Put up posters all over campus for a Literature Club I want to start with the date of an open-house meeting for those...

>Put up posters all over campus for a Literature Club I want to start with the date of an open-house meeting for those who want to help me found the club
>Put the time of the meeting three weeks ahead of when I started putting up posters, giving people enough time to plan ahead
>Day the meeting arrives
>No one shows up

Is Literature a dying hobby?

no, you're just a fucking nerd lmao

What would you have done differently then, cool guy?

damn feels.

Literature definitely is a dying hobby. And people who still enjoy it probably aren't willing to make a social thing out of it. Reading is a very isolating hobby, like you shut yourself off from people when you're reading. I dunno. Maybe 'book club' would have gained more interest.

>Reading is a very isolating hobby, like you shut yourself off from people when you're reading

Certaintly the act of reading is something one does on their own, but doesn't everyone, once they finish reading feel the urge to discuss what they've read with someone else?

I was actually just shitposting, but, on an actually serious note, you should've narrowed down what type of literature the club would read. "Literature Club" really doesn't say that much.

I actually started a French and Latinamerican literature club in highschool that turned out to be pretty decent, and I was not by any means popular. All I did was make an elegant-looking, informative poster.

Since you're in uni, so the narrowing down part becomes even more important in your case.

Offer free food. The school will pay for it if you do the proper paperwork. Hell they'll even pay for books if you wanna do a giveaway

My plan was to narrow the club's focus once it had members and we could all discuss what we wanted to read, but I guess I could start off with a focus beyond general literature if that's what it takes.

That's a good idea.

Probably doesn't make you feel better but if I saw that I wouldn't go :/
I should though

You just suck at marketing.

You should have already had a few people in mind when you started the club. No one wants to join a club that doesn't already have people in it. I'm guessing you broadcast this because you advertised for people to help you start the club.

You also need to be more specific. For all they know, you're planning on reading Twilight and Left Behind.

What you should have done was befriended a qtpi girl you met at the library and recruited her as your first member and set up a booth in a populated area where people will see her and want to join. You'll get cucked when Chad decides to join just to fuck her, and she goes partying with him instead of attending club activities, but your club will probably have enough momentum to stay active. You might even meet other gay nerds who like to read books and one of them can dress up like her and you can 69 each other (FAGGOT).

>qt abandoned the club she helped found

Why would she help found it in the first place?

Ask anybody your age randomly what the last book they read was and the vast majority will ask "does this non-book count?", whereas the rest will throw out the title of their obscure Young Adult series they occasionally open to see if the barbecue sauce stain on page 64 got onto page 65 yet.

Yes, it is dying. I cannot find people in their 30s to discuss philosophy or literature with unless it is their often overbearing political philosophies, and the issue only worsens as the years under one's belt decreases.
People still read, but so few and far between

yeah too bad that golden age oh wait you have a nostalgia for something that never existed

Try 19th c Russian lit. It's pretty popular. Tolstoy, Chekhov, Dostoyevsky.

Chad's dick does wonders. Women ruined their marriages and famillies for it, let alone a book club

In an effort not to be so much of a shut-in cunt, I found a classic literature book club in my local area using meetup.com. There's some interesting folks there, about 8 total, but in a city of 2M it's not exactly a great sign. As someone studying English at a big university, I'm not surprised at your lack of success on campus. Most people in my classes don't give a fuck about literature. They want to read shallow, politically-charged rubbish written by coloured women.

Why would you want to set up a book club? To see your hopes of intelligent discussion and communion of like-minded souls further dashed on the cold crags of misanthropy? Be grateful nobody showed up and smothered your dreams before they grew wings.
Besides, is Veeky Forums not good enough for you, fellow user?

social literature clubs are arranged by women and only interest women
if you're male you can talk about literature with your male friends.if you don't have any male friends that read i'm sorry.

no

lol my roomie freshman year did this but for a movie club. i thought basically what fpbp thought. but my roomie was actually relatively successful thanks to the facebook page he made
>flyers
>in 2017
>lol

You do realize that by posting on Veeky Forums you're partaking in a social literature club arranged by a man?

Yes.

I think reading, as a leisure activity, is predicated upon two conditions: One, accessibility; two, a social / cultural discourse. Reading was accessible as a leisure activity through the 20th century because it required little light, it required little money, and it killed time - and because alternatives like radio, television, film, and social media hadn't completely obliterated reading yet. (Smartphones are probably the worst fucking offender.)
Now, with less people reading, there's less of a social or cultural discourse surrounding reading. The remaining discourse deals with popular literature because it's the thing that's most accessible and most popular, so there's the highest potential to talk about it. See people discussing Harry Potter and Game of Thrones.

Ask yourself: you're a normie. Your friends don't read except for the occasional YA novel, classics for college courses, or NYT best-seller. The chance of you being able to have a discussion about Homer, or Dostoevsky, or Camus, or whoever is basically you going to be name-dropping them like so, and then promptly running out of things to talk about as you discover that the other party has no interest whatsoever in discussing the themes, implications, or characters contained within these works. Are you going to read? You'll just be cultivating a lonely garden.

>reading
>2017

but book sales are higher than ever...

The people who spend their lives on instagram were never the sorts of people who would read literature anyway.

>book sales are higher than ever
what types of books, though