I'm thinking about getting a microwave. I don't own one because I hate shitty food...

I'm thinking about getting a microwave. I don't own one because I hate shitty food. But I love my slow cooker and heating up food can be tedious.

What should I look for in one of these radiation machines? Is there any cooking benefit aside from heating up my chili? Or maybe I should just shut the fuck up and keep using my stove.

You tell me Veeky Forums I'm seriously on the fence right now.

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1920x1080, 417K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-microwave/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Microwaves are great for reheating things, boiling water, baking potatoes, steaming veggies, tempering chocolate, etc.

Read this OP: thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-microwave/

You can put plenty of things in a microwave besides "shitty food". My usual food prep item is tons of burritos which I then freeze and they can either spend 2 minutes in the microwave or 30 minutes in the oven.

I thought about trying to make my own microwave style foods so I don't fall into buying that processed garbage. I like the taste of shitty foods but they are still shitty.

Microwaves just boil water...

I don't know why people think it's anything more then that.

Microwaves heat food like the sun heats your face by radiation.

The sun heats your face by vibrating molecules with microwaves?

well, technically yes, just that the sun does this to the surface molecules, instead of attacking the water in your flesh directly.

yes. it's called radiation.

>when you try to make someone else look dumb but make yourself look dumb in the process

They work really well if you're trying to quickly heat up some water.

How do you not have a microwave? Do you make a single meal every day?
Whenever I cook I make shit for half a week. I don't want to put shit in a pan/oven to warm it up.
2 min in the microwave does it for me.

I briefly lived with my aunt/uncle's house while they were elsewhere. They didn't have a microwave. I told them the first day that I'd get one. Came back 10 minutes later after finding 10 microwaves stacked on the street corner. Business was clearing out and dumping their shit.
God provides

Buy a fucking Panasonic "Genius" and never look back. Don't waste your time with anything else. They're like a tank that can survive an IED.

1.6cuft preferred.

I don't find its worth the cabinet space.
For leftovers I put them in glass/metal bowls and reheat them as bain maries on a single saucepan.

Attached: bain_marie_l.jpg (250x205, 9K)

>Panasonic "Genius"
Holy fuck. That was the microwave I grew up with 20 years ago. It had fake ass wood panelling on it.

It's great grand children live on. It's the savant microwave. They just keep going and going..

>late 1990's
>wood grain
The fuck? i would have believed you if you had said "clear plastic"

Attached: index.jpg (260x194, 5K)

Literally yes.

I've literally brought 2 back from the dead with 2 burnt out lights and and a thermostat replacement all for 25 bucks.

I have one. It's got so many features I never use.

I never said late 90s. I said 20 yea... Oh fuck.
Jesus Christ I'm getting old.

Anyways, yeah, early 90s, parents microwave, must have been 10 years old at that point.
So mid to early 80s machine?

He grew up with it 20 years ago, it was probably bought in 1926.

That's real mahogany, save that shit.

Just use the 'cram it in your mouth hot' setting. mines all worn out and bubbled on the button.

the only button I use is "quick min"
I don't touch the knobs, I've never used sensor cook, popcorn none of that fancy shit

Buy one that isn't in the lowest 30% of the price range when you are looking at models. Get a nice one at the higher watts like 1200 watts, and turntable. Think $350ish.

A microwave of quality will thaw frozen meat nicely on defrost setting with no cooked spots, no cold spots, just magical. It will have sensors to cook things like beverages, popcorn, baked potatoes and such nearly unattended. I think it's detecting steam or sound, who knows?

I use my microwave to reheat leftovers most of all, nuking some frozen lasagna or tamales I packed away, steaming veggies, heating water or milk for beverages, packets of grits or oatmeal, warming up food for the dog.

I found it
This was the ye olde Panasonic Genius that I grew up with

Attached: file.png (1024x768, 1.49M)

eh forgive me.
I get a bit autistic about industrial design.

You're a fucking Genius.

so that 10 1 10 1 layout...tell me about it.

