Do you consider a slice of prime rib to be a steak? If you slice the meat thin enough, you have a slice of roast beef...

Do you consider a slice of prime rib to be a steak? If you slice the meat thin enough, you have a slice of roast beef. If a slice of prime rib is a steak, what is the dividing line between steak and roast beef? How thick does it have to be cut before it's considered a steak? This is a very important question. Lives are at steak.

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/steak
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

not helpful in the least

Dunno, I prefer tri-tip anyways.

prime rib is a roast, steaks are cut from the same slab and are called rib eyes. Prime rib is roast beef.

What about a ham steak?

What about it?

Is a ham steak a steak, or is just a thick slice of ham?

Okay, so is a slice of roast beef a steak? Is a ham steak a steak?

IS A PRIME RIB A STEAK? YES SIR NO?

Answer me with "yes" or "no"

Is a prime rib a steak?

Theres no hard and fast definition. I'd say it's a steak if it's intended for one person and a roast if it's intended for multiple. If you take a roast, cook it, then slice it, I'd still call it a roast.

Then why is a ham steak called a ham steak, when it's the ham version of a thick slice of prime rib?

NO

>Theres no hard and fast definition

Here's a ham steak. How thin would I have to slice it in order for it to be considered a slice of ham and not a ham steak?

"Prime" denotes a rating given to the meat by the USDA. Rib specifies the (sub)primal the cut comes from.

Therefore, asking for "prime rib" is sort of like asking for "diet soda". OK, but what kind?

You have roasts, which are typically one cut of meat more than 2.5 pounds.
Then you have steaks which are less than 2.5 lb but typically more than a quarter of an inch thick. Roast beef could refer to any of this, but typically refers to thin-cut prime rib roast.

The ham is the upper portion of the rear legs of the pig. Last time I checked there were no ribs there.

A steak is any cut of meat thinner/lighter than a roast, regardless of where it's cut

About an eighth of an inch

If you take a prime rib roast and slice it to individual sizes, you'd get a rib eye steak.
Probably thin enough that one piece wouldn't be sufficient for one person.

Prime rib is an extremely common menu in steakhouses across America. It's always a slice of rib roast. If you don't know this, then you aren't an America or you're extremely poor, and either way I don't care about your opinion.

I'm a fucking butcher moron, it's the other douche trying to claim a pig's ribs are next to its ass.

Yes, prime rib to the layman refers exclusively to prime-quality meat from the rib sub primal. Whether or not it came from a prime rib roast or a prime ribe-eye depends on how it was cut prior to being cooked, and how it was cooked

menu item*
American*
I'm byt I'm still right.

Are you perchance from Ohio or somewhere else in he Midwest?

If I go into a steakhouse an order prime rib, I know what I'm going to get every single time. Only the autistic would get bent out of shape about something so ubiquitous. Get the fuck out of my thread, faggot, and never come back. Also, a ham steak is the ham version of prime rib because they're both thick cut slices of roasts served as steaks. Fuck off.

you're a special kind of retarded aren't you

Everyone knows what "prime rib" means. Stop being pedantic.

You literally asked in the op what a prime rib is considered

I gave you the exact definition as used in a butchery and now you're telling me "hurr fucking durr stop being pedantic"

I asked what a SLICE of prime rib is considered. As in, what you would get if you went into a restaurant and ordered prime rib. Is it a steak, or just a thick slice of roast beef? Is there a dividing line between the two?

Now that's pedantics
I will say it again
If your piece of prime rib is under two and a half pounds, or is only one rib, it is a steak
Anything larger it is a prime rib roast
Generally the thing you'd get at a restaurant by ordering a prime rib would be a steak.

Everyone understands that a slice of prime rib is cut from a cooked rib roast. That was never at question. It's universally understood, and you're adding nothing by repeating it. The question is whether it's a steak or just thick sliced roast beef.

It's both

So is a roast beef sandwich actually a steak sandwich?

Yeah

i would say it depends mostly on the size and formation of the cut, as you can have steaks from a dozen different parts of the cow. on the other hand, steaks can be made from other animals and (arguably) vegetables. also, steaks are normally cut to be grilled/seared, rather than braised or roasted.

as for cutting a cooked prime rib, i guess the only difference would be the thickness of the cut.

I don’t consider it a steak. For me, a steak is cooked individually, not roasted as a solid chunk of beef and then sliced after being cooked.

It's a fucking piece of meat that they cut steaks from. So yes, it's one big fucking steak because it's a huge chunk of steak. Only autistic assholes would be so pedantic to disagree.

Will there ever be a consensus on this issue?

>I'm a fucking moron
ftfy
Everyone knows that prime is a grade.
Everyone knows prime rib is a cut.
Even butchers.

>what is the dividing line between steak and roast beef?
An inch, maybe 3/4ths of an inch.
Stop being autistic.

What if you cook a roast, cut a slice off, and then quickly sear it?

a steak is a slice of meat cooked on each side.

what if I slice it so thin that the individual atoms get sliced in half

Then you're Wolverine

Yeah, it is just size. A steak is just a specific portion of meat.

People also call thick slices of ham ham steaks.

But what's the cutoff?

it's cutoff the rib section

Heh