Novels involving monks, priests, bishops and popes...

Novels involving monks, priests, bishops and popes? I've recently read The Name of the Rose and I'm ready for more like it (not necessarily a murder mystery).

The Monk

The Brothers Karamazov
Diary of a Country Priest
Les Misérables

Tell me a bit more about it. It was written in 1798, for what I gather. How does it hold up these days?

>Diary of a Country Priest
Is the movie worth watching after reading the book?

I don't know, but I don't particularly watch movies of the books I read, I don't really see the point, it's the same story, the same reflections, the same message...

The only 'movie inspired by a book' that I found enjoyable was Anne of Green Gables, and even then the book is still better.

The Power and the Glory

Haven't read it but heard some good things about Vodolazkin's Laurus.

my diary

only the celibacy part tho

Are monks really celibate or do they just fuck each other in secret? I've wondered about this for my whole life.

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

A Canticle for Leibowitz. It's a must read.

I'll give you a poem - Soliloquy of the Spanish Cloister by Robert Browning

To the Islands by Randolph Stow. It's about an Anglican priest losing his faith in old age and having an existential crisis in the Australian desert. It's 10/10.

Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse is pretty good

>Tell me a bit more about it. It was written in 1798, for what I gather. How does it hold up these days?
Not him, but they're still remaking The Monk it's so deeply enmemed in canon. It's a good recommendation. Lots of nuns, priests, intrigue and wtf. Not as hard to read as Eco.

My nigga, Laurus is an absolute must-read.

I don't want to sound mean but that's not a smart way of viewing book-to-film adaptations. While I would agree that adaptations that have the same theme or story as the books they're based upon are a waste of time, you'll find that most of these kinds of films are actually heretical with the source material to make a point or to explore different avenues. A good example would be Tarkovsky's Solaris or something directed by Pasolini.

The Pope gets punched in the ear by Doctor Faustus in Doctor Faustus after he time/space travels to Rome. Then when monks come to exorcise him, he hits them too. Great scene.

This,and I stumbled across another clerical sleuth:Sister Fidelma in A Hemlock at Vespers,a Celtic Christian who has some archbishop like authority she uses to clear obstacles from her path to the truth. And,I suppose in a minor way,Father Brown,who may be too contemporary in setting for your desires,but has the higher ground in sight as he muddled through the baseness of criminal motivation.

Remix of this book by Artaud was great too btw

Lmao

Definitely not the Bible.

how about novels by monks,priests, bishops and popes?

I concur, the first couple chapters are top notch.

The Power And The Glory

Book of the Long Sun, Book of the Short Sun, Silence, Canticle For Leibowitz, Power and Glory

By Night in Chile

Justine, or The Misfortunes of Virtue

It's by Bresson so it's worth watching

Huysmans' En Route, La Cathedral, and L'oblat

It's been known for centuries that celibacy is one of the hardest aspects of orderly life, and that it can lead to behaviours such as masturbation, homosexuality, or even just sneaking over to the convent to fuck the nuns. It's one of the reasons reformers wanted to shut down monasteries. Some monks would obviously be capable of celibacy, but I bet you lots at least masturbated.

Books sucks, man. Check this TV out.

L'Abbé C by Georges Bataille.
Definitely not as good as The Story of the Eye or Blue of Noon but it's still an interesting, very dark existentialist exploration of eroticism.

Interesting, thanks. I wonder how strict modern monasteries are with regards to these things. Will you be removed from the monastery if you're caught fapping?

33 replies and no Father Brown? GK Chestertons attempt at Sherlock Holmes.

There was an old monastery near my house. My dad is a mason and him and his crew got hired by the church to restore some old power implants in said building. At a certain point they had to break an external floor and accidentally found the septic tank. There were, and i quote him, thousands and thousands of used condoms and other undefinable shit. Did the monks fuck each other? Did they fuck the noons? To this day, we still don't know: as soon as the church guy that hired them came to know what they had found he cancelled the contract and told them not to tell what happened to anybody. My dad has been telling this story in pretty much every occasion ever since.

>My dad has been telling this story in pretty much every occasion ever since.
Kek

Has anyone read The Pope's Daughter by Dario Fo. It has mixed reviews on goodreads, but that hardly means anything. Have any of you read it and would recommend it?

Holy shit. I once spent a few weeks touring monasteries all over Russia and in some of them talking to the monks really felt like talking to fratboy Chads. It all makes sense now.

I wish the BBC show was a better adaptation

Ken follet's kingsbridge trilogy follows the development of a monastic town. super comfy

The the bridge of san luis rey

Normally monastaries have had a three strike rule for sinful behavior since 500 AD.