How did a woman write something as good as frankstenstein?

how did a woman write something as good as frankstenstein?

Percy

fuck off you dumb revisionist

how did anyone?

Man I kind of find Percy Shelley overrated.

I find both of the Shelleys kind of overrated.

Wow, it's almost like women are people too. Ever thought of that you dumb incel? I'm glad you virgins got you're subreddit banned. Don't post on my board again until you've felt the touch of a woman's vagina little boy.

Children are people as well, but they don't write good books

It's not good, tho. Maybe it's ok against the scifi genre. Percy really tried to make it better.

Did the husband really ghost writer it?wtf. that's just sad. have some dignity

what the fuck. they were degenerate af in like the 1700s. ? wouldnt they be flogged to death for this sjw type shit back then

Percy Shelley seems to have wanted Mary Godwin and Hogg to become lovers;[45] Mary did not dismiss the idea, since in principle she believed in free love.[46] In practice, however, she loved only Percy Shelley and seems to have ventured no further than flirting with Hogg.[47][note 4] On 22 February 1815, she gave birth to a two-months premature baby girl, who was not expected to survive.[48] On 6 March, she wrote to Hogg:

nah he's fucking with you. the percy edit is considered the worst edit, so it's hard to even find now. most of the versions published show mary's original in place of percy's choices.

it's mostly that she finished the story (better than anyone else), wasn't polidori (who finished bryon's story the vampyre and it's awful, poor polidori), and had grown up in the kind of lit family all the romantics wanted in on (raised by goodwin and wollstonecraft is +5 lit points in any era)

it's also good because they're rich and on grand tour so she gets a head start on seeing frogs legs dancing from electricity on her peers back in england, so by the time her story broke, it's not just the fresh and new of byron et al, it's the fresh and new of galvanization which had just hit england.

it's a bit like flann o'brien writing about electron transference and nuclear fusion in 1939, he was in early on information which was about to define the age to come. any writer would give their left arm for that kind of scoop, but probably neither saw it coming so much as saw it arrive first.

>(raised by goodwin and wollstonecraft is +5 lit points in any era)
godwin not goodwin.

AHAHHAHAHA women btfo
> The British Critic attacks the novel's flaws as the fault of the author: "The writer of it is, we understand, a female; this is an aggravation of that which is the prevailing fault of the novel; but if our authoress can forget the gentleness of her sex, it is no reason why we should; and we shall therefore dismiss the novel without further comment"

why is all this gothic shit so comfy I wonder

i dunno brother but try the moonstone if you haven't.

LORD BYRON

why do these lifes seem like they are stories themselves. were they all edgy and wante to die in dramatic ways or ...
>On 8 July 1822, less than a month before his thirtieth birthday, Shelley drowned in a sudden storm on the Gulf of Spezia while returning from Leghorn (Livorno) to Lerici in his sailing boat, the Don Juan. He was returning from having set up The Liberal with the newly arrived Leigh Hunt. The name Don Juan, a compliment to Byron, was chosen by Edward John Trelawny, a member of the Shelley–Byron Pisan circle. However, according to Mary Shelley's testimony, Shelley changed it to Ariel, which annoyed Byron, who forced the painting of the words "Don Juan" on the mainsail. The vessel, an open boat, was custom-built in Genoa for Shelley. It did not capsize but sank; Mary Shelley declared in her "Note on Poems of 1822" (1839) that the design had a defect and that the boat was never seaworthy. In fact the Don Juan was seaworthy; the sinking was due to a severe storm and poor seamanship of the three men on board.[32]

I'm reading Frankenstein for the first time and finding it absolutely beautiful. Such a nuanced depiction of human longing, and so well written too. Really shocked by how great I'm finding it to be.

>it's almost like women are people too.
Men are people too and they never wrote Frankenstein.

Because woman are smarter where men are stronger. If women werent beaten to ground by animalistic males we would be in a much more civilized and developed world

Because genetalia doesnt determine talent.

I've heard that Frankenstein is almost as good as Frankstenstein, only the tracts of land aren't as large.

PERCY IS A MAN'S NAME AND HE IS A MAN!

It's almost like they are humans, only smaller.

Best thread of the day.

Women are people too, only smaller

People who wrote good books were once children as far as I know.

huge

Your statement is contradictory and possibly inspired by Beauty and the Beast.

if the animalistic must be strong in order to beat down the women are . . . .

I love this, idek why

male ghost writer wrote it

That's not really a BTFOing

It took Gothic elements and mixed them with Science/Science-fiction, formatted into epistolary and centered it around a complex and at the same time terrfying and empathizing character. It was wild as fuck back then. Edgy before edgy was overused and gothic before it got romanticized. It's one of my favorite works.

to add to this. M.S. wasnt trying to change the scene or make a statement, it was wholy genuinely and wholly from the heart and noggin.