Romanian Veeky Forums

give it to me straight Veeky Forumsards, what is some good romanian books?

herta müller?

Ummmmm.....
Romanian is a pretty insulary language and not a lot of romanian books get translated but I'll name a few romanian authors from the top of my head

Emil Cioran
"For my legionnaires" is an interestig read if you're into fascim
"History of Religions" by Mircea Eliade
There's probably more but I'm not very knowledgeable on the matter.

thanks, will look into those. I'm actually interested in learning it, will probably do so once I get decent with italian.

Eliade, Cioran, Ionescu, Noica

Did Ceausescu write anything important? Also are there any good books about him?

every time

For poetry-- Tudor Arghezi, Sasa Pana and Urmuz

Blaga's poems are tight. Same with Stanescu.

Vlad the Impaler - Turkish Cookery

>I'm actually interested in learning it

Why would anyone ever do that? Are you trying to learn every romance language no matter how pointless to unlock some Xbox Achievement?

I see people mentioning Cioran and Eliade here but keep in mind that they didn't write that much in Romanian.
Honestly Rommanian literature is pretty bad, but you have some decent works here and there. Also stay away from Mircea Cărtărescu, that fag is hugely overrated.

Ceauşescu was an uneducated peasant.
Romanian here, I'm reallly curious to know why would somebody want to learn this insular language besides of scholarly reasons.

Sorescu, Sadoveanu's The Hatchet, Voiculescu if you're into mysticism and folklore, Blaga, Noica, Arghezi's pottery, don't read fucking Codreanu he's a posterboy for loser LARPers on Bulgarian Tobacco Enthusiast Cabins with 0 influence in Romanian art. At least go for Goga or Nae Ionescu if you want patriotard garbage.

Cioran is bretty gud but Eliade is terrible from a scientific point of view, never mind being a kind of terrible writer. I like Sorescu and Blaga better. Someone who's into history should read Xenopol.

There are Romanian communist-era books that kiss Ceausescu's ass like crazy. One book outlined the philosophical contributions to Ethics by three major figures: Kant, Hegel and Ceausescu. Another one I read, a translation from Descartes, praised Descartes for having anticipated Ceausescu's insights.

Not to mention all the bullshit Elena Ceausescu pulled, stealing from her researchers and publishing in her own name even though she was probably borderline illiterate.

Also, no wonder stealing is Romania's main past-time:

"LONDON — Britain's Queen Elizabeth II ordered guest rooms stripped of valuables before a state visit by Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceausescu in 1978, a British newspaper said Sunday.

Ceausescu and his wife, Elena, were executed by firing squad during the 1989 Romanian revolution.

The Sunday Express said the couple removed thousands of dollars worth of ornaments and fittings from rooms during an official stay in Paris earlier in the year.

The newspaper report, headlined "Lock Up the Crown Jewels, Here Comes Light-Fingered Nic," is based on a British Broadcasting Corp. television documentary.

The program will be shown on Tuesday.

It said that before the couple arrived in London on the next leg of a European tour, former French President Valery Giscard d'Estaing telephoned Buckingham Palace to warn Queen Elizabeth.

Giscard d'Estaing described how lamps, vases, ashtrays and bathroom fittings had been removed. "It was as if burglars had moved in for a whole summer," he told the BBC.

Ceausescu's security officials also reportedly gouged holes in the walls looking for bugging devices.

The queen ordered palace security officers to keep a close watch on the couple.

The program said the queen later described the visit as the worst three days of her life."

wtf i love pottery now!

All great recommendations, but I think that the reason Romanian lit is so inaccessible to people outside of Romania is because almost none of it is translated or published in other countries.

Cioran's Schimbarea la fata a Romaniei is a great read if you want real fascist Romanian literature.

Imagine caring this much about an interesting goal someone has set for themself

Ionesco, Eliade, Gavan (idk if his books are translated), Cioran, Blaga, Rebreanu, Maiorescu, etc. Idk how many of them got translated but I read at least a book from each of these lads.

Not judging him, I just don't see the point. As a Romanian, I'd gladly trade in my native language for a better understanding of a widely used language. And there are plenty of those, it's not like you'd run out of languages anytime soon trying to learn all of them.

Are you a philosophy major?

>Eliade is terrible from a scientific point of view
why

Literally the worst post I've ever seen

Then you haven't seen too many.

>Are you trying to learn every romance language no matter how pointless to unlock some Xbox Achievement?
As a matter of fact, I kind of am. I speak portuguese natively, am fluent in italian, started learning latin recently and want to learn french (which will be the hardest) and spanish (which will be the easiest) as well.

I started learning italian purely because of literature (and still, main motivation to learn French and Spanish is literature), but in the process I realized I really love learning new languages, and because of this "pre-disposition" to learn Romantic Languages because they all derived from Latin, I figured why not try to learn Romanian too, which is a beautiful language, even if doesn't have that many classics/great books or even if it is not an emerginc economic potency? Why not use the potential to learn it?

my two inspirations are joyce and pic related, magnificent modernist brazilian writer Guimarães Rosa.

"I speak: Portuguese, German, French, English, Spanish, Italian, Esperanto, some Russian; I read: Swedish, Dutch, Latin and Greek (but with the dictionary right next to me); I understand some German dialects; I studied the grammar of: Hungarian, Arabic, Sanskrit, Lithuanian, Polish, Tupi, Hebrew, Japanese, Czech, Finnish, Danish; I dabbled in others. But all at a very basic level. And I think that studying the spirit and the mechanism of other languages helps greatly to more deeply understand the national language [of Brazil]. In general, however, I studied for pleasure, desire, distraction".

Maybe later on I will even try German and Esperanto

He lacks understanding often, is terribly presumptuous in his research and had this kind of weird occultist mystical glasses on which clouded his analysis. This goes for his master, Jung, too, and his disciple Culianu.

Cioran wasn't a fascist fatso.

I hope you are aware of the irony of criticizing an author for being mystical when he is remembered primarily of his work on myth and his most magnum opus literally has the word myth in it. That's like saying Dostoevsky's analysis had a weird conservative orthodox christian lens

cartarescu and blecher

> Cioran wasn't a fascist fatso.

He was at one point, although it was more of a strange mixture of different totalitarian systems rather than straight up fascism. Still, he eventually went against that part of his life. And it's no surprise, his brand of nihilism doesn't go that well with totalitarian ideals all things considered.