Does anyone else rationalize their vices through literature?

Does anyone else rationalize their vices through literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24457405
academic.oup.com/humrep/article/17/12/3275/569627#ref-9
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

literature is my vice

Meursault makes me smoke too.

sounds like something you maybe shouldn't do, but yes of course

reading really is the last medium which enables vices the most, vidya for example is much much worse.

all in moderation, nothing in perversion

i started smoking because i read that cigarettes were good for you online. also a lot of characters in books smoke.

People should be more honest.
If you have a "vice", and you continue it, then you don't actually consider it a vice. You've weighed what you think your life would be without it against what you think life would be with it, and have decided that having it is the better side of things. Therefore to you it is not a vice, it is only called that by others.

If you call it a vice and adhere to it, then you are being dishonest with yourself - likely because you think it is better to call it a vice, even though you don't believe it is. One voice will say "this is a vice" in your head and another will whisper "but it really isn't, I need this to live well"

Unless you're addicted...?

That is the same thing. You've decided it is better to feed your addiction than to stop.
There is no difference.
This idea that anyone is split in their heart about what they are doing is a delusion. We only ever do exactly what we want. If in retrospect we say "I did not want to do that", that is because we have more information about how the world or our own bodies would react to that situation.

That is the basis of regret, which constitutes not knowing these unintended consequences, if in fact they were unintended. Then we call it a vice. But only if it is seen as such and no further desire to keep at it occurs. Then we can say of the past that we had a vice.

Except if you have a physiological addiction..?

most, maybe all, substance abusers rationalize their vices through art until the detriments of the abuse get so bad that they rationalize them through some romanticized alternate version of their "short end of the stick" or "uniquely individual" life they conjure up, possibly creating new art during this time.

As in that saying my crippling bulimia is somehow an excursion into an artistic mode of living? Ok sure

That is still the same. Rather would you descend into death than face the pain of abstaining from an addiction. Certainly we can get into nightmare situations such as this, but that doesn't change the fact of willingness.

I suppose stupidity is where people get into trouble. As soon as they can recognize past behavior as stupid then they are liberated.

You're assuming that people have an infinite amount of willpower or something.

Willpower is just where ever you direct your attention

It is possible to direct your attention in such a way as to seem to use more energy, of a more benevolent kind and such

To know where to direct your attention is something learned, and before that kind of knowing is acquired, much attention is directed in "wrong" directions, that is to say directions that must eventually turn around and not continue forward lest the host organism dies

>being male
>having bulimia
lol fag

if not, post qt bulimic feet

is this some sort of spiritual thing? you don't seem to know much about how the brain works

to say something like what you seem to want to say, that "people who did not have knowledge of neurochemistry did not know about human life or how to live well" seems to me to be lacking in awareness of the subtlety of thought achieved by persons of merit in the past, as they have been recorded

life is not just brain chemistry, though our scientific materialistic wasteland would like us to believe it to be so

Well I can't control my eating so the only thing that's stopping me from being 300kg is forcing myself to vomit

life is only brain chemistry, the world is a mass biological machine comprised of automatons

These kinds of metaphysical assumptions are meant to boost your ego as a "hard headed realist who faces the cold facts of reality without wishful thinking unlike all those other wishy washy new agey types who believe in magic and fancy things"

If that's your kick then have at it, but life is magical, an ongoing miracle.

life is a curse that you were enslaved to because your parents wanted to have an orgasm for 5 seconds and humans are extinct

It certainly feels like a trap most of the time doesn't it
I would not want to deny your subjective suffering or its intensities
But to simply know the basics: Yin and Yang
To suffer implies the reality of beauty and bliss
To think that life is only terrible and can only be a trap is to misunderstand, to have a cloud of metaphysical assumptions surrounding your mind which keep you in darkness
Which is a state that deserves immense sympathy

The Hebrew dust-devil YHWH is not the Creator but the Demiurge, eternal patron of the serpent seed (Jewry), warden of prison Earth, spawner of the primitive hominid stocks, and author of all obscenity and base materiality. God, who once was awake, slumbers now or is disabled -- and until his awakening all souls are condemned to reincarnation in this realm of torment.

yes

The vast majority of people alive today were banana slugs or weaver ants or mound-building termites, if not lichen or blue-green algae, as recently as a few hundred years ago. Not everything with a human face is human – so what of those bipeds that grimace with the muzzles of chimps and orangs?

I don't know how the gods function, but that still implies that the point of awakening by God (capitol G) will be all the more amazing thereby, will be felt immediately as "worth it".

Nothing is without its corollary.

There's a strong positive correlation between smoking and higher testosterone levels. Keep it up.

"a bucolic paradise where people eat sumptuous meals, dogs sun themselves on porches and people laugh with their loved ones."

"a physical place filled with achingly beautiful music, waterfalls, lush fields, laughing children and running dogs."

This is a dog's heaven, a nigger's heaven, a maggot's heaven – I do not doubt that these are accurate accounts of the waiting room where they will for a while be held, until without warning the greasy food and IMAX effects cut out and their souls of lard and liquid clay are churned up with all the rest, dispensed once again into soft or chitinous vessels of two or four or no or many legs, shucked from the great gill net, and cast back down to Earth. But it is not mine.

Do you think he's angry that the creators of Persona 5 found him out and made him the Big Bad?

You quote those things as if anything I wrote implied them

My idea of paradise is simply a garden which spans the globe

thank you. I survive because of people like you.

lmao

lol no there isn't homo

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24457405

I said there's a positive correlation, not that smoking will raise testosterone levels. What's more likely is that men with higher T are more apt to engage in risky behaviors such as smoking.

academic.oup.com/humrep/article/17/12/3275/569627#ref-9

Smoking is good for you because it increases your testosterone, increases your iq, decreases your life expectancy so you have a faster life history, and the handicap principle