Is it really worth it to even try to become a writer these days? The days of becoming a figure like Joyce are over...

Is it really worth it to even try to become a writer these days? The days of becoming a figure like Joyce are over. No one gives a shit about literature anymore. Sure, ideally all writers shouldn't be driven by a need for recognition, but it seems to me like it would be a very shitty life to spend your life writing books that no one gives a shit about. It seems like the attempt to become a great artist is an old-fashioned dream at this point, and a delusional pining for a past that doesn't exist any longer. Writers are not taken setiously anymore, and it is easy to tell that because of this, even writers don't take themselves that seriously anymore. Just watch any interview with a modern writer: they all act like the most normie fucks, self-conscious of coming across as pretentious, trying incredibly hard to not seem like they think that they take their art too seriously. Is it really worth it to spend one's life alone, reading and writing at a desk? Is it truly a better life to explore your emotions as deeply as does a writer, or would it not be better to simply remain undamaged, and to pursue things like money and women?

Is it worth being anything anymore? Humanity seems to be trying really hard to kill itself

Write because you want to write you shit-eater.

You have to make them take you seriously.

Dude just pursue happiness, like nigga shut your ears to the precedents set by others

dumb faggot. if you think great writers became great writers just by "writing for fun," you're retarded. You need to commit yourself to writing, consciously, and this is a choice worth pondering over, seeing as it's one that will help determine the rest of your life.

If you like to write you will commit yourself to it. There is no other option really, you fuck-up.

An interesting question to ask in this regard is what is the point of writing. It's very hard to find a satisfactory answer to this.

If you don't enjoy it over most other things, you won't do it. Problem is, the quality of available distractions increases.

At it's core, it's about honoring the present moment. All projects are a series of small steps. Can you take the next step?

All we are guaranteed is the present moment, not some idealistic future that will manifest in some other way, if and when, it comes.

This

Friend of mine said to me:

user im going to kill myself

Why

I want to be a famous painter so im going to make my lifes painting, find some cheap desperate broad, call her mine, file for life insurance and leave cryptic messages then off myself and make it look like the broad did it.
All the famous artists killed themselves, dont you know? She’ll be rich ill be famous we all got what we wanted

—-

Plenty of artists die without much recognition, did they do it so they could be rich or famous?

OP is stupid as fuck, you create art for you first

If you cant find value in what you create, why would anyone else?

>writing for fun
That's not what he said you bitter fucking imbecile, he said writing because you want to write.

Laboring over your creation because that is what gives you purpose, not "fun." You need to re-examine the way you see things because it's pretty apparent that you are wearing shit-colored lenses and seeing everything through a lens of shit. Most writers in the old times were not taken seriously, Melville died without success. We can't look back on modern literature like we do on older literature.

Do you know what the modern, popular books were around the time Ulysses was published?
>"The Young Visitors" - a "high art" novella literally written by a nine-year-old girl
>"The Private Life of Helen of Troy"
>"Tarzan" fanfiction
>Tom Clancy-tier books about World War I spies
>"The Sheik" - a pulpy romance book about a white woman getting kidnapped by a rich arab, and getting stockhold syndrome
>"50 shades of gray"-tier books breaking rules by being popular with women but also portraying pre-marital sex
I'll bet as well that if you could go back and sit down with the ancient, medieval, or renaissance writers you would find them "normies" as well.

You can't seem to realize that all of this trendy stuff will pass away. If you think Literature is dead because anyone can get published no matter how bad, you might as well take away the printing press while you're at it. only things worth the effort to transcribe should be allowed to be literature. Just write you mongoloid, nobody is stopping you from creating art by being bad at art

so you're essentially saying that the writing bug is a sort of curse upon the person struck with it, and that therefore it's not a life worth living, other than the apparently romantic aesthetic that you seem to be projecting onto it? I knew you pretentious fucks would be so touchy about this topic, asserting some notion of "artistic purity" as being the only goal for writing, and that's all that matters. Try to examine whether this notion of art as a supreme value really leads to a good life.

sheik sounds good I could probably jerk off to it

Don't put words in my mouth.

Laboring over the creation and production of art and objects of value is an inherently human trait, and whether or not it brings happiness, humanity is drawn to that behavior, and not because it is "fun."
I never once breached the topic of whether that makes a "life worth living" because its clear to me that you already have a very subjective view of what that is, and its a waste of time to even bring it up.

What I said is that you are judging today's shit against yesterday's gold, something you have avoided commenting on entirely.

This was so refreshing to read after all the other bullshit on this board.

I write because I want to. You should too.

They were still compelled to write in general. These great writers you talk about didn't start writing because they wanted to be compared to other authors. That's not sincere at all.

You don't have what it takes to be a serious artist and it is as simple as that. Watch Gaddis talk about being a writer versus wanting to be one. Doing art is literally insane for any time period.

Thankyou for writing this post user, you have restored my faith in this board.

I still write (altho I never even attempted to be published). I just have these ideas and 'inspirations' floating around my head and want to try to actualize them

>Is it really worth it to even try to become a writer these days? The days of becoming a figure like
stopped reading here