I cant understand half of the ideas evola brings to the table in his analysis in ride the tiger (the fact that english...

I cant understand half of the ideas evola brings to the table in his analysis in ride the tiger (the fact that english is not my first language doesnt help). How can I get some basic knowledge of the ideas he talks about? Should i read it a few times or to get it or what?

Also, whats your opinion on this book?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/stream/reneguenon/1921 - Introduction to the Study of the Hindu Doctrines #page/n3/mode/2up
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/153075237X/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1510722585&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=thomas taylor plato&dpPl=1&dpID=51dn6-cS1zL&ref=plSrch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Evola says almost nothing in this book

Yeah, ive read one half of the book and im getting the same feeling. Did i fall for meme?

Yep

Moar opinions on this book?

Everything he writes has a university professor reading level, so good luck.

Studying Plato would be a good start. I have no idea how Ride the Tiger has become popular on the internet when people have no idea how Platonic philosophy work.

Oh, by studying I mean actually studying the guy. Not just the dialogue, but the overall meaning and relevance of his philosophy, the philosophical problems, etc. Reading through a couple of dialogues will not do the job, in my opinion.

How do i get to that level then? Read a lot?

Starting with ride the tiger is like watching the last 20 minutes of a movie and demanding to understand it.

I will try that, thanks friend.

With what should i start then?
Inb4 the greeks

Metaphysics of war and heathen imperialism at least.
Then start the trilogy, from the beginning. Revolt, men, ride the tiger.

Yeah.

>I have no idea how Ride the Tiger has become popular on the internet when people have no idea how Platonic philosophy work.

Like Eliade, Evola thought Plato was articulating a way of looking at the world which all of the ancients shared.

An understanding of Platonic Idealism is a must.

Start with this, trust me.

Much of Evola's work was just a repackaging of Guenon's ideas or an applying of Guenon's ideas to other spheres. Guenon isn't infallible and Evola had some valuable insights and works himself but if you start off by reading this you will be better situated to understand Evola.

You can find it for free online.

archive.org/stream/reneguenon/1921 - Introduction to the Study of the Hindu Doctrines #page/n3/mode/2up

I've never read ride the Tiger. But I've read several of his essays and I can say that reading Nietzsche and having some understanding of Esoteric Ideas helps greatly.

Thanks a lot. I tried reading guenon and enjoyed crisis of the modern world but reign of quantity and signes of the times was just too much for me. Maybe because of the translation combined with complexity of ideas so i couldnt finish it.

This.

You need Plato, Plotinus, The Bible, Hindu doctrines, Spinoza, and Nietzsche to start off. That you give you a good base, even though you'll need more to fully understand everything he says ofc.

In "Intro to Hindu Doctrines" he systematically lays out, defines and contrasts all the terminology that permeate his later books. Evola uses much of these same terms as well.

Also, in case you haven't read it yet it's also worth it to read some actual eastern texts and not just western perennialist/traditionalist commentaries on them; good ones include the Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita, Tao Te Ching, Dhammapada, Heart and Diamond Sutras etc.

Welcome to philosophy!

Don't waste this much time on a meme

No

What other Plato should be studied, other than the Republic?

If you're not educated enough to read Evola, skip it and read Savitri Devi's Defiance. Same essential message, easy to understand.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/153075237X/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1510722585&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=thomas taylor plato&dpPl=1&dpID=51dn6-cS1zL&ref=plSrch

Definitely the 5 Trial dialogues, those are arguably more important. Symposium is different but good, Parmenides and Timaeus are big

>tfw read Ride the Tiger and understood everything due to vicariously absorbing knowledge on the subjects he discusses throughout my life

t. Big brained