STEM grad here. What are English/literature classes like? Did I miss out...

STEM grad here. What are English/literature classes like? Did I miss out? Tfw I fell for the STEM meme and now I'm a soulless programmer working in a room full of boxes.

Other urls found in this thread:

historians.org/publications-and-directories/perspectives-on-history/february-2015/connecting-the-dots
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>he fell for the STEM meme
>wants to study english
It's too late OP, consider suicide

You didn't miss out. Just start reading on your own and if you have trouble understanding things read it again and maybe look for online discussions. Literature classes are just expensive reading lists.

>wants to study english
Yeah my wife was an English major and I'm jelly of her reading books all the time. I didn't know until we started dating that people could read a book for something other than the plot. like wtf else would you read for right? tfw I tried reading asoiaf but gave up after 1 page because there were so many words

You missed nothing. Most English classes are trash although occasioanally you can find a gem. Anybody can be Veeky Forums, you just have to work at it yourself.

I was a STEM dropout eventual Business Major/English Minor so I feel like I can answer this with some authority.
They're a wonderful change of pace from the chemistry/physics lecture halls/labs, and so long as you can write a 5-10 page paper three times a semester that caters to whatever taste your professor has, and occasionally add in some bullshit interpretation of the text in class, you're golden.
That being said, each class was a gamble. One bad student, or a professor with a stick up their ass, could ruin the whole semester. I had one professor who, after every comment from a classmate, would nicely disagree with them and then just repeat something from her dissertation.
That being said, be glad that you at least have a soulless job. So many of my classmates are still hilariously under/unemployed. Read on your own time.

>Read on your own time
I've started getting pretty interested in reading some stuff like Corneliu Zelea Codreanu with his For My Legionaries book. tfw first venture into reading stuff that isn't fiction

STEM here, but took two 3rd-year english courses since I liked the topics they covered.

They were all pretty boring. Most of the lecturing is based on existing papers written on the books, so the class is basically just a rehashing of those papers but delivered in a more accessible manner. Class discussion is almost nonexistent because most of the students are just mentally phoning it in. It is definitely not the place for energetic discussion of books.

Some fuck told me I could substitute a business degree with history. Was he just fucking with me?

Do people in lit classes even like books? I had a friend who switched to brit lit because he coudln't pass the calc II barrier class for computer science but to be fair he couldn't finish his lit degree either

Yes, but it depends on how you can pivot.

Christ, what kind of terrible school did you go to?

I have a degree in English and I work in a room full of boxes as well (an archive).

The Liberal Arts today have been reduced to a rubber stamp program for nogs and thots to feel superior.

historians.org/publications-and-directories/perspectives-on-history/february-2015/connecting-the-dots
Only thing I've found that sounds reasonable

You are not the only one, I fell for the stem meme as well. I regret it every morning of my life.

>online discussions
>being the same as learning how to read critically and research
>tfw no one here can even be bothered looking into literary criticism or theory, and it's mostly just a sophisticated form of goodreads
k

If you'd really like to study English, you should attempt to get a Masters out of it so you can get published in journals, write essays on works and create your own way of reading. Then it's actually be worthwhile. You can always just become an English teacher from an undergrad degree, but sounds like living hell teaching unwilling students Shakespeare... I think you should just get a literary theory or criticism textbook first. Get yourself informed on how literature has been interpreted over the years e.g. structuralism, marxism, postmodernism, etc. It's difficult to get into, but always read Barthes, Foucault, Derrida and Baudrillard to understand the milieu we're in (or coming out of) now in literary interpretation. You should get a textbook with monographs of them. Barthes talks about 'dead author'. Foucault is discourse and intertextuality (and he talks about authorship). Derrida is 'the text' guy. Baudrillard did an interesting essay on Calvino when he was young, but ended up being a big po-mo guy later on. You can start wherever you want with them.

>What are classes like
Pretty shit. Most of the people there aren't serious about being academics, so it's mostly Harry Potter-tier plebs who are forced to read books they never even heard of. Like, most of them never heard of Dickens before it was an assigned text... I'm hoping it gets better soon and all the plebs either get patrish or drop out.

I'm a stemfag. I work in a nice lab with a great view. I am reading, teaching myself french, learning to code and excercising every day. I make enough money to have a very modest life where I can pay for my wife to go to school full-time without having to work. I love my life even though I'm not sure where I want my career to go from here because I recognize that college is just the beginning of learning and a BA in anything means very little.

Pretty good, 6/10. Work on namedropping more subtle books.

Can you tell if girls are impressed when you tell them you're an english major? I hear girls panties dry up when I tell them I'm a CS major

If you aren't a stereotypical CS major that won't matter. If you are then getting a BA in English won't help.

Just tell them the pay difference between you and any English Major and they'll be dripping wet.

Your first mistake is caring what girls think

This.

thanks for the tips guys. I'm just gonna tell girls I'm a creative writing major since that sounds cool

In the anglosphere. Eastern/Central Europe still stronk.

Giving that post a 6/10 is a 6/10 in its own right.

Well played.

>What are English/literature classes like?
close reading

>Can you tell if girls are impressed when you tell them you're an english major?
literally nothing could turn a girl away faster.
English doesn't have the edge of art or music and it does't have the job prospects of cs.
I just tell them that i'm going to law school next year.

This is a stem. It's attached to a flower.
Feel better?

A FUCKING LEAF!

>sophisticated form of goodreads
>sophisticated
kek

how very 6/10 of you

>I'm just gonna tell girls I'm a creative writing major since that sounds cool
Did you read any of the fucking posts you moron? Also

You fell for the programming meme. Phys/Maths master race here - just read books. I know more about literature than 90% of lit grads - even the ones from "good" schools.

Maybe try doing something you actually enjoy. You don't need to waste your money and years of your life to get a job as a code monkey, lmao. STEM is very broad and you can easily get a decent programming job with no formal education, just proof of abilities.

In my state school...

Most English majors do not like reading. Most that do, pretend to. Most that aren't pretending to are into entry level, YA, and genre fiction. Most that aren't into entry level, YA, and genre fiction are psuedointellectuals who care too much about history and terms and anything related to gender theory or the bad side of postmodernism. The very few people left over should be held onto and cherished.

People in my Chaucer class cheered when they found out that reading wasn't necessary and it was all lecture based and a scantron test (that part is rare, but they were cheering about not having to read it).

>it's went into engineering for the pay episode
Brainletneers are truly the lowest scum on earth.

I meant it's just their feels and an elaborate review of a work rather than developing a way of reading.

Who is this semen demon (thought experiment)?

Are you a dog? (White girls fuck dogs)

Lel what an illiterate loser

WHY?! WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME SO WITH THIS WHITE GIRL DOG PASTA? All I want to do is come here for some Eurocentric experience that will bolster my white pride but I am constantly told "(white girls fuck dogs)". Can I ever find a part of Plato's Republic that lays the foundation for white nationalism, will I ever secure a future for my (definitely) white children? Will I ever be able to put all Whorfians and postmodern Marxists, who undermine Truth (even though I always say might makes right, and thus truth), in an oven?

>might makes right

Bombing_of_Dresden.jpeg
Himmler's_corpse.png
Strangulation_of_Codreanu.gif

I can only refer you to The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra page 405

Even the Juden, Noam Chomsky, points this out, user. What's your point? Both America and Nazi Germany were warhawks.

It means that according to your own philosophy you are and always will be a loser.