Has anyone read this book? I think it's one of the best American novels but it's barely talked about anywhere

Has anyone read this book? I think it's one of the best American novels but it's barely talked about anywhere.

I read it in high school and liked it a lot but I don't remember much of it.

He’s very highly thought of—he also co-wrote
a poetry textbook that is legendary

It's a fantastic book, one of my favorites. The Boss is a great character

It's a solid book. Robert Penn Warren is also a tremendously good poet.

Trying to read Brother To Dragons (Revised) right now. Penn Warren scares me.

No one has ever read it. The fuck kinda question is that... Did you drop on your head in your mom's wound, kid? Answer the question.

Are you autistic? People on the spectrum often have trouble reading social contexts and interpreting non-literal verbal communication.

>he also co-wrote
>a poetry textbook that is legendary
>Robert Penn Warren is also a tremendously good poet.

This.

The author had a solid formation and a great comprehension of classic literature, a great understanding of language, of poetry, rhetoric and all its mechanics (figures of speech like metaphors and similes, for example).

He initially conceived All the Kings Men as a play in verse, like a Shakespearean work, but it the end opted for the novel.

One of the greatest lines I know – worthy of Shakespeare – about human corruption and the perennial danger in our nature of listening more to our ends than to the means we usd to achieve those ends is from this book:

>"Man is conceived in sin and born in corruption and he passeth from the stink of the didie to the stench of the shroud. There is always something."

No wonder he imagined he could do a verse play with his idea – he had the gift for it had he tried to do.

Whe wrote Plays in verse

I did not know that. Can you tell me more? Titles?

This is me
and Brother to Dragons is a Play in Verse
it is not accessible, but Imma power through it. I'd put it around the accessible of some of the harder modernists. I just can't keep up with Thomas Jefferson

I recall it being a cheap smear of Huey Long from an FDR bootlicker. Did I miss something?

One of my favorite high school tier books, but is there a more beta character than Jack Burden in all of literature:
>mom is a slut
>raised by a literal cuck
>falls in love with his best friends little sister
>gets cucked by some yankees
>drops out of doctoral program right before he's done
>his great-grandfather who is randomly inserted into the plot for like 100 pages halfway through the book gets cucked 100 years ago
>does the dirty work for a Chad
>Chad sleeps with the girl he was in love with for like 20 years
>his response is to go drive all the way to California and cry
>develops some meme-worthy nihilist worldview
>rejects all of that and goes back to work for Chad
>gets his real dad to kill himself
>has his best-friend get killed while killing Chad
>has the chance to get revenge on the guy who made his friend kills chad but does nothing
>eventually shacks up with his oneitis after she has been banged by like every character in the story and his cuck fake dad
>the end

the point

Am I the only one that got incesty vibes in the chapter with his mom?

Kek

I loved the movie, but always assumed that the book was pulpy pop-lit

I hope you're not talking about the Sean Penn shit movie

Haven't read that, but his monograph The Legacy of the Civil War was pretty good.

There's an excellent, chapter-long biographical sketch of Warren in David Blight's American Oracle (the title alludes to a line from Legacy: "And so the Civil War draws us an an oracle, darkly unriddled and portentous, or personal, as well as national, fate").

Brother to Dragons is really good. It's essentially what Saunders' 'Lincoln in the Bardo' could have been if it had been good.