I havent read a book in over 10 years (harry potter)

i havent read a book in over 10 years (harry potter)
where do i start?

Other urls found in this thread:

buzzfeed.com/ariannarebolini/best-ya-books-of-all-time?utm_term=.djg9zBBLK#.wupKQEEp8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>inb4 start with the Romans

start with the chinese

why?

Idk, what kind of movies do you like? Theres plenty of basic sci fi and fantasy if you're looking to approach it like that.

Honestly - as far as nonfiction goes - I'd suggest going to a library and browsing whatever piques your curiosity. Reading for the sake of reading is stupid. Read for the sake of learning shit that interests you. You'll probably get hooked on something - some topic or some genre (in the case of fiction) - given enough time. Don't force anything and don't feel compelled to read. Reading is a hobby like any other.

Also if there is one book you *should* be compelled to read it's "How to Read a Book" by Adler.

This

This is like asking "I haven't watched a movie in over 10 years, where should I start?"

Whatever the fuck you're interested in

I think you should read something that you want to read. Search up a genre you interested in and read the highest regarded books listed. The point is to get into reading, so If your not interested in the deep philosophical stuff or the extremely huge books that can exhaust new readers, simply read something short and simple. Like if your going to read fantasy read the Hobbit which only has about 95,000 words, or want some short weak sci-fi check out The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which Is even shorter with only 69,440 words.

Glace through Veeky Forums
Anytime you see a book mentioned, look it up. If it seems interesting, read it.
This works for /tv/ and /v/ and so on as well, you're welcome.

Don't listen to the autists who want you to read exclusively non-fiction and start with works that you won't have any historical context for understanding at this point in your life.

Start by reading some American classics from the first half of the 20th century (Hemingway, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, etc.) then work your way backwards to 19th Century British, American, Russian, and French works, and then you can start reading the Greeks or even branch out into East Asian literature.

Start with Dostoevsky

Do what I did. Start with popular Young Adult books . Read about 2-3 of them just to get back into the flow of reading. They wont overwhelm you and it'll reteach your brain to read fast again.
After that, start reading great novellas that you find interesting. We have a good top 100 novella list somewhere around here.

After that try testing yourself by reading a 600+ page epic.

Then start your western cannon run. Greeks, Romans, Hebrews, Shakespere etc etc

Then find our favorite books of all time 2017 edition and start tackling each book one by one.

HG Wells the Time Machine
Henry James Turn of the Screw
Huxley Brave New World

Good sci-fi/ horror to start you out.

Whatever you do don't listen to retarded memers on this board who tell you to start with the Greeks. Maybe you'll like it but there's also a chance you'll just be bored to death with something you don't care about (yet).

Metamorphasis - Kafka
Of mice and men - Steinbeck
Old man and the sea- Hemmingway
Catcher in the rye - J. D. Salinger
The Stranger - Camus
A Hero of our time - Lermentov

all good starts too

>A hero of our time
How's this?

Very good. It's follows the life of a fictional Russian soldier during the Caucasus campaign in the 1800's. The book is just a compilation of various exploits he has but it's all tied together nicely.

If you cut your teeth on YA fiction, start simple. Something fun that doesn't make you think, like Elmore Leonard.

what young adult books are praised on Veeky Forums?

Read something short, simple, and good - ease your way into Veeky Forums.

>Call of the Wild, Jack London
>Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
>The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
>Labyrinths or The Aleph (short stories), Jorge Luis Borges
>After the Quake (short stories), Murakami Haruki
>The Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka

I dunno - something like that.
>

>something that doesn't make you think

GET OUT. NEVER COME BACK.

Don't listen to that faggot-pleb, OP. It sounds like you've taken a long enough break from not thinking. It's time to start.

Start and end with Phenomenology of Spirit

Six of Crows is great.
The Cinder series
Patrick Ness books are also pretty good but mostly mindless fun.
The Book of Flying
The Giver
The Outsiders

Just avoid any ethnic or black authors as the entire book will be about some minority overcoming whitey's oppression.
Treat all books written by women with a hint of skepticism. Do your research brah

Literally none

after a quick search on the interwebs

buzzfeed.com/ariannarebolini/best-ya-books-of-all-time?utm_term=.djg9zBBLK#.wupKQEEp8

lol

33. Brown Girl Dreaming, by Jacqueline Woodson

What it's about: Woodson's memoir, written in free verse, shows what it was like to live through the 1960s and 1970s in South Carolina and New York as a young black girl, looking for her place in the world.
32. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie

What it's about: Junior is a cartoonist-to-be living on the Spokane Indian Reservation. When he decides to leave his school for an all-white school in town, he has to face the tensions of being in an environment where the only other Indian is the school mascot.

LOLOL

Of course that's what you found. You used BUZZFEED you fucking-goon. Geez.

Think about something you want to read about and then google some good books about that something. Alternatively walk into a charity shop and buy some books which sound cool.

Don't listen to these fools
Start with the Vedantics