If you own a kindle or a similar device, could you share your experience please ITT...

If you own a kindle or a similar device, could you share your experience please ITT? Especially interested in the online library. What are the prices like? Do you find all the books you are looking for? I never even touched one of these tablets, but would like to know whether they are worth it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6mIGirPScjU?t=252
pcworld.com/article/2044412/convert-a-pdf-for-kindle-viewing-no-software-required.html
amazon.com/Limited-Premium-Leather-Kindle-Paperwhite/dp/B00U0IZD2W/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1510853379&sr=8-37&keywords=kindle paperwhite cases
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes. They're also good if you're in university and have to read a lot of PDFs. Way better than a monitor.

I have over 400 books on Kindle. They're cheap as Fuck usually unless it's textbooks

Which ones can display pdf files? How?

all of them
plug them into your computer and drag/drop usually

I don't have much money and I think that an ereader would be a good investment instead of buying physical books and/or reading pirated books from my phone(it's probably destroying my eyes desu).

which one should I get? are there any cheap ones that are good and what is the best one to pirate with?

The formatting is usually awful, especially for two-page scans unless you do some trickery to make it read like a comic, but: Get Calibre too.

I have the 9.7" Kindle DXG for 7 years now and it's the best thing I ever got. Can't advise on the online library because I'm a pirate. .mobi and .pdf only

Thanks for the opinions.

I think I will buy a simple paperwhite and then get my books for free.

got an oasis 2, quite nice apart from the book ads. overall the portability and ability to instantly read anything seems ok/10 for me

just look at YT reviews to get an idea of what to get, better options are out there

I have 200+ books and haven't paid a single cent. It does save a lot of money, tho I still buy a lot of actual books

I have a Kobo Aura 2, one of the newer models. Paid about $120, plus $30 for a cover that puts the reader to sleep when you close it.

They are no replacement for the real thing but they do have 2 advantages that I think makes them worth the $100+/-.

1) It's a good way to preview books. You can pirate them or download them for free on various websites and see if you like the book. If you do, buy it in real life. No more impulse buying and then regretting it.

2) Portability. This is obvious. I travel a bit and enjoy walking around my city. If you got a satchel maybe you can take 2 books. I like to juggle my books.

As for pricing, from the Kobo store it's all fair enough. The average modern book will go for about $13. Older books which have been around for a few years will go for about $5.
And if you're like me and love penny dreadfuls, literature from the 19th century, gothic horrors, etc, you can pick up compilations of even 30+ stories for less than $1.

A final note, check which formats the reader supports before buying. For example, if you like comics or manga, make sure it can support it.

All these prices are my estimates. I am from Switzerland.

He's trolling. PDFs are awful on ereaders. Proper ebooks only.

A used kindle paperwhite is the best bang for your buck in my opinion

If you get Calibre it'll convert everything into the correct formats for whatever ereader you have

kindle is good for long hours . but for mobility i am using my phone all time.

i read on train, walking, waiting

>reads while walking
i've seen people do this and it's pure autism

i have been looking for a good pdf ereader for like 5 years now and have not been able to find one. i generally read math textbooks that dont translate well to epub crap formats.

the bottlenecks is not screen size or refresh rate, its:
> interface & controls: ability to browse without hassle, easy search, good handling of 2 column pdfs. the thing that came the closest to being decent at this was the old Kindle Keyboard, the one with the circular keyboard buttons.
> ram. if you jump quickly across large swaths of a big pdf scan they have trouble loading and caching pages to make the experience not completely sluggish.

looked into it again a few months back and it looks like nothing has improved

sucks desu

Can't comment on an actual kindle, but I use the app and pay for kindle unlimited. I have a pretty good library that I've probably paid about £50 for. So yeah, i think it's decent

I have a kindle but never bought a single book. A lot of older works you can find legally for free and newer stuff you can find on sites like b-ok.
For syncing books I use Calibre which is neat because you can also convert epub to mobi without needing a separate program.

Are you 12? That's not what trolling is.
I regularly read PDFs on my Kindle. It's cheaper and less wasteful than printing them out and my eyes get sore from monitors.

It's horrible for bifold book scans, but fine for stuff published online or formatted to single-page.

No e ink reader is designed for pdfs, just get a big tablet

Kindle is shit for pdfs, if it's a moderately large file it will only crash after a minute of stalling

Wrong. Stop cumming on it and maybe it will work.

You are the nigger. Pdfs are shit on eReaders

bump

Kobo or Kindle?
That is the question.

Kindle. Kobos are a meme. They're slow, unresponsive and glitchy as all fuck. Just get a kindle.

thanks friendo

I've looked at a bunch of reviews for Kindles and Kobos and every time they get to PDFs it looks like absolute shit, even on the most expensive models.

My online library is sci-hub, the prices are the only ones I'd pay.

I find almost every book I'm looking for.

They're lying to you. It looks fine.

I pirate anything I want to read so its great if your a cheap nigger

Why do you people pay £100 for an ereader and then some of you for "books" on top of that? What's wrong with the library if you want free books?

youtu.be/6mIGirPScjU?t=252

This is not okay.

