Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg
SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries (incomplete, mostly pre-Millenium):
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

what's out?

Why do you not like the Dune series?
God Emperor is the best science fiction.

Best Star Wars books like Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi and The lost tribe of the sith? I'm looking for stuff not based on movies or video games. I polluted this board with a thread just for this question then got called a retard.

What's this image supposed to convey?

Brandon Sanderson is a great author.

two questions /sffg/:

>is asking/paying my younger cousins to read my YA novel a good idea or a bad one
>how much time and money does it cost to go to a print shop and print out 150 pages of text?

Why is wheel of time so hated?
It's an amazing series.

Fuck all of you the ending to Oathbreaker was hype.

There is any other desktop reader as good as the firefox one?
I mean i read it directly in the firefox, because it isnt too zoomed and neither too small.

>buy a fantasy book that has a fantasy creature on the cover
>friend looks at it with dissapointment
>informs me he’d rather read “more productive” books like investing, business, etc.

what do you think? is he right?

He's a pompous ass. Let him get lost in the rat race.

I hate this feminist nonsense where women can fight men because they are powered by magic or w/e

That's better than women fighting men double their size with no help from magic or technology at all.

What would you guys say are the most overused tropes in sci-fi books? I'm thinking of writing a sci-fi book but I would like to know what to avoid while writing.

what's this shit about having to read edgedancer before oathbringer?

THE END OF
Book Three of
THE STORMLIGHT ARCHIVE

what a silly autistic book

Pretentiousness and self-seriousness.

What's the consensus on the Halo books then?

How is writing pretentious?

The fuck are you talking about? He asked what are overused tropes in sci-fi to avoid and I said pretentiousness and self-seriousness. You need to work on that reading comprehension.

Calm down sperg. I am just asking what makes writing come off as pretentious. No need to fly off the handle.

>what makes writing come off as pretentious
Do you not know what 'pretentious' means?

>attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

If you need an example in the form of a novel I suggest you read The Prince of Nothing series.

I know what pretentious means I just always thought saying something was pretentious just stemmed from the reader disliking the higher thought of a book or series. Almost as if it wasn't a valid criticism

>I'm thinking of writing a sci-fi book but I would like to know what to avoid while writing.
if you're new to writing, then it literally doesn't matter because whatever you write will likely be terrible regardless. stop worrying about being a special snowflake and just write. you need to focus on volume and getting used to the writing process.

Ehhhh as long as you like the games, then the extra lore is enjoyable. I suppose not playing the games, the books are still really good for a casual read

You know I hated the love triangle subplot in Oathbringer, but if Sanderson was going to resolve it the way he did, why the fuck did it exist in the first place? They didn't get any narrative out of it in the end, and I don't imagine it being revisited with how they closed up all the ends so tightly.

I know you are joking, but there are people that unironically think this. I actually know one of them in real life.

>navani follows up an arched eyebrown with a roll of the eyes

how will dalinar ever recover?

Is Dresden Files the Big Bang Theory of fantasy schlock?

Dear God no. It isn't THAT bad.

>wheel of time
>hated
The series has its fair share of detractors for sure. Even the fans will agree that parts of the series are an absolute slog to get through (Crossroads of Twilight for example) and some anons on /sffg/ really don't like the Sanderson books but I wouldn't say they are hated here.

Oathbringer was great, but Words of Radiance was better. Need to reread part 5, my hype was too high.

Have to agree. Basically the entire book I forgot it existed except when it was specifically brought up.

Parts 2 through 4 were kind of a slog for me. Shallan and Kaladin retread a lot of ground on their character development, and the traveling group through Kholinar and Shadesmar just went so fucking slowly. I did enjoy the opening and the closing of Oathbringer, but it's probably my least favourite of the three Stormlight books so far.

Dalinar and the Bridge Four chapters were great though.

You picked us clean last thread.

I still prefer it to Way of Kings, but agree with most else of what you said.

Flipping to random parts of a book, come across Wit being aghast at the possibility of skipping boring parts of a story, sorry bro that's what I'm going to be doing

FUCK OFF WITH SANDERSON KEK SUCKERS

*unbuttons safehand*

would this be the equivalent of a Vorin gimpsuit?

How dark is this series?

*raises eyebrow*
*crosses hands beneath breasts*
Blood and ashes!

Give me a rundown of The Wheel of Time

NTR in every book

All modern fantasy will have normalized faggotry huh

>normalised
>when there is another culture (Azir) that outright has forcing gays to wear female clothes and take a subservient female role as a social policy

the slippery slope aint real goy.

Sounds awful

yeah, only dusty old bargain bin sci-fi allowed!!!

After finishing the golden compass, should I read Earthsea, Garden's of the Moon, or Mort first?

Are you talking about Northern Lights? If so you should read The Subtle Knife next.

Or are you talking about His Dark Materials series as a whole?

Malazan is autistic and Earthsea isn't

What the fuck was Mawhrin-Skel's problem

UNITE THEM

SC are shady fucks, basically.

