What languages are you studying?

what languages are you studying?

Other urls found in this thread:

cs.utah.edu/~gback/awfgrmlg.html
discord.gg/fa74M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why would i learn anything other than english?

Hebrew (at Uni with great teacher), German (getting to read works)
Latin and Ancient Greek in plans (thankful for sharing some good textbooks)
New perspectives of the world, more full understandings of some works

>tfw my course is forcing me to learn African languages
>tfw it's not even a liberal arts course

How come, and which ones?

Currently: french and russian, making great progress on the former and not so much at the latter.

Future: italian, latin, german

Thinking: japanese and greek. Both seem to be really hard and time consuming, so I'll think very carefully before dedicate myself to learn them.

>New perspectives of the world, more full understandings of some works

I'm pretty closed minded and lazy. thanks tho.

What is your native? Cause French is always for me a language that I know will hit sometime, but not planning.

>be medfag
>they want us to be able to talk to the local population in their own language
>isiXhosa
I wouldn't hate it if the course wasn't garbage. They don't teach us grammar or structure, or even vocabulary. They don't even make us read anything. Instead we just learn to repeat sentences like goddamn animals.

בהצלחה! כמה זמן אתה לומד

Is Rosetta Stone the best way to learn a language?

French, Latin and Irish (lol)

זה אוקטובר.נחש!

That sounds terrible, I feel sorry for you man.

fucking Veeky Forums fucked ordering, I should just have a button on my computer to switch to hebrew lel
also I meant נובמבר

Learning German right now, it is funny as hell. I have no idea what language I want to learn in the future, but I am certain it will be one. I kinda wanna learn some obscure language like Basque or Irish, but then I can't read much literature in said language.

You will be suprised.

אוטיזם?

Portuguese, in 2 months learning french I can already read children's literature and have a solid grasp on grammar. My friend got to read Proust after 3 months of learning.

The only reason I'll also learn italian is because it's also extremely easy for portuguese speakers.

Current: German (native but nowhere near as good as my English)

Near Future: Will have to become fluent in French at some point for my career in the next 5 years or so, will hopefully start learning next summer; German is my priority right now though.

Distant Future: I'd like to commit to learning Latin at some point, Ancient Greek too but I don't think I will ever get around to it in this life. Other than that I just want to learn to read Italian, maybe Spanish, and *maybe* Swedish.

כן

thinking of learning German just because of Faust

כל טוב

How the fuck do you become better at foreign language than native? I mean I am Polish and I am just sad that most of people will skip a lot of great literature.
Aber mein Deutsch ist immer noch schlecht :(, und Ich habe keine Zeit zum lernen.
תודה

My German is native in the sense that my parents spoke it to me growing up but I never had any formal learning in reading or writing so my grammar and vocabulary are poor. Nevertheless, I can still think in German and speak German without first having to think about what I'm saying in English first, it's all very instinctive like a native language.

Barely teaching myself Latin. Going to take a course on it next year.

i'm studying hebrew because i want to become a jew. /pol/ convinced me that jewishnes = power, so i have to thank them for the inspiration

sorry pal they mean ethnic jews

You are only jewish if your mother is jewish.

Right now I'm learning esperanto, just for fun and because is so easy.
>Inb4 you are learning a fake language
>Inb4 no one uses esperanto anyway

German, then I plan to learn Italian

native tongue: portuguese

studying:
>italian, close to fluency
>romanian, just started learning it, going slow though, still focusing more on italian
>latin, just started learning it too, going slow as well

it took me 5 months to get where I am now with italian (conversation and reading comprehension, writing capacity [though I'm slow writing in Italian]). I believe in 4~6 months I'll be close to fluency in Romanian and at least being able to read Latin. After that will learn French and Spanish.

it is very nice to learn Latin, knowing portuguese and italian I am able to see the nuances each romantic language kept from latin, and the differences between them.

>thankful for sharing some good textbooks
Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata for Latin, Athenaze or Hansen & Quinn if you're not a brainlet for Greek

What is your daily routine like in terms of learning?