> trying to have a cozy e book read session in bed
> gross backlit alien torch blowing its load in your face of billions of unnatural photons literally every femtosecond

pick one.

> inb4 f.lux
fake as fuck, does nothing, the fundamental problem is the backlight which makes my eyes bleed

i alread ylook at a backlit screen 20 hours a day, reading a book through one is hell

If only there was some way to get ebooks for free...

>pictures
That's your problem.

PDFs and other non-reflowable formats are incredibly inconvenient to read on e-readers. It's a fact.
>fake as fuck
If you're a technically illiterate /g/tard you don't need to scream about it so badly.

I've saved so much money. You get over the fact that it's not an actual physical book pretty quickly and still get engrossed regardless. They're worth it.

Finally went all fatcat and got me a new Oasis. It's fukken nice but I wonder if maybe it actually is too big. I probably wouldn't say the same thing if I were trying to read erotic doujinshi on a smaller device again.

Also the cover kind of sucks.

Fucking this.

As a Paperwhite owner, just remember that PDFs are useless, and apparently converting pdf to mobi is impossible (take into account that I'm computer illiterate so there may be a way idunno).
I'm very satisfied though. I've been reading now more than I ever have just because it's so fucking comfortable. I don't need a lightsource and I can hold it with one hand.
Some books are also very hard to pirate, especially if you want them in anything other than english

Use K2pdfopt to crop out the margins. No problems then nine times out of ten.

It's autistic

Literally the vape of literature

If audio books is the weed of literature then kindle is the vaping

Free pdf files are the crack/heroin of literature

>If audio books is the weed of literature then kindle is the vaping
that should be the other way around because audio books are easier to use (and better for your eyes) compared to smoking literature

How comfy is it holding it with one hand? That design is kinda wack but I see what they're trying to do and I actually can see myself buying this just for the comfortability of how it's designed.

I use a Lenovo Tab 10, no e-reader for me. It's a weak tablet but has a great battery, which is good for reading on the go.

Pros:

- faster
- access to other apps/means of storing and organizing books
- easy access to google/internet, so I can research or reference particular things as I read about them
- can download pdfs/books on tablet, in browser, without having to transfer from computer
- supports all book formats
- no adds in OS
- can view things in colour
- less fragile
- easier to find a larger screen
- ability to rotate tablet/can make content fit tablet horizontally
- just a lot more versatile in general, can also use it to listen to music while I read, etc.

Cons

- worse battery life than ereader
- glare

This x 100000

Pretty damn comfy, but over long periods of time you will find yourself switching hands or using it two-handed like a book of comparable size. I find that I'm still too limp-wristed to hold it above me in bed.

>Constantly reading PDFs
>Going Blind
>Friend tells me about secret free printing on campus
>Never have to read off a screen agian

doesn't your campus have a library?

I own a tablet but you can usually find whatever app your local library rents ebooks for on it, in my case Overdrive, then likely rent for free

I'm convinced this is bait every time.

Kobos are not a meme, I found my KA1 superior to my Kindle Voyage in so many ways. just beee yourself.
>t. the eternal Kobo shill

>turns on the crematorium backlight
>battery dies before the first page turn completes

>can't control blue levels
>has crippling insomnia

>laggy
>clunky
>epubs, mobi, and any other format other than kepub runs slow
>no quick panel view for manga
>might as well not even try to zoom in on PDFs
>updates cause older models to bootloop
Nope it's a meme

Is there more than 1 jailbreak for kindle? If so which is best?

sold

Kindles are awesome. The screen looks like paper and is easy on the eyes.

But the real secret is that I don't use the kindle store. I download all my books and sideload them as pdfs onto the device. For anyone who thinks pdfs dont work well on kindle, you haven't been using the right kind of pdf.

You want to get one that's all text, not a 1:1 image scan of the book. For example, if you go to gutenberg and grab the text as a pdf, you can email it to your kindle with the subject "Convert" and it will convert into an e-book that changes font and scales to the page like a normal epub. it works exceedingly well.

pcworld.com/article/2044412/convert-a-pdf-for-kindle-viewing-no-software-required.html

Kindle is alright but PDFs never convert correctly to mobi, it's barely readable.

I do mail-to-Kindle now so I can synch shit to my phone when I don't have my Kindle around or don't want to take it out, like on my ten-minute train ride. Can Amazon decide they don't like me synching pirated books or nefarious erotica?

>converting PDFs
There's your problem. Just use K2pdfopt like I said .

Is a basic Kindle good enough? I don't care about the lights or anything on the other models; I just care about the resolution and file format support.

Yeah it's probably the best out of all the "cheap" e-readers. File format and resolution don't matter regardless of what you get so long as you use Calibre.

Alright, thanks.

I use kindle paperwhite and almost never pay any money for the hundreds of books I have in its library. I still also get some physical books too though if I like them a lot and usually lift them anyways.

Stop being poor you fucking nigger and get some self respect.

