Person thinks they can cook

>person thinks they can cook
>peels shrimp then tosses the shells instead of using them
can't stand this, especially from people who complain that shrimp is so expensive.

i keep shrimp shells in one of those round olive bar containers in my freezer.
they aren't cooked yet, so they're perfect for making stock along with some crab shells and fish bones some times... i love the stock shrimp shells makes.

>it's another "poor wagie gets mad at salaryfags for doing what they want with their food" thread

more like working chefs getting angry at self styled chefs for wasting good ingredients

>it's another "poor wagie gets mad at salaryfags for doing what they want with their food" thread
My first thought too.

>save shell
>not saving shrimp head and brain

Who are you to judge

Do you use bonito flakes and make your own dashi?

shut up weeb.

Basically this

Why would someone want to throw away flavor?
Is it because they are dumb?

I can afford better ingredients than carcasses, Juan

weak bait

like what, shrimp stock? you know that's made with the kind of shit you throw away right?

>totally spies
>weeb
Wew

Go back to your tripe soup

>shrimp stock
Call me a pleb but I have never knowingly used shrimp stock in my life.

>self styled chefs

>being so poor you must recycle the garbage parts of fucking sea flies
Do you also eat your used toilet paper to recycle the nutrients?

this could work

ITT: upper middle cass people laughing while rich chefs stay using the shells
classicism is pathetic

low class detected

nah im upper middle class too
which makes the classicism argument coming from me pretty pathetic too, i know

i dont complain shrimps are expensive but i also dont make any stock so i just toss the little shells.

>eating bug shells
Lmao I don't know why people pretend shrimp and lobster are even good. It used to be poor people food you know.

For fuck sake, just peeled a 100 of these motherfuckers today while throwing away the shells. For what you guys use it? Chewing this shit is like chewing your own nails, so it's problably for making some stock, huh? Btw, what's the biggest shrimp out there? I'm trying to make niguiris with shrimp, but there isn't a good size for making them properly.

You boil them in a seafood stock, its quite good for sauces.

I always make a stock with the shells it only takes @ 30 minutes of simmering. I use it as a miso dashi or ths base for that god of thai soups, tom yom goong.

There's no reason to save bones, shells, and veg scraps if you never use stock often
I mean, save your veg scraps because veg stock is easy to incorporate into everything, but there's no shame in buying stock

It was never poor people food
It used to be plentiful because it was never over-fished, early settlers didn't know how to capture them easily
Then people started eating them more and more
The whole "they served it to prisoners" meme comes from the fact that they served mashed lobster, meaning they didn't bother to take the meat out of the shell

Brainlet detected. Totally Spies is the epitome of fetishes.

>tfw you're allergic to shrimp

it's almost unbeatable for gumbo

And dashi...

You peel the shrimp THEN make a stock with the peels.

There's a vegetarian pecorino romano made using cashews. It's delicious!

>>it's another "poor wagie gets mad at salaryfags for doing what they want with their food" thread
This. And, I don't consider shrimp expensive.

I make my fresh seafood however I want, whether I'm out on the grill, blackening, baking or whatever mood, but I'm not much into stocks and reduction sauces with my seafood, or seafood soups. If I were making a paella or etouffe, I'd be using chicken stock, not seafood stock. For soups, I'd be likely to be adding seafood to a pork kind of base, not seafood stock, yet again. Downplaying the fishiness, really.

Also, shellfish allergy can be triggered by overuse, in my opinion. I avoid glucosamine too. I would hate to develop an allergy. Throw them out, I say.

To further that, already cooked fish shells or bones are not for soup. Yea, unpalated people do that, but fish stock is made from fresh uncooked fish parts, and not for very long at all.
It should never be overly fishy and shrimp shells is a good way to ensure it comes out poorly. Use halibut bones instead.

>all these tastelets and picky eaters that don't like shrimp, pretending that it's because they're "bugs"

You eat bugs too if you eat rice or flour. The number of bugs you've consumed is enormous. Stop being a grilish fagfuck for once in your life.

shut up weeb.

if you prefer to use chicken stock for paella its fine but its a legit way of cooking it and unless you overdo it, it wont get overly fishy. countering fags like op with pretentiousness is a kinda stupid thing to do since regular fishers have been eating shrimps since times where any well off person wouldnt even consider eating them while making fresh fish stock would've been a waste. just because a recipe was caused by low wealth, it doesn't mean it has no merit.

>but there's no shame in buying stock

yes there is

who here sucks on the heads of cooked shrimp after eating the body?

Imagine eating sea scum and complaining about how pricey it is lol

langoustine or some variety of prawns is probably about as big as you'll get without getting the ultra hard shelled species of crustaceans. i only ever use gulf shrimp due to my geographic location, so you'd probably be better waiting for another response.

also, i know the "colossal" are big enough for just about anything you need big ass shrimp for. don't know the lb count of those, though.