Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg
SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries (incomplete, mostly pre-Millenium):
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previously:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solonian_Constitution
twitter.com/AnonBabble

die in a fire op

Holy fuck I was obsessed with this as a child. 11/10 comfiness but really sad ending.

Looking for a short story/novella which I heard as a podcast.

A lady in an Asian court (not sure of her exact role) executes a plan that sends herself into exile but makes her son the next emperor.

All pointers welcome.

>men and elves live in a rudimentary medieval society
>meanwhile hobbits have invented democracy, guns and the steam engine
Why does nobody ever talk about this?

>democracy
>a post-medieval invention
user...

That may be so but my point is that men and elves clearly haven't figured that shit out yet.

>implying democratic government is a win state that all societies inevitably progress towards
>implying the only reason the vast majority of governments have not been democratic is because they "hadn't figured it out"
And that's without getting into how hobbit democracy actually worked. They were only ruled by a mayor because they weren't important enough to need protection by a lord, and because their king was killed a thousand years before the story started and they were just so backwater they didn't notice. They're intensely class-stratified - you think Sam calls Frodo "Master" as a joke? Ever wondered why Merry and Pippin never make friends with him? Because he's literally a peasant, that's why. The Rohirrim are way more egalitarian than the Shire.

The Rohirrim are more egalitarian for sure, but they live in mud huts and longhouses. Forget I ever said democracy, don't you find it at all impressive that this tiny backwater state produced technologies that the rest of the world couldn't even dream of? Not even Saruman got remotely as far as the hobbits.

Nice digits though.

But they didn't make guns and steam engines, I have no idea where you pulled those from.

Here's a list of things Hobbits have knowledge of, considering LOTR and The Hobbit are written by Bilbo and Frodo in-universe:

>"The dragon passed like an express train

>"If you had dusted the mantelpiece, you would have found this just under the clock,"

>"Carefully! Carefully!" he said. "It is not like you, Bilbo, to keep friends waiting on the mat, and then open the door like a pop-gun!

>The roar of his voice was like drums and guns

>He was watching Bilbo now from the distance with his pale eyes like telescopes.

It really depends on what kind of democracy it is. You're not going to get a constitutional democracy in medieval or some time post medieval. It could be an oligarchy.

At this rate I'm going to have to wait until release day like a pleb.

>You're not going to get a constitutional democracy in medieval or some time post medieval.
If you don't find one it won't be because nobody thought of it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solonian_Constitution
A village council is a really basic form of democracy, more intuitive really than aristocracy. You'll find those all over the medieval period, and even in a lot of tribal societies.

They're written in-universe by Tolkien using Bilbo and Frodo as sources.

Any good books about slutty non-blonde elves?

my fanfictions desu

I'm 65.800 words in, a bit more than halfway finished, maybe 65% or so. Say the whole book will have 100k words. Is this okay with a first book for publishing?

I don't remember shit about the first two and do not think I care enough to reread them. How do people deal with this?

length does matter if your story is shit

Will normies read a fantasy novel that has copious human/monster sex, both straight and gay, in it?

Endless theorizing. It helps that Sanderson publishes about a book per year, so there's always something new around the corner.

Still, that happened to me with ASOIAF. I read it in 2011, and I'm so burnt out waiting for Winds of Winter I have trouble giving a shit now. I've forgotten all the subplots, and the dumpster fire of a show will spoil the big-picture ending anyway.

Redpill me on the last of the renshai.

>wheel of time
>every single one of the female characters are the same underdeveloped tsundere.
Is this statement true?

Unless it's erotica, I doubt it.

