"Every book is worth reading. If it cannot make you wiser it will make you a critic."

"Every book is worth reading. If it cannot make you wiser it will make you a critic."

What's Veeky Forums's opinion on this? Is it just trying to justify shitty books, or does it have some merit?

That quote probably predates YA fiction. It still holds true for actual literature and is essential for political philosophy as you can't properly debate someone if you don't know what they are arguing for.

That's like saying every human deserves to live.

I think it draws parallels to the idea that one should write even if terrible, as any writing done will improve one's style.
You may not be reading good books, but they are still making you more well read, just as drawing shaky messy pictures will steady your hand

>Hyung Ju, Professor of Teen Literature

Is "teen literature" a catchphrase for not uprooting the childishness from the books of the teenagers? Is it an excuse for the manchildren? Is it an excuse for not being willing to grasp actual literature and instead write more facile books to entice the young and barely cultured audience? I was reading Mein Kampf, Zarathustra and the Republic as a teen, what is the excuse of these tumblrinas?

It will make you more widely read, not necessarily more well read.

>what is the excuse of these tumblrinas?

They had sex with someone they loved and had good parents.

I've always been amazed at htis idea that anything written is intelligent because it is in written form

there are such things as useless books and insightful TV shows

>any writing done will improve one's style
The state of fanfiction begs to differ

/thread

kek

T B H if I could undo years of teenage reading of Cracked.com then I happily would.

It doesn't justify shitty books as art or having merit, but instead it's saying if you read a shitty book what makes it worth reading is gaining the understanding of what makes it a shitty book.

TBF, fanfiction by its very nature is somewhat bankrupt when it comes to literary nature.

There exists knowledge that corrupts.

The retribution will be tougher for you to bear once you have hit the wall, roastie. Take good heed.

I don't see how it is trying to justify shitty books. People write shitty books because they are shitty writers, not to teach you to differentiate good writing from bad writing. If everyone could write good books they would, but since shitty books are unavoidable you might as well try to find out what exactly makes them shitty instead of just complaining.

You should take it that even the worst experiences still have something to teach you. If you read John Green books, though they're shitty and won't teach you much about writing, it gives you more of a specific grasp of the problems of John Green. You can use this to check yourself in your own work, and more accurately explain the failures of John Green to others.

You shouldn't use this as a justification to read John Green if you haven't, but as a consolation if you've already read him.

Of course it doesn't justify shitty books if it's an affirmation about the reader user

Two flaws: time is limited, so some books should be skipped, and if you're reading a lot of similar books you'll learn less and less

You can't improve talent. Only skill. Talent always predates skill. Sure a talentless skillful person can make something fantastic, but it won't be their own.

>Professor of teen literature
This would only be true if I didn't have a limited lifespan. The fact of the matter is that I stand to learn more from some books than others, and don't have enough time to read all of them, and therefore am going to prioritize.

This. Work smarter, not harder.

That guy who's been writing that kancolle fanfic is at like 4.6 million words and it's still shit. By that point it's impressive he never improved.

What the fuck good will it do you to be a good critic if you're still going to read everything?

edgy

Not really

Is there anything more cringy than writing Cancerlit?

if i wrote a thousand pages of fart noises spelled phonetically would that be worth reading?

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP?

one day as a lion, faggot