The only philosophical books I have read are Max Stirner: Ego and His Own, and Otto Weininger: Sex and Character...

The only philosophical books I have read are Max Stirner: Ego and His Own, and Otto Weininger: Sex and Character. I have some basic background knowledge on philosophy through watching videos about famous philosophers but I haven't invested myself fully. What books would you recommend a beginner to read to get better acquainted with the subject?

START

WITH

blato's rebublic :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

in all actuality, just read people that you've heard of. i find that when i say "o boiii i NEED to read x" i end up fucking not doing it. let ur curiosity drive u. but all of plato is fucking NUTS homeboy. absolutely off the chain.

I'm not shitposting guys. I'm being serious here.

4188 WPWW

>The only philosophical books I have read are Max Stirner: Ego and His Own, and Otto Weininger: Sex and Character.

Congratulations. You've read two of the only worthwhile philosophical texts. There are a few more but if you should stick to these styles of authors then you should be able to find them ;).

Beyond Good and Evil

>I'm being serious
So are we dummy you must really be a lit noob if you think the Greeks are a joke

I'm worried that I'll go insane if I read Nietzsche so I try to avoid him.

I don't think the Greeks are a joke, but I think they might be infantile in their knowledge. Why waste hours piecing together Greek thought when I can just read a more concise overview of someone who has read it deeply and can explain it better?

Can someone recommend a book?

If you didn't go insane reading Stirner and Weininger you'll be just fine. You really should read Nietzsche. He's one of the most important thinkers who ever lived, and unlike most philosophers he was a phenomenal writer.

You're missing so much of what it means to read. It's not all purely didactic. Just browse some wikis moron, this obviously isn't for you

>Nietzsche
Oh and don't try and read Nietzsche without the Greeks. He was a Greek philosophy professor for many years before publishing his own work

Seriously though, anyone who thinks Greeks are just a meme hasn’t actually read philosophy. The concept of understanding fundamentals is blatantly obvious in every other category of learning, so why does it seem so outlandish for philosophy? If you’re not going to read the Greeks, don’t waste your time on philosophy, you’ll just be a pseud who likes name dropping.

Yeah, and Plato's dialogues are perfectly made for intro philosophy, smooth reading that get's you asking questions and thinking. Not to mention Aristotle's metaphysics, Heraclitus' monism and Plato's Idealism come back up in a huge way in German Idealism and Phenomenology

Okay, I'll read the Greeks. I already bought Collected Works of Aristotle, and Diogenes

Aristotle is pretty boring desu fyi

What is good then?

This is Veeky Forums, nothing's good

It doesn't mean he's bad but Plato and Heraclitus are more entertaining. Aristotle's organon, categories and metaphyics are essential but dry and tedious

kill yourself redditor and I'm dead serious

Plato's dialogues are a thousand times more fun. First read Apology, Crito, Euthyphro, Gorgias, and Meno.

These are all pretty short and you should be able to read them in 2 days (take time to comtemplate them).

Then come back and explain how the Greeks are "infantile in their knowledge"

Explain what ideas from him could not be understood without the greeks and why

fuvkkkk i was just platoposting and started a fight :(((((((((((((((( be peaceful bruthas