Anyone here have any experience with monkfish...

Anyone here have any experience with monkfish? I got some on a whim at an international market since it was just $2 a lb. It's apparently been described as the poor man's lobster, and is popular in France. Plus I remembered it from the Malcolm in the Middle episode where Reese cooks it for Thanksgiving. I'm looking up recipes but they're all fancy/trendy jerkoff recipes and I'm tempted just be simple and pan fry it with ghee and garlic or poach it.

What would you do with it? It looks kinda like pic related, but not as neat of a cut.

Attached: Monkfish-11261057288.jpg (710x600, 77K)

I ate monkfish once at a Chinese restaurant and it's so far the only fish I didn't enjoy eating, and I've eaten a variety of fish.

You mean these aren't a made up Runescape thing?

Cut into cubes and put on a skewer with peppers/onions. Brush with lemon/oregano or whatever and grill.

2$ is cheap as hell though, check it hasnt got worms first.

My grandmother used to make this for us with lemon, buttee, and dill. You can use make a roux as a pan sauce when you're done. Just make sure not to cook it too hard because, if i remember right, it's a delicate fish.

its a really meaty fish, doesnt fall or flake to pieces. works great in as chunks in fish stews or curries

however it is a bitch to prepare, getting the skin off is like skinning a deer. worth it tho

I live in Florida and just realized these ugly fish I've been catching are monkfish. I've been throwing them back because everyone told me they were a garbage fish.

Monkfish is awesome. I mainly use it for 4 dishes: Ciopinno, Paella, Boullaibaise, and pan fried Monkfish with an anchovy-clam sauce.

Monkfish was very popular in the 80's. I suppose it will be again.

>Chinese restaurant

There's your problem. Monkfish is delicious when properly prepared.

Lionfish is where it's at

Lookup butter braised monkfish. Better than lobster, I swear.

I.. think I could put my penis in that.

i like it a lot. although i did find a worm in it once and it kinda turned me off from monkfish for a while

This. Butter braise and it's bretty gud. I'd take the skin off

Haven't been fortunate enough to catch one.

Don't ever but swordfish then, usually you just pluck them out when you filet the fish

All hail Satan quads. checked

get out dolphin poster

It's very robust and meaty so works best roasted or in a stew. Wrapping it in bacon or prosciutto is popular.

Even top quality monkfish has worms, it just happens because it's a bottom dwelling fish

>It's apparently been described as the poor man's lobster
>poor man's poor man's food

>What would you do with it?
it kinda looks like a fleshlight so... hmm. fuck it?

Im suprised how many replies it took.

its fucking bliss.

just cut it into pieces and pan fry or bake with fresh sage, lemon juice, pepper, salt. white wine and saffron if you are fancy.

Monkfish liver is also delicious, by the way.

You have to spearfish them because they're wily fuckers that dwell in crevices, apparently.

This.
Next time you eat halibut think of that.
Think hard.

Monkfish risotto (have to cube it) with coriander.

I usually cook it, then dip it in butter like lobster. Has the right texture for that.

I got a little turned off to it after hearing that they have worms (saw a video of a woman pulling one out of a monkfish tail). Then again probably all fish do ... how are we not riddled with em? Are worms killed in the flash freezing process I guess?

No
Remember OP, you need a high cooking level in order to not burn these in a regular basis!

I live in Indiana. Can we trade places?

Yeah, fish are riddled with parasites. However, properly flash freezing fish immediately upon harvesting, and properly cooking the fish to a high enough, uniform temperature should be enough to kill almost all parasites that humans would need to worry about.

I cooked one tonight with my girlfriend. Came out really well broiling with butter, lemon, and white wine. But it wasn't as good as monkfish I had in a restaurant so I'm still looking for the perfect recipe.

If you guys really feel like grossing out, look up the Cod Worm and its life cycle, and how it feeds on the host