>translating l'etranger to the stranger
>not the foreigner
>mfw

>Mother died today

That’s not what it fucking says REEEEEEEE

>translating l'étranger to "the stranger"
>not "strange it!"

My copy is called The Outsider

I'm thinking about making the worst possible translation of The Stranger, called "Spread It"

>English translations

It should be left untranslated

>translating l'etranger into the stranger
>not "Stranger Things"

This. French should me mandatory for all Anglos.

“Mom” was tormented today. Maybe recently, I don’t know. From my job at the asylum, I only got paid with a telegram: “Dead Hostess. Burial tomorrow. Feminine Feelings.” The telegram doesn’t want to say anything. Maybe it wants to say yesterday.

The “old man” asylum is in Marengo, about 20 kilometers from perfection. I took the bus to “Two Hours” and I got there in the afternoon. Now I’m that I will be home tomorrow night. I asked my boss for two acres of leaves and he couldn’t refuse. But he wasn’t happy. I told him it wasn’t my fault, but he didn’t respond. Then I thought that I shouldn’t have told him. I wasn’t able to forgive myself. I’d rather he introduce me to his grievances. He’ll probably do it the day after tomorrow, when he sees me in the morning. For a moment, it was almost like “mom” (I call my older, female boss “mom”) wasn’t all fed up with me. Otherwise, when the promise ends, it will become a distributing company and we will need to hire a more official PR staff.

Today Big Momma was mortified.

Explain

mommy brapped today

Aujourd'hui, maman est morte.
Today, mother is dead.

Just gives a different feel saying it like that.

Maman has connotations that mother fails to convey. It is a little childish, not as much as mommy, but it is somewhat unusual for a man of Meursault’s age to refer to his mother as Maman.

"Today, mother is dead" sounds kind of childish and regressive as well, at least to 56%ers

Est morte is passé composé, it's like saying Mum has died.

>when someone translates Übermensch into Superman instead of Overman

so why not use "mom"?

>not Onman

I don't think that would mean much in this day and age.

Yeah I'm bilingual French and English and was reading the English translation of Rilke's novel "The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge" and it translated the German is for mother into maman.
I knew what it meant, but even if I didn't I think you'd pick up that it's a word for mother and that it's a bit childish. Interesting that they just didn't leave it like that and make the reader figure it out.
Interesting coincidence.

You're wrong, senpai. That's just French passé composé. She died = Elle est morte. Most verbs are conjugated by putting the verb 'avoir' (For instance, Ils ont choisi la mort (They chose death), where 'ont' is an instance of the verb 'avoir'.

Why would you translate it instead of just reading it in English?

>somewhat unusual for a man of Meursault’s age to refer to his mother as Maman.
unless he's talking to her. then it would be perfectly usual, and I think inner monologuing could fall under the same exception

all 10 of them

It's étranger, though, with an é.

that how you learned it in your french class? nerd

>not reading the German, English and Russian translations to work out what the author probably meant like GPS sattelites

>pretending you can speak french

good question

My portuguese edition is 'O Estrangeiro'.

Stranger is the best synonym desu.
Est-ce que to parles le français, negro?
Si non, pourquoi plaindre?

>not just reading the manga version

>wrong statement followed by further proof that one doesn't know french
at least you're consistent

It's "Est-ce que tu parles du français" you fucking dolt

Barely closer you pseud

Est-ce que tu parles français ?

this

A while back, I read that Camus was asked for his views on possible translations of the title by his publisher and replied: "Mais, putain! Fais gaffe à la route, bordel!"

>when all you do is jerk off and put tripe on paper about how cool you are all the while being such a twink that they don't even make sabres small enough for you

kek

>Being this insecure

>not translating it as "The Estranged"

Fucking translations robbing me of feels

>fernando pessoa
>not fernando person

which gives both connotations and therefore is faithful to the original

in my language word for stranger and foreigner is the same

Same. Also means alien.

Funny thing is, it's translated as "The indifference" in most editions.

This isn't actually a bad idea when the author helps with the translation. I remember reading about Nabokov telling the French translator of one of his books what exactly he meant, forgot what book though.

Parlez vous francais? Voulez vous chercher mon chapeau?

je vais caca dans la bouche de couchon