Greek is only a little harder than Latin
How far along are you? What materials are you using?

Learn Spanish my man, it's so funny to speak it. I'm a native speaker and I can tell you it's so funny to fuck with other people but overall it's just funny for itself

Norwegian. Foreign language is mandatory at my uni, and I heard Norwegian is easy.

drop out, tell them you wanted to be a doctor not a veterinarian.

brainlet...
μπαkα

Spanish for my job.

What does μπαkα mean? And what's written on the image?

I'm actually interested in some African languages. Click consonant languages like Xhosa and Khoisan seem nifty. Yoruba, Amharic, and Swahili all seem to merit some attention. Sorry about your shite course though.

>modern Greek

I guess it's says selfie in the church and selfie in the beach, it's not that hard you know

>
Icelandic is still an ongoing process.
Chinese for about two years. Chinese is great.

Ur a real smart cookie, although you are completely incorrect and have made and ass of yourself, ur still a smart cookie tho

nice posturing my monoglot friend.

Wheelock's Latin with the 38 Stories. Only been doing this for two days. Basically haven't started the textbook, but translating Latin phrases in my own time. Might download something else.

Right now, Norwegian. Already in my arsenal -- English, Greek (both ancient and modern), Latin, French, Spanish (a few dialects), conversational Italian and imperfect Polish.

if you want some help with hebrew I will be happy to (Pronunciation etc..) native speaker
telegram: @Malap

Can anyone recommend a good book for learning italian? I would like something focused towards reading more than dialogue. I hate those books that have a chapter with one dialogue, listen to cd no.xxx now prompts and shitty illustrations.

I intend to, and shouldn't take much time since portuguese and spanish are very similar. This semester, one of our teachers had us read a book in spanish and make a presentation on it. We didn't have any background in spanish (and it isn't a graduation related to languages or whatever) and the noone in the class had problems reading and interpreting it.

I was in a internship but left, so I only have a lot of free time right now

hmm...right now what I have defined, for italian, is
>read at least 2~3 news articles in italian (they are usually a bit long, so it takes me like 10~15min to read one)
>listen to at least 20 min of podcasts/videos about whatever, sometimes an audibook
>read some verb conjugations I made to memorize some patterns in conjugations
>I have already finished all of duolingo, so I reinforce at least 2 unities a day (they all need reinforcements, I have very few golden unities, its good to keep a rich vocabulary/remember things)
>write a few lines in my italian journal every day. never had one but made sense one entirely in italian. I write mostly about books I've read and whatnot
>read italian books, I alternate with other Veeky Forums books just like any other books, so if I'm reading a book in english I won't read any in italian.

with latin and romanian I have studied the alphabets and pronunciation for now. could probably read some sentences with the right sound even not knowing the meaning.

With romanian I will keep doing duolingoa bit more before looking for any external resources, no point just yet, still need the basics.
With latin, I've watching a channel that is really good and there are like 40 videos of 10minutes, if the others videos are good I will probably watch all of them, maybe after will read wheelock's. Some point in the middle of those videos I'll try and read some texts though.

The Japanese language itself is not that difficult grammatically but it takes a huge amount of effort to actually become literate. It took me about a year of self-study to be able to comfortably read novels.

Baka. When pronunciation of the letter Beta shifted from "b" to "v", Greeks had to come up with a letter combination (μπ=mp) to approximate the sound of "b" for loanwords.

>currently learning french and german
french is a breeze so far since i already speak english & spanish on a native level
german's complicated at times but i get around
>next i want to learn russian, japanese, and latin
someone redpill me on these languages
i dont want to learn somrthing utterly useless

Latin will only be useful if you read the classics. You'd only really need to know these if you wanted to study literature or philosophy (but it's better to know ancient Greek for that)

Can speak English, German, Turkish with a little bit of French, Italian and Finnish.

Currently learning Russian but I want to learn Greek.

