.

Omniscient POV shit gets old fast.

What are some good terry pratcheet books to start with? Heard from a friend his works are really good.

Small Gods, Mort, Guards! Guards!

Italo Calvino has dry humour that is sort of similar to Pratchett. "Nonexistent Knight" is all I've read though, but it's very good. I could see Pratchett coming up with something as charming and silly.

>I recommend John Connolly
first time I've seen anyone mention him here on Veeky Forums and he's one of my favorites
the charlie parker series is brilliant

Small Gods is his best one imo. Great look on religion.

2nded

Really, my impression all the way through was that he wrote high effort jokes(like the first two books) but picked up an editor along the way who mellowed them out.