You missed half the book user. You could follow along well and understood what was happening but you missed half of it...

You missed half the book user. You could follow along well and understood what was happening but you missed half of it. You don't even know that you missed half of it. You are below this piece of art.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3dtqt0bXb4Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

jokes on you i haven't read any of it

i have bad day so i go to Veeky Forums and post about how smarter i am making sure to be as vague as posible sinse im rly not :(

I suspect this is true actually

True. I had to read a synopsis of every chapter just to follow the plot. I get the point of the book I believe.

The reason the book ends before your find out about the lot is because the point had already been made. It like notes from the underground in that way. The point was that this lady was ready to follow any glimpse of meaning endlessly because of the vapid ness of her society. The book is constantly talking about the times and how hedonistic and purposeless they are. It is a similar critique to inherent vice (which I have not read but I'm assuming since it's about the 60s and drugs) but the point is made by different means. In drug focused media people try to blunt their perception or heighten there sensitivity to banal meaning. In the crying of lot 49 however the main character desperately follows and scraps she can get. It is a way of saying that all that is left are scraps and hallucinations.

It doesn't have to do with vapidity. The clues she follows usually point to something, it just never ends. Many of the people hip to something about Trystero are also artists, scholars, resistance members... Hedonism doesn't have anything to do with it. It's about intrigue, paranoia, etc. Dopers and artists are just in all of Pynchon's stuff but all of them are keyed into some other perception which sometimes points them towards seeing a PART of a system that they're entrenched within - some struggle to see the rest of it, like Slothrop and Oedipus, but not all of them.

Also, the conspiracy stuff in Inherent Vice is probably the most spelled out of all his narratives. People don't believe the dopers because it's the era where dopers are being character-assassinated by the media and government bodies.

i read it when i was 16

>The book is constantly talking about the times and how hedonistic and purposeless they are. It is a similar critique to inherent vice

You don't know Pynch, man. IV is about '60s innocence being corrupted by the FBI in their war against communism.

All went over my head when I read it

pic related its the musical equivalent

I got most of it on reread

>Say Oedipa Mass slowly and aloud
>"Head-Up-Ma-Ass"

Really tickles the ol' noggin

wow

Who has time to write tryhard interpretations like this?
>I had to read a synopsis of every chapter just to follow the plot
Are you retarded? The plot is pretty simple to follow.

>user walks into thread ready to call everyone a brainlet for not getting TCOL49
>reads a factually accurate interpretation that makes him realize he's a brainlet
>proceeds to call it and everyone else retarded to hide his embarrassment
there's no shame in humility user

>The plot

who woulda known!

I wish you knew how dumb you are, but you'll never introspect deeply enough to find out.

That's actually really cool. Got a link to the whole essay?

I took it as a stab at the postal service of the early 20th century, and the modern one to some extent.
The messenger controls all.

?

Do we really believe Pynchon was trying to do all this shit? And I guess, moreover, does it matter if he were or weren’t?

I never took a comp lit or literary analysis course.

Thx, lol
I’m having trouble with GR and Crying, anons
but Crying shouldn’t be a problem—boobs trigger alert:
youtu.be/3dtqt0bXb4Y

Thanks for linking that lecture. The professor was a great and fluent lecturer, and she had some cool observations to share.

It shows

Exactly

How does he do it