I've owned a paperwhite for about 2 years now. I haven't bought a single book from the kindle store, but just use calibre to put epubs onto it.

I've read maybe a dozen or so books on it; it hasn't taken the place of printed books for me though.

My wife also has one, and reads a bunch of trashy immature lit on it.

I'll stick up for Kobo. My Kindle 4 was ace and lasted years and years until I dun goofed by sticking it in my back pocket one time.

But my A1 is a sweet, sweet replacement. It definitely presents books better, I appreciate the higher resolution (fine, yeah, it was built years later so it oughta be good on this) and it just looks and feels the best of any current e-reader.

Battery doesn't last months like my K4, but fuck it.

Does anyone read on an iPad? I just bought one yesterday and am going to put my KAO in eBay later. Any suggestions for apps? I've never used any Apple products.

Kobo isn't a meme, PDFs with eInk is the meme. plus, why the fuck would you use an epub and not a kepub? conversion on calibre is 1:1 and takes a second. also mobi -> epub is more accurate than epub -> mobi. epubs are far more prevalent than mobis anyways.

If the big selling point about Kobos is that they can read any format, then what the hell is the point when you are better off converting them anyway? All I ever here from koshills is "muh epub support." It's an empty selling point.

And sometimes you can't help but have to read a PDF, for rarer books. But that's alright, I just crop 'em and they're fine. Even then, they are managable on Kindles. Not on Kobos.

>Can Amazon decide they don't like me synching pirated books or nefarious erotica?
Really as far as they're concerned, you could be transferring pdfs that you yourself bought somewhere else. Plausible deniability and the (im guessing) relatively low-usage of email-to-kindle (a lot of Kindle people aren't quite tech experts) probably gives them more than enough excuse not to expend the effort to persecute you. It would be extremely expensive to analyze and double check every single text that every user loads, accounting for all the different formats and whitespace and OCR mispellings and literally millions of gigabytes of every published book out there, it's too much for them to give a shit about.

how dense can you be not to realize that
>muh epub support
is synonymous with
>muh kepub support

a conversion from epub to kepub IS ONE TO ONE! a conversion from epub to mobi (or vice-versa) IS NOT ONE TO ONE!

But I still have to convert it. I can't just drag and drop. So what's the point? Yeah I get the 1:1 thing, but I have never had a problem converting epubs to mobi in three years. Circumstantial evidence, I know, but regular books aren't that hard, and Kobo doesn't have any additional value.

You're ether using some uncomplicated PDF's or lying. Anything with a hint of proper scientific book will be unreadable. Now if you've got something in the range of 7'' or up your eink, you're in business.

They're more expensive, but you won't be going back to smaller format.

I have a Galaxy Tablet are there any good apps to move shit from calibere to my tablet?

Came here to say this. Calibre is a must have on your PC if you get a kindle.

i want that case

Thanks amazon representative

Is Oasis worth the price jump?

Physical books > ebooks

I owned an ereader and it was pretty much a nightmare. Most of the ebooks you download are poorly formatted/scanned. Forget about reading PDFs unless you don’t mind zooming and panning each and every page. Unless you want to buy ebooks, then I don’t know how well it works.
Keep in mind you have to keep that shit charged(everywhere you go) and away from water. Then there’s the fact that these things tend to get outdated and support dropped by manufacturers.

Physical books don’t need electricity, can take a beating and they are...well...physical. If you read some articles where people say physical feel if the book > ebook then that’s what I mean.
I decommissioned my ereader a while ago now.

t. Tech illiterate moran

it works fine for me :)

I actually forgot to mention - I’m more tech literate than both of you combined
;^)

>pdf on a ereader
>having battery problems
>tech literate
Yeah no

amazon.com/Limited-Premium-Leather-Kindle-Paperwhite/dp/B00U0IZD2W/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1510853379&sr=8-37&keywords=kindle paperwhite cases

It was $30 when I bought it on Prime Day, expensive for a case even then. It's the kind that builds with age though.

Still love my keyboard, although the battery life isn't too great anymore

works fine for me :)

>mom texts me
>says Kindle I gave her suddenly doesn't work
>says it's on, but she can't swipe
>battery fine
>have no idea how to help her over the phone

tell her to turn it off and back on again

Have her restart the kindle by holding the power button for a minute.

I love it. It's worth it, and you'll think "I can't believe I waited this long to buy it."

That is nice. I wish more leather products were like that instead of the shiny shit they put on them.

I literally did.

Another point to consider is that you can bring hundreds of ebooks with you. Okay, do you actually read all of those books at the same time? No, you read one book at a time, and when you’re done you put it on the shelf in your personal library...oh wait...nevermind. You can’t because ebooks are not physical. Oops!

Then there’s the fact that ebooks are completely digital. So if you lost your account somehow then they are all gone. At the same time. Unless you back them up to your local storage but what if that goes down too? Oh, you will have another backup of a backup? Okay there sweetie...

Bitch. I have 3 backups. Never respond to me again.

Do you not know what cloud storage is?