/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Sanderson's 2nd Feature Fantasy General!
>new releases you are reading
>upcoming expected releases
>tell something of the last book you read

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg
SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries (incomplete, mostly pre-Millenium):
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScifiGhetto
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i just want to thank all you stunted development plebs for keeping your genreshit in one megathread and away from the real literature

you guys should be commended for self quarantining so the adults don't have to bother

Oathbringer was great, although I felt that the shadesmar stuff dragged a bit

Sanderson is a great author.

>tfw you can't focus enough to write

Any aspiring authors tried Adderall?

It's good because it keeps you fags out, too. If we spread out across Veeky Forums every other thread would be dominated by "nut real lit" replies.

We are tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScifiGhetto personified.

Does anyone havev any experience with the mission earth series? How did you find it to be?

Also any good satire scifi books you would personally recommend the charts werent specific about it.

Reminder that Syl is best girl.

Hey, asking again here, but have any of you read pic related? It seems good.

It's less satire and more pastiche, but you might try Venus on the Half Shell by "Kilgore Trout" - can't guarantee you'll enjoy it though.

A pastiche or pulp fiction or something specifically? Was the book enjoyable?

Thanks for the recommendation.

It is a pastiche of the kind of pulp science fantasy that Kilgore Trout would write. But it also emulates Vonnegut himself, not in his cynicism, but definitely in his absurdity and humor. In a way it's a pastiche of both Vonnegut's and his character's works. It's a weird combo that ends up a bit like a proto Hitchhiker's Guide. It isn't always well received and KV himself didn't really like it, so you may or may not enjoy it. I thought it was perfectly fine and an apt recommendation because it isn't well known.

That's just cause it was supposed to be an initial exposure in order to set up further arcs set there.

Any good Sci-Fi about VR?

A lot of Cyberpunk books deal with the subject in one way or the other, see that section in the Sci Fi charts in the OP if you want some starting points, I would recommend seeking out William Gibson's Neuromancer or Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash if you're just starting out and then expanding from there.

Cry more.

Night Angel Trilogy.
I read that first then moved onto first law.

This was made before that one fagget. Look at the time. This was made 3 hours before that one.

Anyone have the excerpt of kaladin btfo of the light eyes in the arena? When no one wanted to second Dalinar's son?

so why was Oathbringer so bad?

What you're looking for is "Words of Radiance Reread: Chapter 56". Download the book and read it again if you want.

Holy.... more

>Honor is dead.
>But I'll see what I can do.

How do you think Sanderson feels when he comes up with this stuff?

Like this.

the enters the mormon ecstasy

Yeah, he's probably smug for the whole day afterwards.

(You)

Doin' our best, senpai.

>new releases you are reading
Nothing really, the two newest books I've read this year is All The Birds in The Sky, which was shit, and Norse Mythology by Gaiman, which was good enough for what it is.
>upcoming expected releases
Same, nothing really. I'm going to read Too Like the Lightning sometime soon, if I like it I guess I'll be looking forward to the rest of the series.
>tell something of the last book you read
Lies of Locke Lamora. It started out horribly, but got better and I ended up liking it. Good characters and a fun plot. Will most likely not read the rest of the series however.

He loves that shit more than anyone else, probably. It's too bad good fantasy action can barely be found outside of anime.

>>new releases you are reading
I have Seven Surrenders and Death's End in my to-read pile, will probably get to them before the end of the year.

>>upcoming expected releases
The Will to Battle and Count to Infinity.

>>tell something of the last book you read
The last book I read was Learning to Eat Soup With a Knife. I thought it was disappointing and the author relied too heavily on institutional British sources for information on the Malayan Emergency. There was also surprisingly little original content/synthesis given the amount of information the author collected.

The last SFF book I read was A Night in the Lonesome October. It was rather lightweight but quite comfy; I liked it.

Man this was the best in the seris then kaladin cucked it up by wanting to duel

Nah, Sadeas was probably going to weasel out of it one way or another.

He did owe Adolin a duel tho, so I'm not sure why Adolin is so bummed about what happened later. Guess he's got his own stuff to work through.

brapap

Are there any good SFF out there with bisexual characters?

So is everyone ready to praise the greatest piece of fiction ever created? You guys know what I mean.

At least the rat is dead
>putting the killer in charge of investigating his own crime
Dalinar a cuck

no

B5

Oathbringer. The stormfather is bisexual.

I don't know what that means.

I specifically said good to avoid Sanderson and his likes.

Babylon 5, a sci-fi TV show.

This was a fun time travel novel from L Sprague De Camp (1939.) A 20thC American archeologist is in Rome when he is struck by lightning and transported to AD 536, and Ostrogothic Italy. He uses his wits and knowledge of 20thC invention and science to make a living - beginning with brandy and book-keeping. This in the face of local Gothic ignorance, Roman venality, and Church superstition, from which many of the novel's humorous moments arise. The protag eventually becomes embroiled in local and international politics, where he undertakes grander schemes to strengthen the Ostrogothic Kingdom in the face of Belisarius' Byzantine invasion; in come the printing press, catapults, and army modernisation, and a good deal of clever scheming. A good mix of historical detail, light hearted comedy, romance, action and intrigue, 5 dinos out of 5.

can someone PLEASE post the David Foster Wallace bear?

>the Dragon Reborn to confront the Shadow at the Last Battle, and his blood shall give us the Light.
Does this mean rand will die at the end?
if not dont tell what will happen

Fantasy prophecies always have not-what-you-expected-but-technically-true results.

