Is philosophy basically the most pointless fucking field to get into in the world...

Is philosophy basically the most pointless fucking field to get into in the world? I've been taking philosophy for a whole semester, and what it seems to be is the opposite of science. It's like the questions that it deals with have almost exclusively been trying to prove metaphysical nonsense, whereas these concepts don't lead us to real answers, because there's so much about the universe that can't be uncovered until we observe it more.

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/files/5740/5740-pdf.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is–ought_problem
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pointless for who or what?
>opposite of science
Fucking idiot

Also, not literature

science is literally pointless. oooh some new invisible rocks wow. such galaxies so far away amaze

stupid as fuck

Do you know what Ph.D. stands for? If you want to be a scientist, why are you in philosophy? Unless you are interested in philosophy, or you want to be a lawyer or something, then what the fuck are you doing?

Just read analytic phil if you can't stand the continental autism

Engineer here: I wish I studied philosophy

Dunno I studied philosophy and now I'm rich.

more like the other way around

How'd you do that?

Because there's actually philosophy I like, that doesn't just deal with metaphysical bullshit. I really like Wittgenstein, and listening to Bertrand Russell tear apart the greeks and their bullshit, and Sartre and Camus, and Nietzsche, and Schopenhauer, and Cioran.

If you are majoring in philosophy, suck it up. You can't only study the stuff you like. If you aren't majoring in it, pick ethics courses or some shit. Nobody talks metaethics anymore so you'll be gravy. It's funny you like Wittgenstein, because the Tractatus is the most metaphysical anti-metaphysics text I can think of.

Go bait on plebbit

I like wittgenstein because I like listening to documentaries about him, admittedly. I don't know much about his actual philosophy, but it doesn't sound like metaphysical bullshit from what I have gathered. All the other philosophers except nietzsche I have read. Nietzsche I've listened to lectures and videos on.

>Russell
>Sartre
>Camus
>Nietzsche
are you trying to fuck with us

No ma'am.

the tractatus is probably the worst in terms of metaphysical dogmatism

"The world is determined by atomic facts that are independent of each other and occur or don't occur with probability 1/2" like ok dude

the fuck dude

it seems like you're too much of a brainlet for philosophy

maybe try economics

Oh boy. This is the Tractatus Philosophicus.
gutenberg.org/files/5740/5740-pdf.pdf
Skip Russell's introduction, he totally misunderstood Wittgenstein (and Witty even said as much). Good luck.

>Is philosophy basically the most pointless fucking field to get into in the world?
Absolutely. Every pointful activity is being automated by machines. But philosophy, since it has no point to begin with, is the most proper activity to humans.

Read Nietzsche, even if his philosophy was 100% incorrect his work would be valued for its prose alone. That shit is beautiful.

>Have you ever heard of the madman who on a bright morning lighted a lantern and ran to the market-place calling out unceasingly: "I seek God! I seek God!" As there were many people standing about who did not believe in God, he caused a great deal of amusement. Why! Is he lost? said one. Has he strayed away like a child? said another. Or does he keep himself hidden? Is he afraid of us? Has he taken a sea voyage? Has he emigrated? The people cried out laughingly, all in a hubbub. The insane man jumped into their midst and transfixed them with his glances. "Where is God gone?" he called out. "I mean to tell you! We have killed him you and I! We are all his murderers! But how have we done it? How were we able to drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the whole horizon? What did we do when we loosened this earth from its sun? Whither does it now move? Whither do we move? Away from all suns? Do we not dash on unceasingly? Backwards, sideways, forwards, in all directions? Is there still an above and below? Do we not stray, as through infinite nothingness? Does not empty space breathe upon us? Has it not become colder? Does not night come on continually, darker and darker? Shall we not have to light lanterns in the morning? Do we not hear the noise of the grave-diggers who are burying God? Do we not smell the divine putrefaction? For even Gods putrefy! God is dead! God remains dead! And we have killed him! How shall we console our selves, the most murderous of all murderers? The holiest and the mightiest that the world has so far possessed, has bled to death under our knife, who will wipe the blood from us? With what water could we cleanse ourselves? What lustrums, what sacred games shall we have to devise? Is not the magnitude of this deed too great for us? Shall we not ourselves have to become Gods, merely to seem worthy of it? There never was a greater event and on account of it, all who are born after us belong to a higher history than any history so far!" Here the madman was silent and looked again at his hearers ; they also were silent and looked at him in surprise. At last he threw his lantern on the ground, so that it broke in pieces and was extinguished. " I come too early," he then said, " I am not yet at the right time. This prodigious event is still on its way, and is travelling, it has not yet reached men's ears. Lightning and thunder need time, the light of the stars needs time, deeds need time, even after they are done, to be seen and heard. This deed is as yet further from them than the furthest star, and yet they have done it!" It is further stated that the madman made his way into different churches on the same day, and there intoned his Requiem aeternam deo.
-The Gay Science

>the greeks and their bullshit
lol

>How were we able to drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the whole horizon?
This prose is so tasteful

ha gay

If you keep trying to answer questions that have no actual answers then you never stop thinking

Biochemistry student here, disliking it more and more and just wishing I could study philosophy instead. Someone talk some sense into me

A BSc is fucking useless. At least do something you enjoy.