They switched from quick min to quick 30 on the new version. I was torn asunder. I had to go to my magnatron priest.

how do you boil water in a microwave? never works for me, always destroys things when i do it or burns

I tried a bunch of various things with the goal of having a bunch of food that I could easily freeze and microwave for lunch at work and that sort of thing and the only ones I had much success with were curries and burritos. Rice and curry handle being frozen and reheated pretty well and burritos can either be made with a variety of fillings or just eaten with a variety of hot sauces so you don't get sick of eating the same thing every day. Both are good for making in large batches.

???
Put cup in with water
Nuke for a minute
It's boiling

superheated you mean

>are actually dumb

a cavity magnatron produces focused radio waves, nothing more.

I don't own a microwave either, OP. I had one at one time, but got rid of it (turned it into a spot welder). I reheat everything in a steamer. I started out with a cheap ass $16 bamboo steamer and it worked well for over a year then started falling apart. I bought a second one and it started to fall apart sooner. I even drilled holes all over it, and epoxied some bamboo skewers into it to hold it together. That worked well.

In the end, I bought one of these bad boys. All stainless steel. I even got a bunch of low profile dishes to use in it, but my domed wok lid fits on top perfect if I ever need to steam something really big. I use this like 8-10 times a week or more for cooking and reheating. It was expensive ($180), but well worth it since it won't be falling apart in my life time.

Attached: Steamer - Stainless Steel.jpg (1038x804, 315K)

Radio waves are a form of electromagnetic radiation.

same premise as but with less weeb.

No doubt, but most people see 'radiation' and think ionizing radiation.

you got it pal

if he was adolescent in the late '90's his parents probably bought their damn panasonic microwave in the early '80's...

i was born in '90 and grew up calling my friends' houses from a fucking rotary phone. shit that worked didn't used to be so disposable.

also boiling? what's ur problem? microwave ovens heat water very quickly. make sure you're using a microwave-save dish.

why the fuck would you ever put epoxy any near a surface you're cooking on?!?

superheated would preclude boiling.

not in my understanding...

Once it is cured there's no problem. Just use Max CLR.

You sound like a dickhead. Fuck you for thinking you're better than the rest of us.

I lived without a microwave for a few years, what a mistake. nothing beats a microwave for reheating leftovers like rice or beans. anything with moisture in it heats up within minutes like fucking magic. you're retarded to go without one.

I'm not better than "the rest of us". That's why I came here asking for help. You know, to literally get advice from my "better"s.

I do think I'm better than you though.

Attached: article-2517333-19CD298000000578-772_634x671.jpg (634x671, 129K)

For water, superheated means that it's at or beyond boiling point without proceeding to the thermodynamic state of boiling.

1 second, 10 seconds, 1 minute, 10 minutes. If it's like mine, that's from right to left.

the worst part of a microwave is the potential to overheat and thus dry something out. it's not cancer.

I cook food? I reheat on the stove. I tire of this labor. I have a lot of appliances already on a small counterspace. So I was thinking about getting a small .7 cubic 700w. I read a lot about 1000w being where it's at but I don't want that big of a device...

Attached: 848ecf63259380f124d3e3ae11b04a43.jpg (550x550, 13K)

So you think you're better than me?!

Microwave is a sign of shitty and weak chef. I use it as a guide when I'm choosing places to eat

we're talking about home cooking. no one is looking for a michelin star while making maccaroni.

You'll want an interface that lets you control the power output. That way, you don't go to reheat something and nuke it into oblivion. There's good microwaves out now that have pre-programmed options as well that will weigh what you put into it and adjust time and power appropriately.

Mine has an option to soften butter if I get the urge to bake, as well. Works well. Don't get a cheap microwave. They don't work well at all.

i want a microwave that outputs ~1200+W of ionizing radiation

EUV for crispy exterior
keV/meV xrays for interior

Attached: Ioncannon.jpg (185x139, 9K)

Not really. I just want a microwave.

Or maybe I can heat a bowl up in 2 minutes instead of a slow cook at 5 minutes plus creating an extra dish.