Guess I should have specified that I'm looking for books.

how is the pic related

He basically steal Mordins body while his own dies, thus technically dying.

Why? He's isn't exactly relevant here.

It does. His blood on the rocks of Shayol ghul. Rand knowingly marches towards insanity and death.

Readable.
You should read it.

will it be a too big spoiler?
wew
i expected a good ending sort of a series, sad.

Remind me why this thread isn't in Veeky Forums

It is a good ending to the series, just read it.

Varying quality and long as fuck.

>will it be a too big spoiler?
What do you think? It's the ending of a series spanning 14 books. The actual ending was planned and partly written by Jordan, the last chapter in particular is quite good.

sad cause i like rand as fuck
will also be sad for the woman who love him

I feel like I remember a bi character in one of Peter F Hamilton's erotica tomes

I wouldn't worry about it. 14 books is a lot of buildup, it's not a particularly sad ending.

What series would you recommend someone who just got into reading?

Doctor Seuss

ABC

Sticky is no help? What do you want to read?

books

Is Dalinar really a cuck? Let's look at the evidence:
>Fell in love with and lusted over his brother's wife for years and married her after his death. This is pretty close to textbook cuckoldry.
>Got married for political reasons. To bow to the whims of the State is cuckoldry, especially when the State was his brother Gavilar. Later murders this wife on a mission for Gavilar.
>Wasn't even present for the birth of one of his sons, while his wife was back in Kholinar. Who knows if Renarin is even his?
>Gave up a shardblade to a man who tried to kill him in exchange for some bridgemen, though he did get a shardbearer out of the bargain, but the shardbearer almost let an assassination attempt through. Even, I guess.
>Ineffectually shouts at the Stormfather, who is a pathetic old man aping the actions of an even more pathetic man who is now dead. Plugs the Stormfather into his own mind, and then can't even summon a Shardblade. What a cuck.
>A kindly trustworthy elderly man with absolutely no ulterior motives, who sends Dalinar nice dreams of peace rather than the Stormfather's dreams of war, asks Dalinar to give up the burden of his pain, which has been haunting him for years even though it wasn't his fault. Dalinar dwells on his pain hard enough to warp reality, when entrusting it to the nice and friendly man who genuinely cares about him would have been a much better way to go. He turned down limitless power and passion and a position as Champion. This is the ultimate cuckold.

Try the Kharkanas trilogy for some light entry-level reading.

Warbreaker -> The Way of Kings

Threads are mostly about this currently.

I mostly read thrillers and know shit about fantasy so that

On Hoid:
he said he knew where to go when his help is needed, but not the details on how he can help. He only knew he wasn't there to help Shallan. Was it made clear what his purpose was?

Presumably he was there for Elhokar's poor spren.

Tell me about our lord and saviour jordan peterson

broken empire

Peterson likes this stuff btw. He's a big fan of Harry Potter.

so how does Adolin feel about being actively cucked by two thirds of his wife? because that ending clearly shows that Shallan as a whole and "Shallan" as the persona assumed by her are two distinct things

is it some sort of mormon fetish?

There's really no point in going through Stormlight. Warbreaker is Sandersons best book, once you've read it there's no point wasting time on a somewhat worse epic series that's not yet finished when you could go experience other authors.

Shallan is completely fucking bonkers. Honestly at this point Kaladin and Adolin are genuinely better off going gay for each other.

There are any other book like wheel of time(good romance good plot good characters)?

NO MATING

True, their interactions were certainly healthier and less cringy than either's with Shallan (although I think Kaladin only spoke about personal matters with her once in the whole book).

brapap

Ruin>odium

There, I said it.

Yeah for now. Hoid has been really playing up Odium, and while he off screened three shards , his intent isn't really clear.

They should just move to shadesmar and marry their spren

The ANIME moments tho.

Seriously, it scratches the same itch but since it's a book series you get a better more consistent story

Honourable ronin Szeth flies through the air and destroys a massive rock monster with a single draw of his magical shadow katana to save the loli

>reading a million words for one or two great moments (Kaladin in the arena and Dalinar vs the giant crab are the ones that come to mind)
I have no idea what you mean with a series giving a more consistent story, but I probably disagree. With one book you get a more concentrated story where the author actually have to focus on bringing the story forward instead of filler and useless worldbuilding.

>memetropes
back to /leddit/

>Adolin walks in on Shallan changing
>W-why are you in here!!! Baka!!! and then she throws something at him and he runs away blushing

user he almost saw her sweaty stinky safehand! It was only natural!

>safehand
That scene where she stripped in feont of the entire gang was maximum lewd.

>Kyaa!! Now I can't get married anymore!

>only Kaladin picks up why she did it

why is he such an autismo?

The others are royalty, women probably flash their safehand at them all the time. Fucking whores.

>h-hentai! baka!!

Sanderson has said that he specifically makes it a point to have every book in the series stand well on its own in terms of plotting. The end of every book so far has had several hundred pages of "pay off", and he's not been afraid to progress his story and give answers.

>A kindly trustworthy elderly man with absolutely no ulterior motives
kek

>tfw you’ll never be able to lick Shallan’s safehand after a long, hard day of sword practice.

Why even live at this point

>the
DESTROY
EVIL
>moment
My fucking dick.
I swear I heard the sword's voice and scream in my head.