Why read when you can just play vidya or enjoy your time in some other way that doesn't require much thinking?

Why read when you can just play vidya or enjoy your time in some other way that doesn't require much thinking?

>Why
thats where your wrong kiddo

Because video games make me feel like shit and reading makes me feel satisfied.

But I like thinking deep thoughts, user.

Why do people even read? Why not watch television? At least visual entertainment tinkles all your sense. On other hand, reading does nothing for you but strain your eyes. Reading, no, leisure reading is ANTI-SOCIAL. IMO

Why take a shower if you get dirty again after a while? What is the point of staying alive if you know that you'll die eventually? Why should I fall in love if I know in advance that I will suffer? Why read books, watch movies, play videogames if every narrative ever told is a rehash of Gilgamesh?

I'll tell you my reason. Bear in mind that I am but a red a drop in a blue Sea. So take this as you will.
For me reading has more detail than any video, anime, or movie can ever produce. It captures the feelings, the sights, the smells, and even the emotions of all of its characters. When you really start to get into it, it becomes an experience all of in itself. Each book has a varying am quality to it. Honestly the quality of a book is determined by it's ability to immerse it's reader's in fewer pages and keep them immersed for as many pages as possible.
Imagine the concept of drugs. That to me is the best way of judging good reading. Can I get higher quicker and stay high for longer. That is the quality of a book in my eyes.
The issue with videogames to me, is the lack of detail. What you see is what get. Often times the writing it's unimaginative and poorly paced. There's also a stigma to playing games that drains from the experience.
Honestly, writing is the next step after reading and once you're there you're making your own videogame. It's the best to create your own fantasy world and have others hate it/enjoy it too.

Anywho that's my nickle of advice.

This

should you read a book if you already saw a movie adaptation of it?
i’ve seen a lot of recommended lit books on TV.

Because thinking is enjoyable. Why compare hobbies when individuals have different motivations and experiences and as such making such a comparison is useless?

sauce?

Anal sensations, vol. 3

Nah, actually Mario Party 3

Eventually I’d end up hating myself for creating nothing of value in my life and nothing to be proud of.

i'm too high iq (>80) to enjoy videogames

>enjoy your time
Time isn't that scarce. I used to play ten hours a day of video games, and it just made me feel tired and shit all the time. If you don't have time for reading a few pages before bed, I don't know what the fuck you're doing. Everyone can, they're just lazy, because they don't want to train the muscles which is their brain.

>reading requires lots of thinking

When I was a kid I would read book adaptations of cartoon movies.

>vidya
>enjoyable
Maybe if you're a kid. Story-wise most have nothing to offer, and "muh gameplay" is just pushing buttons when you have to, like a trained monkey. If you enjoy coordination, sports is way more satisfying. If you care about experiences and story, any other medium is superior.

You can do both. Books offer a much wider content and due working with your mind, pretty unique experience every single time. You can read the same book (say War & Peace) as a teen and couple decades later as an adult and see it in a completely different light. To a point it does apply to movies/shows but the difference isn't as large.

Also why is an anti-social hobby that bad? It's all about balance.

>Time isn't that scarce.
Nigga, what? On average, you have just 5800 hours every year after sleep, that's without eating, grooming, socializing, working out and whatever you do to keep the bills paid.

Spending one hour a day reading is nothing. Unless you're in a country that has more than an 8-hour 5-day work week, you're just lazy.

Because I like thinking.

Because even in my tight schedule I can plow through books in small bites. With vidya fifteen minutes is not rewarding and you have to play for an hour before you get to the next save point.

To get anything out of reading it does, I've been playing vidya all my life and it's way better for turning your brain off.

Because Video games are expensive,
and books are cheaper.
A book is about $3 at the used book store,
a Video Game is like $60, not to mention
online subscriptions and the initial investment of the hardware, so from a purely practical perspective: books give you way more bang
for your buck, and moreover have a useful effect in that you are expanding your vocabulary and thus cognitive abilities.

Because I enjoy thinking much :D

source on that semen demon?

Vidya is incredibly boring. The fact that i spent so much time of my youth on that trash is something i'll never forgive myself. As for the other mediums, i don't find them to be as rewarding as literature. I feel more accomplished when reading a dull work of literature than when i finish a TV show (which is the medium that i use for escapism).

>friends enjoy fighting games
>literally play the same matchup for hours, hitting "rematch over and over
>it gets so repetetive I fall asleep
Video games are a brain-dead activity.

This reasoning only applies to fiction.

When read, play video games, or otherwise "enjoy" your time with pointless escapism when you could be experiencing true bliss through meditating?

This tbqfh