What rules do I need to know before I can start writing poems and where can I learn them?

What rules do I need to know before I can start writing poems and where can I learn them?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/1HeKrNAYzxRVt9bwxjyzW3C4amCciClJ8/view?usp=sharing
examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-rhetorical-devices.html
literarydevices.net/meter/
rhymezone.com/
thesaurus.com/
examples.yourdictionary.com/types-of-poetry-examples.html
familyfriendpoems.com/poem/article-poetic-forms
books.google.com/books?id=tPDAZIihym4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=practice of poetry robin behn pdf&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwixvN-OpMbXAhVi_4MKHflgBV4Q6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
reddit.com/r/ocPoetry/wiki/poetryprimer
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

don't write vaguely
vague writing is beyond fucking gay

I meant technical rules not stylistic choices.

oh just familiarize yourself with meter, types of poem structures, language connotation, and all that gay literary shit like metaphors and alliteration, and read an absolute metric fuckload of poetry from everywhere.

was referring to this with my previous post too which is pretty useful
drive.google.com/file/d/1HeKrNAYzxRVt9bwxjyzW3C4amCciClJ8/view?usp=sharing

If someone
tries to tell
you that poetry is
better when it has structure
and
poetic devices
remind them
they're just shitlord
and freebleed on them

-rupi

>oh just familiarize yourself with meter, types of poem structures, language connotation, and all that gay literary shit like metaphors and alliteration

are there any good books about this that contain most of it? i know most of the stuff is online for free, but having it all in one place would be cool

list of rhetorical devices
examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-rhetorical-devices.html

meter
literarydevices.net/meter/

rhyme dictionary
rhymezone.com/

thesaurus
thesaurus.com/

structures
examples.yourdictionary.com/types-of-poetry-examples.html
familyfriendpoems.com/poem/article-poetic-forms

poetry book I had to use for a gen ed. writing course but it is kind of fun, can't find a free version of it but you might be able to with some searching
books.google.com/books?id=tPDAZIihym4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=practice of poetry robin behn pdf&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwixvN-OpMbXAhVi_4MKHflgBV4Q6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

thanks bud

this shit isn't a stylistic choice, this is bad writing

>technical rules
there are so many and so many exceptions that a single book couldn't do it. Mary Oliver's Rule of Dance is a good resource though. So it this reddit source
reddit.com/r/ocPoetry/wiki/poetryprimer

are you from balkan?

thanks bud

yes, why?

Pounds ABC of Reading might help

>Art
>Rules
School bogged me down with this and only when I set it aside did I begin to be able to creatively express myself. Formal features have a place but personally I like getting the raw ideas down and adding formal structure later.

If I'm constantly thinking "ok caesura typography internal rhyme allusion metaphor etc etc" then I draw a creative blank.

t. inexperienced pleb brain

Not to be rude but this is probably because you're not artistically talented enough to create art with these rules.
It takes a lot of talent, for example a french guy managed to write a full novel without the letter E.

you have to learn the rules before you can start breaking them my friend

Well at least you understand the rules, so you know how to operate outside of them. It's worth having an idea of what ground has been broken already, so you don't retread the same path and think it's original.

rule #1, you're not reading enough. read more. read at least 10 poems for every one you start writing

>not accepting a set of rules so you can constrain your mind into these standards and be set free

It's like you've never understand how art worked for centuries and centuries

To make a Dadaist poem:

Take a newspaper.
Take a pair of scissors.
Choose an article as long as you are planning to make your poem.
Cut out the article.
Then cut out each of the words that make up this article and put them in a bag.
Shake it gently.
Then take out the scraps one after the other in the order in which they left the bag.
Copy conscientiously.
The poem will be like you.
And here are you a writer, infinitely original and endowed with a sensibility that is charming though beyond the understanding of the vulgar.

--Tristan Tzara

that's actually kind of cute though

underrated

>begin to be able to creatively express myself
no one cares about expressions of your individuality unless they're harmoniously structured and beautiful

mfw turkish food and coffee are literally GOAT in the world. hahahaha how can latins even compete?

turkish-greek cuisine > rest of balkan stuff > lebanon > armenian-kurdish > ... > mc donalds > latin "cuisine" > ... > starvation > finnish food.

>If I'm constantly thinking "ok caesura typography internal rhyme allusion metaphor etc etc" then I draw a creative blank.

That's why every single great poet says it's a craft you have to try and master through years of practice.

If you have the time, try working with sonnet form. It gets easier and easier after a while. You develop skill and the ability to express yourself within set boundaries. You can put that skill to use when writing free-verse.

>pic
What sort of tool is that which was used to brew the coffee? Is copper a good material for coffeeing? What sort of mug is that?

It's copper. It's good.

It's called cezve or some shit btw

check the wiki nigger
4chanlit.wikia.com/poetry

So it's for Turkish coffee. Is the copper used for its insulating properties like with a copper sauce pan or is it used because it imparts a unique flavor like with a Moscow mule mug? Or is it just a serving vessel and not necessary for prep?

>form, lineation, rhyme blah blah blah

hahahaha. don't do that

It's for prep, although some plebber coffee houses just use it for serving.

Some Arabic coffees are also prepped and served in cezve. It's not a Turkish-only thing.