What's the concept though? If you've got more story than just monster/human orgies, it could still be interesting.

dont mix sexualites.
market it as erotica and stick to straight/lesbian/mff+ but dont include straight up gay sex with mc or mcs closes characters unless its lesbian etc. also harems. normies love harems. turns people off.

or go the other way around and make it full on smut faggotry. in this case only whackjobs and women will read it.

also audiobook.
digital and hardcover book sales are overall on the decline. even indies go the audiobook route now as it offsets the readership decline. theres also people that only listen to audiobooks due to various reasons. be it time constraints or impatience.

gay sex turns people off i meant*'
your main readership is going to be male obviously.
if you want an example of kinda allright monster girl fuckery look into wild wasets. it ticks all the normie fetishes
>various monster girls, some less human others more so
>mc gets his own harem of women that are literally living for his dick only
>mc also gets to build his own town, ergo empire building checked off the list.
>outside of the sex scenes theres actually a story that moves rather fast
>women are generally powerfull and independant but still rely on mc

its a few things the book does right.
its not by any means a good book but in all honestly it could have been way worse. also it has audiobooks narrated by a women. which is also important. if its on the erotica side.

It's not an erotica story. The concept is pretty typical fantasy stuff but the story takes place across Russia and Scandinavia with creatures from Slavic and Norse folklore living in their own societies separate from humans. The MC is based on the Russian stock character of Ivan the Fool and travels around occasionally fucking and getting fucked by monster girls and monster boys. The fucking isn't even a huge part of the story, it just happens like 4 or 5 times.

if the fucking isnt going to be a huge part of it id leave it out completely. its not worth it really.
maybe have a love interest here and there.

But don't normies only read fantasy if it has fucking in it?

yeah but you can imply it or have a some flirting and playful banter with pillowtalk afterwards or before.
unless you do erotica dont do copious amounts of sex. and leave out gay sex regardless. unless you really want to target women. but in that case you will loose a lot of the demographic that would buy your book. fantasy readers are largely male. women mostly only read young adult fantasy which doenst contain much graphic content beyond murder.

>plot out elaborate stories
>come up with characters and write up detailed backstories
>time comes to put it all together and I can't
>sit down and decide to just shit something out that comes to mind
>story emerges organically and I seem to come up with what's going on as I write
>don't like it as much because it's not something I preemptively dedicated my time to
I JUST WANT TO WRITE THE STORIES I HAVE PLANNED OUT.

any good bookaroos then

Might be a little much for a first.
Tomes scare away normies, and you aren't a known name yet.

What are some of the least typical novels out there?

There is any good fantasy book with romances as good as wheel?

Thanks very much user. I wasn't planning on making it too explicit anyway.
And would men really be that put off by implied gay sex? I mean I read Mishima, Wilde, etc. without any problems.

It's 2017, i wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Do your thing.

Bakker recently made a whole book about gay sex and no one seemed to care, go for it

The only sff book I've ever put down due to sexual content was The Steel Remains and not because the main character is gay but because it seems like the author has some issues with sex in general.

brapap

broken empire

Care to elaborate? I want to know how not to write sexual content.

>die in a fire op
Why? What did I do?

i find what matters usually fades back in

This

Things came flooding back once I started reading the preview chapters

Anyone here read Glen Cook's Instrumentalities of the Night? A friend recommended this to me after I finished the first three books of the Black Company series.

No it's not true. Only Nynaeve and possibly the Aiel chick fit that description. The rest of the women are more or less normal.

I'm a fan of it. Basically it's a fantasy setting very heavily inspired by the late middle ages and stuff like the Cathar heresy, with the added concept that ice is slowly encroaching on the world and the oceans are drying up and there's less arable land and so on. The main character is a sort of elite Janissary in a generic Ottoman eastern empire, he uses a cannon filled with silver coins to kill a monster of "the night" and then gets sent to not-Rome as a spy, but ends up getting drawn into far more important things after discovering some stuff about his past and falling in with a cabal of ancient magi. The series starts out mostly medieval but rapidly progresses to early gunpowder/pike and shot warfare.

Overall I think it's on the high end of Cook's work. Apparently there was supposed to be a 5th book but the publisher cut the series short so the 4th is kinda rushed.

