Can we have a thread of propaganda, manipulation and deception?

literature that specifically focuses on such techniques.

*Can we have a thread about propaganda, manipulation and deception?

I would but these techniques should not end up in the hands of your ... kind
And just read psychology

Oh and appearently our 'friends' over at /pol/ got government documents - released for public - describing how to

"Propaganda" by Bernays and then watch the "Century of the Self" by Adam Curtis. Then read Doob's "Goebbels' Principles of Propaganda".

thanks m8

Just go to /pol/ and watch russians propogandize teenagers into loving frogs in real time

Related: The Battle of Algiers is a fascinating movie about how the political process really works. It was made by a marxist sympathetic to the algerians, but it was made in a neorealist style, so it doesn't shy away from the ugliness of the Algerians or overly demonize the french colonials.

Propaganda is basically just rhetoric on steroids, right? It seems to me that it all just boils down to logos, ethos, and pathos with all the power of the State behind them.

>The Art of War by Niccolò Machiavelli
>Persuasion and Rhetoric
>World Order by Henry Kissinger
>The Myth of Sisyphus
>Goebbels on the Power of Propaganda
>The Handmaid's Tale
Obviously George Orwell.
>Is There Anything Good about Men?

Art of war is by Sun Tzu

Actually I just looked it up. Machiavelli wrote an Art of War, too. Neat.

My bad I guess

What would you like to "know"?

*May I please receive your "opinions" and recommendations on the topics of propaganda, manipulation, and deception?

You don't ask to have a thread, you make threads and ask to have people discuss.

Please never help anyone ever again.

Thank you.

That's memetics, which is a branch of propaganda.

How do you guys define propaganda? I was talking about this on another board and everyone was claiming that To Kill A Mockingbird was propaganda. Do you guys feel similarly?

All information obtained second-hand is propaganda. The only thing that isn't propaganda is our own direct experience. The Soviets' predilection for manipulating and distorting the truth acclimated the Russian people to this worldview of facts as tools, both empowering their political propaganda (as compared to the laughably incompetent propaganda of the West) and, interestingly, making the average Russian lay-person more computer-savvy than his Western counterpart. Russian hackers are so dominant because they have a cultural understanding of truth as information, and information as manipulable.
This very post is propaganda.
>so how is it useful to me?
Propaganda is not necessarily untrue. It just supports a foreign worldview. You can still extract useful knowledge from propaganda of all types, and most effective propaganda is based firmly in reality.

Not a book but this is a great documentary on Soviet and Eastern Bloc propaganda. Definitely worth a watch.

thank you very much

Yea but it is very specifically about medieval armies

>All information obtained second-hand is propaganda.
This OP
State propaganda is obviously the first thing people are going to think of but there's a lot of propaganda that is essentially emergent from existing structures, which is an interesting topic on its own.
Check out Manufacturing Consent

thanks m8. i will

oooooooooops

Brandwashing is a pretty good book. Reading through it now.

All "marketing" is propaganda, really.

Propaganda: The Formation of Men's Attitudes by Jacques Ellul

thank you