What is it with writers and cats? Some very famous writers like HP Lovecraft we're total cat people...

What is it with writers and cats? Some very famous writers like HP Lovecraft we're total cat people. I think the only accomplished writer who heated cats was Tolkien. is it because they're quiet and not as likely to to still be at work having to go outside for walks or to defecate? Or is it because a lot of writers are already very cat-like?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/shelf/show/cat-mystery
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You've read of several kinds of Cat,
And my opinion now is that
You should need no interpreter
To understand their character.
You now have learned enough to see
That Cats are much like you and me
And other people whom we find
Possessed of various types of mind.
For some are sane and some are mad
And some are good and some are bad
And some are better, some are worse--
But all may be described in verse.
You've seen them both at work and games,
And learnt about their proper names,
Their habits and their habitat:
But how would you ad-dress a Cat?

So first, your memory I'll jog,
And say: A CAT IS NOT A DOG.

And you might now and then supply
Some caviare, or Strassburg Pie,
Some potted grouse, or salmon paste--
He's sure to have his personal taste.
(I know a Cat, who makes a habit
Of eating nothing else but rabbit,
And when he's finished, licks his paws
So's not to waste the onion sauce.)
A Cat's entitled to expect
These evidences of respect.
And so in time you reach your aim,
And finally call him by his NAME.

So this is this, and that is that:
And there's how you AD-DRESS A CAT.

I honestly deeply respect cats, and think humans these days can learn a lot from thinking about them.
Cats are independent, and mostly indifferent to anything other than their own desires. Up against humans, a pet who doesn't care for their owner can be seen as rude and disrespectful - inferior to the infinite love offered by a dog. People don't always get what they want with a cat; an owner can adopt a cat, have all these dreams about what the cat will be like, fantasize about how cozy and cute it will be, and the cat they get will be the complete opposite and they'll just have to deal with that - they're like people.

Each cat is an individual, with individual personality that can rarely be muted. We can try to get cats to love us (Pavlovian scientists may succeed) and convince them, but most cats will just be themselves despite our efforts. I think this is frustrating to people who want companionship, but it can contain a valuable lesson about respect and individuality if you can get over yourself to see it. If you approached people like a dick cat who won't come to you on any terms other than its own, we'll see people as who they are, let them express themselves as who they want to be, we will become more patient and receptive to differences.

I think there's something in this revelation that may answer why writers enjoy cats. I think they are like real characters, full of shitty aspects and great ones too.

>heated cats

damn didnt know old Tolkien cooked cats

I have 7 cats in my home with around 5 or more daily coming and going to my garden daily (who also sometimes sleeps inside depending on the weather) I can tell you this post is 100% correct. All of them are different people just like humans. Some even hate each other and some have their own clique of 3. Over the years I cared for them I can honestly say any one of them is more precious to me than all the other people I know.

There's an entire sub-genre of the (sub-genre) of Cozy detectives, called Cat-Mystery novels.

goodreads.com/shelf/show/cat-mystery

a cute
CUTE

cute squirrel

There have been many writers. Many people like cats. As one would expect, there is considerable overlap between these two groups.
That's all there is to it.

Pets are reflections of their owners. Energetic and socially pleasant people get big dogs, autistic nerdy weirdos get tarantulas and iguanas, brainless fuckdolls get purse-sized angry little mutts, lazy egocentric pseudointellectuals fetishizing their individuality get cats.

You have it backwards. Cat feces carry a brain parasite that makes you love cats and makes you a writer.

>the only accomplished writer who heated cats was Tolkien
uhm no

>lazy egocentric pseudointellectuals fetishizing their individuality get cats.

/thread

Brb sniffing the litter box

Not sure what you're talking about OP.

reddit faggot

Good post

You were saying ?

sitting here by the window
sweating beer sweat
mauled by the summer
I am looking at the cat’s balls.

[…]
there’s his tail, damned thing,
hanging out of the
way—
I view his furry storage tanks—
what can a man think about
while looking at a cat’s nuts?
certainly not the sunken navies of
great sea battles.
certainly not a program to aid the
poor.
certainly not a flower market or a dozen
eggs.
certainly not a broken light switch.
balls iz balls, that’s all—
and most certainly a cat’s balls,

this put into words what I've tried to describe to people to years.

True.
t. cat guy

What if you own some Goats?

I HATE CATS

Smelly muslim

I just bought the Gorey version. Here's a (you)