Gonna give it a shot then. Thanks, user.

>good fantasy book with romances
The Lions of Al-Rassan

What are some good fantasy books with no romances or at least very minor ones involving side characters and not the MC? I've gotten into the habit of immediately dropping any fantasy book that has a major romantic subplot.

>Durdane series for $4

This is such a fucking steal.

Hmm, do you mind reading D&D fiction of a sorts?

I know it might sound strange like hell, but there's a few books from the Dark Sun setting which are pretty great, feature an ugly cunt for a protagonist and there's very, very little mention of romance of any sorts.

The Brazen Gambit, Cinnabar Shadows and The Rise and Fall of a Dragon King are the ones you might want to look out for.

>Still no Oathbringer leak
>Having to wait for release date like normies

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

These doesn't exist because it would alienate half of the reading population.

Nynaeve is my waifu, desu.

Pevara is top waifu you pleb.

Go home, Androl.

>really like Lanfear
she dies twice
why

i want to fuck amarie

woudlnt do that to felagund tho, he's the ultimate dude bro

Are you a dog? (White girls fuck dogs)

Why do you keep on posting this?

bitch im a dog woofwoof

praise Felagund and here is his device

what a great bro

Because white girls fuck dogs

Yeah but why do you keep on posting it

Someone else posted it originally and the naivete and insecurity of it made me laugh.

I am enjoying your exchange but let's decide who we would fuck in Arda.

Here by Goldberry, if you want Bombadil's seconds.

Maybe you guys are into sindar girls. So here is the ultimate grey elf gal

maybe a Valië, hippie chick, digs trees

Last not least can't go wrong with wincest.
Fëanor was a stand up guy compared with Túrin, what a cunt... I mean I'd like him better if he just admited he was a cunt, and he's thing was killing and not giving a fuck,

I wouldn't read it. Literary homosex is for the gays and effeminate ivory tower types who might as well be.

Here is Feanor's Heraldic Device.

Feanor did nothing wrong. Except dying.

That's the silmaril in the center.

Finaly I give Luthien's device, quite something.

>Luthien's device

Anyone here read The Bear and the Serpent yet?

Where?

>tfw new Undying Mercenaries this month

Thanks a lot user, will check those out. I have nothing against D&D fiction.

Young Adult fiction targeted at Christian kids?

How do you go from this...

...to this?

Just finished pic related. Started the sequel today. The Dark Forest. Great stuff. Who even knew Chinese sci fi was a thing?

No forced love stories, rarely explored concepts, cool characters. Check it out.

What's wrong with fantasy authors?

These stupid hats they wear. What's their problem?

I'm about to go into Nemesis Games

Is there a book or series like these? I really like the theme of not being overtly futuristic while having plausible concepts. Not to mention the grit.

Rothfuss is a bad writ-

I'm surprised there's no Neil Gaiman quote since he seems to show up everywhere.

This. What the fuck is going on?

Mars Trilogy?

Who is the best out of the big three science fiction writers?

I will never understand the hype for him. Why does he get so much praise? The Name of the Wind is average and the sequel was awful

Arthur C. Clarke.
They all have their high points though.

Stanislaw

>just finished BotSS
When Horn fell into that cave that Krait later rescued him from, he saw a man with a long nose, I think it was, that touched his forehead with something. Was that Severian?

Word on the street is Target and Walmart broke street dates too many times, and TOR isn't fucking around anymore.
Walmart won't get it on shelves until the 16th.

Interesting. Thanks.

This, that fat turd martin won't release winds of winter before the show is finished.

His works are beautiful, philosophical, and speculative: he's a recognized grand master with several hugos and nebulas to his name, he's more classically sci-fi than half the authors on your "selected" lists: and yet he is unknown almost everywhere. If you really want to introduce people to good sci-fi, and not just rehash the same bland recommendations everyone makes, ADD SIMAK. I will make the image if you agree to put at the top of these thread.s