Where should I start with the Brontes, Jane Austen, and other old female authors?

Where should I start with the Brontes, Jane Austen, and other old female authors?
Are there any that I should absolutely skip?

>Are there any that I should absolutely skip?

Yeah, the brontes and jane austen

>ywn be a qt Victorian girl writing stories and making up your own languages with other qt Victorian girls and then publishing your stories under male pseudonyms to fool those silly men
It hurts

Jane Eyre is good, Wuthering Heights is crap. The best book that Jane Austen ever wrote was Emma, and that wasn't very good.

Aphra Behn's Oroonoko was alright, but it's overused in standard university courses.

You're going to have a hard time finding good female authors before 1900.

>Wuthering Heights is crap
What makes you say so?

The whole book is spent describing what are essentially decades upon decades of unending misery without respite. In that respect it's totally uninteresting.

What user means is that it's a book about people being treated unfairly. The generational consequences of a maltreatment during childhood, while never explicitly stated, produce a kind of cycle that drives forward the plot. And the sadness inherent was there from the beginning and probably never really goes away. Think, for example, the early practice of blood vengeance. It repeats again and again. And amidst all that, you have Heathcliff, a coarse and foulmouthed orphan adopted by the master of WH, and the legitimate daughter Catherine. These two form a wild and tempestuous relationship, initially innocent of the demands of society.

You have the Romantic idea of nature vs civility, Gothic imagery and moods which were popular in the literature of the time, and unreliable narrarators who we are to feel are utterly incapable of fully grasping the passions of the protagonists.

There is that word: passions. Expect no tenderness or kindness in this novel. Many characters practically act out their emotions with seemingly no regard for reason. People will critique the book by saying that everybody is either awful/borderline/bipolar/depressed/or just outright cruel, and they wouldn't be completely wrong. But for me and many people it has a greater emotional impact than the (superior) novel Jane Eyre.

Expect raw and uncooked emotions. Whatever you read immediately after might feel superficial and artificial by comparison. But if you slug through it, I promise you, will never forget the 'Heights. Or Thrushcross Grange for that matter, the other principal locale of the setting.

Movie adaptations focus on different parts of the book. These may vary to suit the times however. An user in some other thread remarked on Cathy's ramblings on Heathcliff being beautiful, the while the narrator relates these to us as mere posturing, you'll find that we are each not entirely unlike Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw.

At his point I'm just raving. The novel does feel damp, overcast, and intense. The author, Emily, spent most of her life sick and bedridden. By our standards she didn't see much of the world. But if you're the kind of person who feels energized on chilly, windy as fuck days, then Wuthering Heights is for you. Her sister's novel, Jane Eyre, is the more accessible and will probably outlast it. WH is a train wreck that's hard to look away from. I know I'm not alone in this.

I hope you won't mind the typos. Writing on a tablet is a bitch.

they're all terrible and mostly about waah why won't chad marry meeee

You should listen to this guy OP.
he seems to have a well-bred and eloquent personality.

>Should I skip Jane Eyre and Mansfield Park?

Kill yourself

>Tfw ywn go back in time and marry one of the bronte sisters and indulge her in her autistic fantasies while she carries your patrician, genetically superior children and fulfills every one of your romantic fantasies
Why should I even get out of bed in the morning?

>The best book that Jane Austen ever wrote was Emma, and that wasn't very good.

Fuck you. Emma is a masterpiece.

it was written by a woman, idiot. It's shit compared to literature written by most white men. Try the redpill

It's not that JA and the Brontes are bad writers, it's just that they didn't touch on subjects that resonate with the masculine mind. They're for women, not that there's anything wrong with that.

This. There are barely any car chases

it's more like the core universal message is buried under feminine motifs of relationships and domestic life. The struggle of the human soul is harder to see here than in a context like man vs nature or something similar but I'd assume it's still there somewhere.

You just sold me on revisiting it. Dayum.

>writing on a tablet
>loves WH
>enthralled by the "passion" of victorian female fiction
I would bet a large sum of money that you like the form of the human penis

fuck off pleb

HEATHCLIFF
IT'S ME YOUR CATHY
I'VE COME HOME NOW
SO CO-O-OLLLLD
I never heard the song the same way until I read WH. Imagine if Jane (in Charlotte's JE) had never left to the boarding school, and had instead stayed with her mean and horrible aunt and been molded by her.

ummmm im pretty sure a woman has never written a good book

yeah i mean, what are they writing with if they dont have a penis? everyone knows before computers you just dipped your dick in ink and thats how you wrote a book. no way a woman could have done that.... could they?

women are simply stupid. they have poop in their heads compared to men

With the Brontes, start with Charlotte's Jane Eyre. With Austen, start with Pride and Prejudice. For other authors, try Eliot's The Mill and the Floss, Edith Wharton's Age of Innocence, and Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway,

In my opinion, cruelty and depression can have no impact unless there's a break from it. This is why the second half of WH is superior, since young Cathy and Linton are actually sympathetic, and why the first half comes off as overly melodramatic garbage.

If you want a story about fucked up relationships, I recommend pic related over WH.

I never thought I'd ever see an instance of a song being better than the book it was based off of, but Kate Bush somehow managed to pull it off.

Read Fanny Burney
18th century English novel>19th century English novel

>reading female authors
>reading anglo authors
>reading female anglo authors