What's that red hot stuff they put in ramen called and where can i buy it Veeky Forums?

what's that red hot stuff they put in ramen called and where can i buy it Veeky Forums?

Attached: ichiran-ramen-12.jpg (620x563, 401K)

Other urls found in this thread:

livejapan.com/en/article-a0000744/
ichiran.com/en/goods/goods.html?i=
youtube.com/watch?v=jrMsWztL1n8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Togarashi. Asian market or Amazon has it cheap. Call me a fucking weeb again. I dare you.

Attached: life-940427_1280.jpg (989x1280, 508K)

Gochujang/red chili paste maybe
it's more korean though.

Thanks for the help you connoisseur of a very specific culture that isn't weird to be overly interested in at all especially given your background and where you grew up.

togarashi is more of a spice mixture, that looks like sauce, i would doubt its gochujang. I've never had a japanese ramen with that red stuff in there. But i would definitely try togarashi in your ramen, it would be good

googled it, i think op looks more like a paste though so are you sure?

this website (scroll down to the picture of ramen you're talking about) says it's some secret recipe livejapan.com/en/article-a0000744/

>livejapan.com/en/article-a0000744/

damn good find user
that sucks, i wish i could make my ramen more spicy with a paste like that, i tried it with sriacha and i was pretty shit

It isn't mixed in yet so the spices are likely absorbing and bonding. That ramen in particular looks like it's from a really overrated ramen spot called Ichiran I believe. I could be wrong. Togarashi is a blend of 7 spices and isn't so powdery to instantly disintegrate into the broth.

I was right and found it. You can buy it here: ichiran.com/en/goods/goods.html?i=

It is from a specific restaurant, and not a standard thing at all.

It is from Ichiran (says it in the filename, even) . I used to go there all the time, before I had to cut back on carbs. It isn't super common to throw spice on, especially right in the center like that.

Isn't togarashi a powdered spice mix? Is just not dehydrated as a paste

you are right it's from ichiran
have you been there (the one in tokyo or in ny)? why is it overrated? judging by all the video i've seen in looks great

I've seen the exact same thing at a local ramen joint in Houston though so it isn't just one restaurant thing, it could be gojugang with togarashi or chili pasta mixed to thin it out but I forgot to ask what exactly it was addition was only 50ยข though so it wasn't anything hard to get or expensive. You got maybe an ounce or so of it in your ramen bowl.

On the site I linked it is called a dry sauce so it is likely their own togarashi blend.

>ichiran.com/en/goods/goods.html?i=

i don't see an option to buy that shit, do you have to go to their place to get it? i'm not flying to tokyo for some chili paste

I'm , I wouldn't call it overrated. Maybe it's because it's a fairly popular chain, though.

The ramen is good. Being able to customize it is probably one of the reasons people would rate it highly.

But Kikanbou is infinitely better if you like spicy ramen.

That's true. I was just showing the details for it being a spice blend so perhaps op could test out a few togarashi and find the one he likes. They're sold on ebay in 5 packs with powder for 40-50 dollars.

oh man i'll definitely get some togarashi next time i'm in a asian market and some kimchi too

youtube.com/watch?v=jrMsWztL1n8

that place really looks fantastic, fuck i want to go to japan just for that but i'm too beta and i can't speak japanese so i guess only ichiran for me

Attached: 1520540036498.jpg (983x752, 98K)

Look up how to make kimchi, I've done it in a restaurant but it can be made at home in a sealed jar like a mason jar or bowl that has a lid. It's super easy I can dig up my Chef's old recipe if there is interest

that would be cool but i'm not sure if it's worth it for me personally because i'm just trying to upgrade my basic shin ramyun

Jesus Christ why are Asian food so shitty?

The only kimchi I've tried was awful and made me nauseous like rank coleslaw but that's a cute pic.

Ramen is better than anything thats come out of your shithole country

If you stick to big cities you don't really need to know any Japanese. For better or worse everyone will assume you don't know it and bend over backwards trying to help you.

Definitely interested in that recipe.

Do you already have a hole to fill?

Putting an egg in a soup seems like such a modern meme thing, so weird that old school Asians actually did that

I'm English mate try again.

Attached: 73e.jpg (600x943, 68K)

What's your image about?

Takes about 1 month to ferment and this recipe was for 3 gallons (we made it in the big ass lexans so we had it for awhile but I'm going to scale it down to 1/3 the quantity)
3 heads of Naps Cabbage
1/3 box of kosher salt (1#)
1/3 box table salt (my notes say a tub but I can't remember what exactly that means)

2 cups Korean chili powder
2/3 bottles garlic chili powder (siracha brand)
2 1/2 tablespoons shrimp paste (technically 8 teaspoons is more accurate but I doubt 0.2 tablespoons is going to ruin anything)
1/2 cup fresh ginger (peeled and pureed in food processor)
1/3 gallon salt water (liquid from the coll brine in the first step)
2 tablespoons fish sauce (squid brand)

Make a hot brine with salts and water (Korean term is coll water) and cool it down. Quarter and clean cabbage (remove the stems and hearts essentially) pour coll water over cabbage in a deep container until cabbage is fully submerged. Weight down for a minimum of 4 hours. (Pretty much submerged in a brine for 4 hours you can use steriled stones or just completely fill a container up but the cabbage needs to be under the liquid and it floats so plastic wrap on the water surface or a slotted container that fits in the first.

Combine remaining ingredients and mix well to make marinade. Drain off cabbage saving liquid (at least 1 gallon). Rub marinade on ever layer of cabbage (between every leaf, if the marinade isn't between the leaves/layers they risk growing mold), place cabbage back in the container lining the bottom in rows pouring marinade between each row. Add coll water until cabbage is submerged again. Allow to cure while weighted for minimum of 4 days. After 4 days separate into smaller containers (qt. them out and refrigerate at this step is usually how I do it) always keep cabbage submerged in liquid. Will keep 4+ months but will be ready and peak flavor is 1 month.
May do a cook along tomorrow as it's been too long since this board had one or a fermentation station thread if I do I'll make some kimchi.

That was a spicy straight cabbage kimchi but honestly it works for whatever cucumbers, carrots think sliced whatever you can make kimchi out of alot of different veggies and if you don't want it to be spicy just leave out the Korean chili powder, it was never five alarm for me but I eat jalapenos raw so I might be the best judge it definitely has a little heat though.
If it comes out properly your cabbage will be softened this one doesn't keep a crunch to it like some kimchi recipes. Goes bomb as fuck on roast beef sandwiches though.

bitch ass weeb