How much accompanying personal attacks should you tolerate in criticism before calling it a day?

How much accompanying personal attacks should you tolerate in criticism before calling it a day?

To clarify, what I mean is someone actually is criticising you, but a large part of their criticism also includes insults on your person that just make writing feel less fun.

There's no gain without pain, but when is there too much pain?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/INa-oOAexno
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You never call it a day, faggot.
Grow a thicker skin and either ignore it and keep going, or I guess go to your room and cry under the covers.
If you ever end up being published and people see your work, the insults you'll be getting will be like violent gangrape.

I'm asking for the sake of my mental health.

turn comments off, then. share your stories only with your mom and dad, and friends, people you know will be nicer (though often times they won't tell you if something is wrong). once you feel like you've improved some and you KNOW your writing is decent, then start showing it to more and more people you don't know. you'll be able to laugh them off a lot more easily when you know you're not completely retarded.
and don't take what they say personally. remember, they don't fucking know you dude. it doesn't matter.

op, Derrida was right in the sense that personal attacks at their base are completely meaningless.
there’s a book, semi-famous, can’t find atm (had 4 in title?), that persuasively argued personal attacks are always about the other person, not you.
stay strong
youtu.be/INa-oOAexno

Abraham Lincoln had a list, he failed at business, fucked this up, blew that the fuck up, etc.
The last item on the list was “Elected President of the United States.”

Also, op, if you believe in God, everything changes.
Best wishes for you

Things only change if you believe in God..?

For me, yes.
I’m under a great deal of make or break stress.
I didn’t find God in a book, although I believe in a Book.
Also, what the ancient Greeks taught in a word is self-restraint. The assholes attacking you sorely lack it and are complete idiots. Fight them, but maybe also pity them.

whoops, meant that in response to

Also, op, Nietzsche and his “whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”...
Nietzsche was right.
Whom would you rather fight: two comparable men, one who has fought in a 1,000 fights and lost them all, or the other man who is what we used to call “pitching a perfect game,” meaning he hasn’t had a single fight.
I’d fight the second guy.

Ignore thick skin manny-pardo posters; they're just trying to pat themselves on the back for ignoring how they feel about things. That's a form of ignorance, not tolerance. Suppose we've got two men who walk into a bar, where one tries to start a bar brawl and hurt several people, while the other successfully stops him with force. How does your opinion of the second man change upon learning that he was completely drunk and didn't feel a single one of the blows he took to stop the deranged man? You immediately think less of him; you originally thought he made the decision to play the hero in spite of pain, but upon realizing that he didn't feel a thing, he suddenly seems less commendable. Be more commendable; feel your pain in full, so long as doing so doesn't end you life prematurely and thus prevent you from experiencing an even greater number of things, including but not limited to more pain. I assure you that people who just block pain out are always exceptionally terrible writers; you shouldn't take advice from them under any circumstances.

Now to be critical, if your writing is good, it should actually be difficult to attack you, the author, through it directly. Now obviously someone can always make a hot take and say "well I think that's gay" or "I didn't like the genre," but those people are very obviously being useless and aren't actually managing to attack you personally. However, I'll see lots of people who wear their protagonists as a mask and their supporting cast as sock puppets, treating their entire plotline as a costume to fantasize in. No one wants to see you jerk under the covers; if people are able to actually insult you directly, then it means that they can tell what you're doing, and while their insults might not be of a constructive form, the fact that they can be articulated can indicate certain issues with your script which even they themselves may not be fully aware of. Sometimes there's more you can learn from what people say than what they're saying, or even implicating for that matter.

>Being weak makes things more impressive than being strong
This has to be a pasta right?

remember all the people who love you... and remember this happens to everyone.

I remember I posted a story on Veeky Forums once that was so bad that the guy literally immediately wrote a counter parody story that just directly r@ped my life.

It kicked my ass and lay me flat / I took a nap for a long time, after that. A fucking effortful parody of pure spite and hatred. Unbelievable. And it was way better than my story, too.

Part of it is you don't know your own worth (like never knowing if you're actually ugly or attractive, but worse, somehow, because it's not merely superficial). Another part of it is that you probably are kind of crappy, at the moment. You may still be hacking away from the block of marble that will someday be the statuesque (hehe) figure of your personal genius. It may take a long time for things to click, but the statue IS there. You just have to keep trying.

if you feel like it hurts stop looking at it lol. If you actually care about getting better, then just ignore the personal attacks and focus on the real criticism. If you can't ignore it than don't cite "mental health" as an issue, either get better at ignoring it, or give up

If you don't mind me asking, what was the story about? It sounds very funny.

what do you mean by "calling it a day"? Stopping reading their criticism? Quitting writing? Killing yourself?

hopefully the last thing
also is the pic related you OP?

>feeling less is the same as being stronger
haha yeah man just tear out your nervous system, you'll like totally become a superhero

retard

Or perhaps some people have such an over abundance of vitality that most things don't bother them. Who is the superior person, the underground man who bumps into a police officer and them fumes about it for weeks plotting his revenge or the guy who is so happy that he forgets he bumped into the police officer five seconds after it happened?
You assumption is everyone experiences everything the same but strong people have damaged themselves in a negative way to feel it less and that feeling shitty is actually superior to feeling good because it's, I don't know, honest.

He failed at avoiding the civil war too.

I wonder why... (insert old joke about Lincoln being a Jew here [Lincoln wasn't a Jew {Sure he was - he was shot in the temple}...]...)

>You assumption is everyone experiences everything the same but strong people have damaged themselves in a negative way
re read the original post mouthbreather

We have two ways the man could be; drunk or sober. Which is more impressive; him doing something while sensing less of the pain, or sensing more of the pain? More of the pain. QED. Trying to bend the word sensitive into the word weak is solipsism.

>abundance of SUPER MALE vitality
literally kill yourself, shitposter

What is it you're writing over there that generates so much personal insults?

Can you give a hint on what the insults are about? I think that gives an indication between the motivation of your haters.