Learning Japanese. I'm not sure why I don't even like most weebshit and that's pretty much the only reason to learn the language unless you're insane enough to want to live in Japan.

Trying to learn Japanese. I feel uncomfortable reading novels as I have difficulty parsing grammar even after a year of study. I have to do it very slowly and it is tiring. My vocabulary and knowledge of the writing system have both increased, but in some crucial way, the language still hasn't settled in.

What was your method of becoming comfortable with Japanese grammar? I'm at the point where I feel I might sooner learn all the kanji that come up in novels than become able to understand simple sentences without rereading them several times.

American

>implying I don't know Latin and Ancient Greek
Try lingua latina per se illustrata
Meh when you consider medieval and early modern phil Latin is arguably better

Well before I start proselytizing first we should determine if our ideas of comfortable are consistent, because you might be better than me but just have higher standards for what constitutes comfort with a language than I do.

Here's just some random post I found on social media:
自分で選んだ人性なのに、何故かふと悲しくなる

and here's the opening of Miura Shion's お友だちからお願いします

「お友だちからお願いします」と、言ったことも言われたこともない。友だちってのは、気づいたらなっているものだ。

しかし、なんだかいい言葉である。「お友だちからお願いします」。そのさきへの期待と希望を感じさせるではないか。あ、「そのさき」への期待と希望を抱いたことも抱かれたこともないから、私は「お友だちからお願いします」と言ったことも言われたこともないのか。なるほど、腑に落ちた。落ちたくなかったが、落ちた。

How hard are those for you?

Irish has a very rich literary history. Trust me on this.

>自分で選んだ人性なのに、何故かふと悲しくなる
Not difficult by any measure. I do not have doubts about understanding this sentence. As I tried to read it at a speed I consider normal for English I stumbled slightly between か and ふ though.

>お友だちからお願いします
I had to double check that there wasn't a だ in there. I spent half a minute confused until I realised it was basically a "let's be friends" kinda thing (I hope). Not fully sure.

>「お友だちからお願いします」と、言ったことも言われたこともない。友だちってのは、気づいたらなっているものだ。
No problem understanding this, at least in a way that would make me think that something might be off. No rereading.

>しかし、なんだかいい言葉である。「お友だちからお願いします」。そのさきへの期待と希望を感じさせるではないか。あ、「そのさき」への期待と希望を抱いたことも抱かれたこともないから、
I read until here in one sitting and realised that the flow of the sentence was falling out of my mind. I tried reading further but had no idea what I was reading despite being able to sound everything out.

Well, now I'm just rereading that line again and again to make it stop falling out of my mind midway, even though I know it's fucking easy and I understand it.

Now it's fine, I just had to reread this
>あ、「そのさき」への期待と希望を抱いたことも抱かれたこともないから
several times. I understand the rest.

Well, it's a simple text, all things considered, and it highlights my state well.

Are you on discord? Is there a lit discord? Or a language learning discord? Someone please make it or post it if it already exists

or I guess "let us become friends first", going from further context. I had not read it when I was writing my first guess. I don't know, it is such a weird thing to say, something that the author too seems to be noting.

Hey everyone

This guy is the archetypal pseudo-intellectual we always hear about, yes he owns lingua latina, maybe even all the accessories, yes he has read some or all of it, yes he knows the basic grammar rules, but no he does not know Latin (let alone Greek)

It is an admirable passion to pursue the classical languages, but do not make such bold claims as to know the language any more than you do.

Beware else you look like this chapped ass posturing around his idealized self-image.

Not him but I can read classical prose as easily as English, it's not a crazy claim to be making.

>Swahili

It doesn't seem like anyone has said a language below the equator, so I guess I get the super special snowflake award.

>It doesn't seem like anyone has said a language below the equator
Several people have said they're learning French, user.

Right on, my conlang nigga. Dothraki for the fucking win

>Sawhili merit some attention

Boi it deserves a hell of a lot more attention than that.