>part two
>Oathbringer epigraphs were a waste of fucking time
>this epigraph starting off needlessly slow
>Shallan chapters make me want to stick my dick in a blender

The Book of Dust is out but obviously read the next two books in the series, faggot.

>Shallan chapters make me want to stick my dick in a blender
Retard-kun, her chapters are much more interesting. Dalinar's chapters made me want to stick my dick in two blenders simultaneously

I skipped all the "20 years ago" segments
Also all the interludes

I skipped the entire book desu

Sorry bro I couldn't read your post behind all that blushing.

Yeah I'm not enjoying the Dalinar flashbacks either. I don't like young Dalinar. I'm only interested for whenever he visits the Nightwatcher.

>skipping the Interludes

shallan is black?

shalash is the Herald shallan was named after, most of them are kangz

When will Dalinar SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Are any of Yahtzee Croshaw's books a good read?

His short story in Machine of Death was good, but I'd be surprised if his style translated well to a full novel.

lewd

>there are people itt right now who already finished Sanderson's 60hr tome

truly a special kind of autism

Who is ishi? Is he floating or using some form of lashing?

>Sabrina Salem fag is back
Man I remember when I wanted to fuck Sabrina's THICC aunt as a kid.

It's to be expected when they skip chapters, skim, speed read. When you discuss something, they ask what you talking about.

Ishar.

> last

The Lies of Locke Lamora
Scott Lynch

> current

Red Seas under Red Skies
Scott Lynch

> next

Oathbringer
Brandon Sanderson

To the sanderson fags. Does Dalinar's memory about his dead parents wife return in this novel? Or do I have to wait for the end of his ten book series? (will an hero long before then)

What specifically? it's a huge series.

Whi is ishar? The crazy king?

I would have but I'm waiting for it to come out in trade paperback.

Recommend me some good "Gothic" fantasy; something that gets philosophical at times, preferably something with good prose.

>google gothic fiction vooks2
>can't read it all

I'm a virgin to genre fiction. I'm free from "cliches"; I can't care about something copying Tolkien with elves dwarfs orcs and shit, cause Tolkien is pretty much my only experience with that stuff. Same with whichever other cliches exist.

Show me the way.

So what, you want fantasy? High fantasy? Would you prefer something short or something really, really long? Complete story or in progress? Dark and gritty, maybe with some GRI, or lighter fare?

Begin at the beginning.

What the fuck was the point of killing off kaladin like that? He's the only reason people even read the stormlight books.
What the fuck.

I want something particularly "Gothic". Novel-length is preferable, but anything goes. I'm not really looking for grimdark (something edgy for the sake of being edgy). Maybe something that appears light and fun on the surface, but is just a mask to a darker world. To elaborate, when i say Gothic, I mean something that explores the horror of the Unknown and the brevity of human life.

I thought you were replying to my post. Sorry, I guess I really can't read.

Hey, you're not me; but I agree.

My point here, was that I want whatever is very well written, but "derated" cause it's full of cliches. Like if other books didn't exist it would be a revolutionary new work. Instead it's discarded for not being original, like at all.

There's links in the OP to charts, start there and pick one you're most interested in. This one is even a flow chart so just follow this one and then see if its what you like, if not try something else.

Is the sequel to Forever War any good?

But that chart is shit.

then pick one of the others, point is there are 7 dedicated lists to Fantasy and Sci Fi right there in the OP if you want to find something, esspecially if you don't provide any specifics about what you want to read.

Could someone on Roshar theoretically form a bond with Adonalsium were it unshattered and start pulling off insane levels of bullshit?

Dalinar's memory completely returns.

Fuck Moash.

I don't know.

Shards are near-omnipotent in their solar systems. Adonalsium's domain is the entire universe, so yeah, absorbing Adonalsium would turn you into God (with the capital G).

Though keep in mind that you don't "bond" with it. Adonalsium is not a spren, nor are its splinters. They are more like mindless forces of nature driven to a certain purpose, that people fuse with. Adonalsium is the fusion of all of them.

Ruin's purpose is to decay things, Cultivation's is to grow things, Odium to discard and Honor to uphold, Autonomy to separate and Dominion to unite, Preservation to keep and Endowment to give, etc.

>no swearing or graphic sex
>characters are annoying boring peasants and dont get better (despite being born with great magical ability bla bla bla)
> author has obvious creepy spanking fetish that i would be into if this was some sort of erotica but it just comes across as cringy
>shit takes insanely long to happen because the characters are fucking retards with shitty personalities and they barely grow as characters (at least they didnt in the 3 books i read)

its shit but if you can stomach it at least it will entertain you for a while.

Tbat spanking sounds hot af.

>A spren is Investiture that is alive. So they would call Nightblood a spren. That’s the word for what all of these things are. They would probably call Adonalsium a spren.
t. Brandon

once again, jordan writes like too much of a pussy to make it worth the slog. afaik theres only one semi graphic spanking scene in the 10 volume series(although spanking is alluded to pretty much every fucking chapter). Just read some erotica family.

It's still a different thing. Splinters and Adonalsium are THE investiture that is being given.

hnnngg any recs?

i assume youre into women, in which case guy spencer or flogmaster are pretty good.