This is effectively a philosophy board. Look at the rules.

That's true. But you basically have to sell your soul after graduation with a philosophy and become either a lawyer or advertiser, which are the most garbage human beings in existence. At least with science I could do some kind of good

If it weren't for the empiricists, we wouldn't have the Scientific Method. Checkmate.

If you knew a bit more about philosophy you'd probably realize that what you're getting at right now is called "logical positivism" and it's been almost unanimously torn to shreds as a theory for over half a century.

Skim this, it's one of the many reasons why:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is–ought_problem

Wrong and wrong. I'm going into agriculture after I get bored.
>industrialism is good
Try again.

You confuse philosophy with "philosophy".

Looks like somebody was into Diogenes.

>he believes logical positivism
You're doing bad philosophy whether you're aware of it or not, bud. Might as well try getting better at it.

As a CompEng and an enthusiast in Astronomy, your closed-mindedness disgusts me.

Agriculture with a philosophy degree? Explain.
>industrialism is good
Of course not. Sure as hell better than pissing your life working as a scumbag advertiser though.

It's hard to explain if you don't go to my school.

>Wittgenstein, and Bertrand Russell, and Sartre and Camus, and Nietzsche, and Schopenhauer, and Cioran.
This is fake, and gay, and bait.

>exclusively been trying to prove metaphysical nonsense
>Bertrand Russell tear apart the greeks and their bullshit
>Sartre and Camus
>I like wittgenstein admittedly. I don't know much about his actual philosophy

That's not true, on the top of my head, casualty started as a philosophical problem then got a legit scientific approach and study using probability lately. Science is about what we know, Philosophy is about what we cant do with Science yet.

Wrong, science has nothing to do with knowledge. Try again, STEMsperg.

>Science is about what we know

Another retarded anti-philosophy thread :(

>Webster dictionary:
>science
>the state of knowing
>knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding
>a department of systematized knowledge as an object of study
>something (such as a sport or technique) that may be studied or learned like systematized knowledge
>knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method
>such knowledge or such a system of knowledge concerned with the physical world and its phenomena

Fuck religion.

>Science is what we know

Space doesn't even exist. NASA is a Jewish propagandist institution. I laugh at you if you think there really is a dark side of the moon.

>there is a moon

Yes, but with only one side and its light, not dark. And no, the light isn't a reflection of the Sun's light.

>Is philosophy basically the most pointless fucking field to get into in the world?
>I've been taking philosophy for a whole semester
holy shit this post

> and what it seems to be is the opposite of science.
holy SHIT this post

>be STEMfag
>get internship at papple working on the fuckphone 9000
>instead of putting education to higher causes, just spend time figuring out how to make each new rendition of the fuckphone even more fragile so as to make the fuckphone N+1 more marketable
>realize you will never make important discoveries and will forever be doomed to enable capitalist market exploiters
>vainly try and feel like less of a waste by using your mass intellect to argue with flat earthers on social media sites
EVERY
TIME

>webster dictionary
Lay definition. Try again.

>tfw fell for the stem meme
>tfw going to spend the next few years preventing brainlet factory workers from accidentally killing themselves

yes truly a field for the intellectually superior

It's a means to an ends. It benefits the student in other areas. It's not meant to get you a job in "philosophy".

This so hard, holy shit

The study of philosophy by itself is nothing more than a bunch of old men sitting around bantering about metaphysics.

Philosophy is meant to be applied not just to itself, but to every other area of human thought and life.

Studying philosophy without practicing it in other areas of your life is like designing and building a car without ever actually driving it or seeing if it can run in the first place.

If a person looks outside in todays world and thinks to themself: "I can see clearly." They are a fool. What can I do but to study philosophy? What other hope do I have of seeing anything in this thick fog we are born in to?

this
#fuckthesystem
#fuckcapitalism
#bernie2020

You are actually the worst kind of person there is. You absolute fucking moron.
Never saged a thread this hard.

Wtf this had nothing to do with OP

how is the is-ought problem even a problem for logical positivists?

also logical positivism itself wasn't nearly as "dude science lmao" as redditors like OP are

Because you can't scientifically derive moral or behavioral guidance. Even if you use scientific metrics to measure them by, you're still using an un-empirical philosophical basis to choose which metrics to prioritize.

Not really. You could base it wholly on biology + adjustment for culture and circumstance. This would be the most "natural" and stable, some form of utilitarianism would be the most "beneficial" and efficient. But deciding that a given notion of "natural" or "beneficial" should be axiomatic, with ethics and behavioural guidance building on top of it, requires non-science. Everything starts with some axiom or vague direction that all stems from. Ultimately you have to make a subjective fundamental decision or conclusion, for everything.

>You could base it wholly on biology
Stop. Right here you've already made a philosophical choice.
>Ultimately you have to make a subjective fundamental decision or conclusion, for everything.
Yes, that's my point. Why are we disagreeing?

Not OP, but I'm in my third year of Uni as a math major and I've been feeling a lot of ennui just from the realization that there isn't much to do with the degree that really does much that isn't for some faceless corporation. Maybe I'm just retarded

Try out actuarial work. People need insurance and you can help them actually afford it