In origin, ninny

English and French

I gave up on french because it felt like too much of a chore and i did not have the resources to commit myself. been learning German and find it to be fun though challenging. one day I will tackle french again.

in the off chance I gain fluency with those two I might try something more obscure like Irish or Russian.

Anyone have any experience learning Arabic? Am I better off learning classical/quranic for the bulk of worthwhile literature?
>inb4 terrorism

check int

I took five years of Latin and three of Greek using traditional pedagogy (Wheelock's and Hansen & Quinn) before even starting with LLPSI. Learning Greek through an LLPSI-like method isn't even possible textbook-wise. I am familiar with both traditional and modern methods of learning Latin, and it's simply the case that the modern methods are more effective and grounded in actual research about language acquisition. I recommend LLPSI because it is simply more effective than Wheelock's or Moreland & Fleisher or whatever G/T textbook you think is better.

I gave up german. speaking portuguese natively, german too far off. the effort I would have to put to be barely able to read in german I can literally get fluent in 3 romantic languages. not worth it, at least for now. maybe later I will to tackle german again

I'm norwegian, but used to live in denmark, so I already know norwegian, swedish and danish. As well as being proficient in english after many many years of english in school, as well as being highly exposed to american/english television.

I currently live in Berlin where i learn german while i work in france part time, so I get a lot of languages kindof passively.. Its great desu

Arabic has diverged into several different dialects on the way to becoming separate languages, so you should learn Quranic because it's understood across the Islamic world.

Any idea how difficult it would be to pick up a dialect after Quranic? I understand that although it's understood, it's considered overly formal and rarely used by anyone in day-to-day conversation.

Yeah, I think having native English helps a bit with German, but still not too much. It's a strange one.

Mark Twain wrote an essay on his struggle with German:

cs.utah.edu/~gback/awfgrmlg.html

I haven't looked into it myself, so my guess would be it depends on the dialect you want to learn, since one dialect may be more similar than another to Quranic.

And I'd say stick with Quranic. Again, it'll be the most useful if you plan to travel through north africa, Arabia and the middle east. You're gonna sound weird anyway so don't worry about that aspect. It'll probably be best as a foreigner that you act a little more formal anyway so that people give you the benefit of the doubt in conversation.

Where my speardanes at? No one is learning Old English, so they can read the 30,000 words of Old English that exist?

Ha. I tried to learn it as a kid once.

>german

>Strictly speaking, Zug means Pull, Tug, Draught, Procession, March, Progress, Flight, Direction, Expedition, Train, Caravan, Passage, Stroke, Touch, Line, Flourish, Trait of Character, Feature, Lineament, Chess-move, Organ-stop, Team, Whiff, Bias, Drawer, Propensity, Inhalation, Disposition: but that thing which it does not mean -- when all its legitimate pennants have been hung on, has not been discovered yet.

Studying Farsi now. Will (re)start Hungarian if I get to go and live there for some time.

Sahidic Coptic

That's an admiral work ethic user, keep it up!

>nowhere near as good as my English
>sucks at English

discord.gg/fa74M
Im not sure how discord works

Currently starting Italian in duolingo. Next semester I'm gonna start French at my uni

German, actually.

Me too, reading some stories at A2 level at the moment and using Sandberg's German for Reading. How's your study going?

you niggas like to tackle language more systematically, like grammar, conjugations etc, or you get the basics and jump straight into reading books and fighting your way over it?

The best way to learn fast is by full immersion with very little grammar. After you get the hang of it, then going full grammar is good if you plan on becoming an expert on said language.

I'd recommend reading How Languages are Learned. There are many approaches and some people manage to grasp the language even when using the most retarded methods. for most people a hybrid approach where you combine grammar, extensive reading, listening, translation and speaking works best.

how is full immersion even possible not living in the country that speaks that language?

Search for 'The Natural Way' series of books, they are available in english, italian, french and other languages I think.

Watch videos on youtube, movies, programs in the language.

Study everyday, that's the gist of it, even if it's only 1 hour of immersion everyday, you'll still be making progress, but it MUST BE every-single-day.