New C&P translation in 3 days. Did I like it?

New C&P translation in 3 days. Did I like it?

I'm not being paid or anything, but just wanted to let you guys and gals in on my purchases for the future, and once it comes out, it'll be mine once and for all, referring to the translation by a man Katz, Michael Katz, baby!

Did you like it?

Why yes goyim, yes you did, didn't you?

OP here for my third post in this very thread, I wanted to discuss this translation, and some questionz I have: is it worth getting over P&V, considering how loved P&V are and the availability, why would I want this translation, and what's the point of all these translations, I'm having second thoughts on Katz, what's the point of it all?

P&V is shit.

You want a translation because you don't know Russian

Wait a minute, how did you know, matey, what languages I don't know, OK... well... yes, indeed, I'm afraid that I'm not a Russian-speaker, but how could you have found me out, what tipped you off on my Russianless tongue, eh?

> intensity
> safe and polite

i bet you its riddled with fuck-bombs and colloquialisms

no comparison to the other translations, not a very impressive picture to paint desu imo

biased bc i just started reading the pevear translation last week

>faggy redditesque cockmuncher
Any translation will do for a pile to stand on when you neck yourself, insufferable cretin.

>bloom still manages to mention Shakespeare

Katz's Demons are excellent, so you can expect C&P to be quite good too. With Dosto you want Avsey/McDuff/Magarshak. At the very least revised Garnett. P&V and original Garnett belong in the trash and should only be read if you have no other choice.

That was a genuine question, friend, so how could you know I don't speak Russian, because Russian-speakers can read English translations, especially if they're trying to learn, they might read an English version of their favorite Russian text, and maybe that's my situation, user, did you ever think of that?

>considering how loved P&V are
Not sure if new or b8ing

>Steve Donoghue

How's Michael Katz's Notes from Underground?

Just read Garnett, the one P&V admitted was the best translation.

Face it, neo-transfags, Garnett is the only way to fly. Schoolin you nigs.
Zam.

Garnett is still the best.

>not just reading the original even if you don't understand Russian

not everyone who likes russian literature spends all their time in this shitheap
P&V are well regarded

fuck off

The copy I got from the library says it was translated by Jessie Coulson. Is this a good translation?

I liked Katz's Notes from Underground, and he's generally well regarded. That's the translation the Norton edition uses, anyway.

kek

How does Katz compared to David McDuff and Ronald Wilks? I'm keen to read Demons soon and I see Katz' translation is published by Oxford, who I love.

That's the Oxford classics edition right? I think it's on par with Garnett which is good it bad depending on who you ask.
Would also like to hear about any readers of Coulsons translation.

>i bet you its riddled with fuck-bombs and colloquialisms
You're an idiot. Seriously.
>no comparison to the other translations
Only Veeky Forums is that obsessed with translations. Don't be surprised when publishers don't automatically cater to your autistic demands.

Garnett is indeed still the best translator of Dostoevsky.

Read Avsey or revised Garnett.

I checked various scholarly sources about the issue of Dostoevsky translations and the conclusion they seemed to reach was that no one surpassed Garnett. Someone might do a better job in this or that aspect here and there, but ultimately nothing has dethroned the classic. Garnett remains the standard to which all is compared. I'm of course speaking of the original Garnett translations. Revisions can be good or bad and don't necessarily improve anything.

She really is. The words and phrases she uses have more impact than the others.

Literally all major English speaking authors read Garnett's translation and it was more than good enough for them, yet for some reason it's not good enough for some faggots on a Yugoslavian cabbage pickling enthusiast imageboard.

All these contrarian defenders of Garnett baka

It isn't contrarian. Garnett is the standard English translation.

She also makes everyone sound like an ENGLISH GENT GUV'NA and just skips sentences she doesn't understand

P&V are objectively the best translation. This is a FACT. No one on Veeky Forums really gives any reasons as to why they're bad because there aren't any reasons. Don't fall for the meme.

Only reason there are so many other translations is because publishers know there are retards like you out there.

literally all the canonical writers who praise dostoevsky read garnett

your post is sheepcordtier and it was on Veeky Forums

>She also makes everyone sound like an ENGLISH GENT GUV'NA
It's a translation into English so it should sound like English.
>and just skips sentences she doesn't understand
Slight modifications are normal in translation and aren't necessarily detriments.

wow, only one person recommending McDuff ITT. what happened to Veeky Forums's favorite boi?

avsey for TKB all the way

i read mcduff and while he's probably accurate, dostoevsky's prose is often bad, or inefficient, especially when setting up plot, but once he has everyone in a room...whew

the little of avsey i've read i think he reads the best 'in spirit'

>implying every canonical writer read Dostoevsky in english

That's a good thing. All other translations of Dostoevsky make the narrator and characters sound like they got the downs.

Garnett Translation.
>There arose men, haughty and sensual, who demanded all or nothing. In order to obtain everything they resorted to crime, and if they did not succeed — to suicide. There arose religions with a cult of non-existence and self-destruction for the sake of the everlasting peace of annihilation. At last these people grew weary of their meaningless toil, and signs of suffering came into their faces, and then they proclaimed that suffering was a beauty, for in suffering alone was there meaning. They glorified suffering in their songs.
Non Garnett Translation

proud men and sensualists appeared who
directly demanded everything or nothing. To acquire everything, they resorted to
evildoing, and if that did not succeed - to suicide. Religions appeared with a cult of
nonbeing and self-destruction for the sake of eternal peace in nothingness. Finally,
these people grew weary in meaningless toil, and suffering appeared on their faces,
and these people proclaimed that suffering is beauty, for only in suffering is there
thought. They sang suffering in their songs

i agree wholeheartedly. i think mcduff is great to see genuine criticisms of dostoyevsky's prose (which are ochen apparent if you read ruskii yazik). for some reason, i think mcduff's prose mirrors the feeling of C&P itself:
>P&V: He had safely avoided his landlady...
vs.
>McDuff: He had succeeded in avoiding...

P&V is just too far removed from the urgency and fever of the story, though you may disagree.

avsey is very forgiving towards d-stoy, but still manages to avoid total anachronism. the fact that he left "starets" untranslated sealed my deal.

>cites the worst Dosty translators

Way to make a balanced argument FAG

I am a fag bro ill come there and suck yo dick nigga. I'll hold you down real tight and shit. You're gonna be struggling at first but bitch i'll hold you tight while nibbling on your ears. I'll make you feel safe faggot bitch das right i'm gonna domesticate your ass.

Garnett is also the best translator of Gogol's stories, Anna Karenina, and various other things.

Holy hell, why the fuck can't you guys decide on who is the best translator of Dostoevsky novels?

Кoнcтaнc Гapнeтт

its pope you psued