What is Veeky Forums's stance on comic books, graphic novels, bande dessinée, comic strips and Disney comics?

What is Veeky Forums's stance on comic books, graphic novels, bande dessinée, comic strips and Disney comics?

Not even the most inveterate snob here can fault me for reading them if I do it to learn a foreign language

watch tintin on youtube

Idk man i like moomin comic strips and old Battle, Warlord, and 2000 AD

Veeky Forums is full of pretentious faglords, Post-Irony bros, and Pseudo-Intellectuals, none of which know jack shit about literature or art, so I don't you should care about what anyone on this board says on the matter. Personally I am very fond of comics and consider them an excellent artistic medium

t. guy who dresses up as superhero in his mom's basement

Tintin is patrician. I own them all.

Havent read Tin Tin, but Krazy Kat is super good. Calvin and Hobbes still holds a lot of nolstagia value too.

Fuck off pleb

Hergé was based AF.

>comic books, graphic novels, bande dessinée, comic strips and Disney comics
Don't be a faglord, they are comics.
I don't know what sort of "stance" I'm supposed to have. It's an art form. I read comics relatively often, some of them are bad, some of them are good.

Tintin is a fun adventure comic with fantastic stories. Veeky Forums hates it.

This is the best graphic novel ever made

I like Jim Woodring and Victor Moscoso

This.

Kek.

They can be pretty good but by their very style are inherently unable to do what books do. A comic or graphic novel has a very limited space for written words. It tries to make up for it in pictures but I dont think its a good enough of a job.

Junji Ito is pretty amazing. And the Tintin/Asterix books based on nostalgia.

edgy shit

You can get some amazing stuff now like Blankets or Fun House that are about real people and experiences, as opposed to some hogbutcher English turd trying to wow everybody with his working-class excrement.

If it's Disney or superhero then I'm okay telling it to fuck off. Otherwise I like them; I'm just too poor to buy them.

>If it's Disney then I'm okay telling it to fuck off.
Did you ever actually read the Donal Duck comics?

Tintin is top tier

I really liked Blankets, but I really hate Craig Thompson with a passion. I hate his cheap excuse to reject Christianity, and I really hate how Raina and him could and should have stayed together and be happy, but got separated out of petty things. He is one of the few people I truly hate and wish nothing but the worst to, and I think he is a great writer for installing me that hate for him

Fun Home is much better, is a terrific story, but it scares me how Allison's parents were both Patrivians and still that did not improve their lives at all

Have been rereading these recently out of nostalgia and some of the racier parts are worse than I remember, but holy fuggg I love this comic.

This is my all time favourite graphic novel, only God can judge me

What does Veeky Forums think of Watchmen?

Good, but overrated. There are much better American comics over there, like Maus, Blankets, Fun Home, Pyongyang... even TDKR is better

based don rosa

They're alright but a medium of their own, and it always bothers me when people try to push "graphic novels" as literature.

Best comic probably

>American capeshit comics
trash tier
>American Disney comics
high tier
>Japanese comics
trash tier
>European Disney comics
low tier
>Franco-Belgian comics
god tier

this is objective fact

Yaaaaaaasssssss

Basically this to be quite desu

One of my favourites, if not the one. The art style is good, there are many better ones out there overall, but certain parts, particularly when they go crazy with the coloring, are excellent.
Probably a part of my appreciation is due to its accessibility, it talks about nihilism in an easy to digest fashion (polyphonic). Stuff like Asterios Polyp and Jimmy Corrigan is much more hermetic when it comes interpretation, so I appreciate those mainly for their technique, rather than their totality like WM.

>Pyongyang... even TDKR is better
Jesus Christ

Also, on Franco-Belgian comics:

>Elder God Tier
Corto Maltese, Blueberry
>God Tier
Blacksad, Tintin
>Great Tier
Blake and Mortimer, Lucky Luke, Thorgal
>Good tier
Asterix, Valerian, XIII
>Meh Tier
Spirou, Marsupilami, Gaston Lagaffe, Michel Vaillant

The only comics I read were some Tintin, Lucky Luke, Astérix and Garfield strip anthologies.
I have zero experience with comics, even after reading Making Comics and Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud.
Manga I have read only two.
I enjoyed both, but I can’t imagine myself waiting a week for a few pages.

Corto is Italian tho
Are you american?

I fucking know Pratt is Italian! But Corto Maltese is Franco-Belgian style, you racist motherfucker

And Corto is technically British...

Tintin is brilliant and it's what got me into reading and made me so curious about the world as a little kid. I probably wouldn't be into books as much as I am now if it wasn't for Herge. People talk about Atlas Shrugged and Lord of the Rings as being defining books in their lives all the time, for me it was definitely Tintin and I wish more people would say that

My grandfather was the editor for Herge, so Tintin has a special place in my heart

Marsupilami is life you heretic

Shut up. Spirou and its spinoffs are all mediocre

They're quality and shit comic books like quality and shit anything else. Nothing wrong with Herge, Schuiten and Peeters, etc.

I like comics and graphic novels, but I also read quite a bit of "real" books. I dunno, do what you like, who gives a fuck?

/co/ will be a lot more helpful than Veeky Forums will be though

This. My dad bought me a Tintin comic when I was young (it was Flight 714) and I read the shit out of it. I began reading all the others and now I’ve read them all. Great stories.

Just stay away from the anglo and korean ones as they are all shit, the rest can be good or not.

delete

>/co/ will be a lot more helpful than Veeky Forums will be though
Sadly, this is completely wrong.

I hardly go there anymore, havent looked at it in years, but did the board fall off or something? They were fairly helpful without being douchey when I asked for some suggestions a while back

I doubt they ever were good. I posted there only once, made a thread about Corto Maltese. The few people who found it among the countless capeshit and children cartoon threads mostly hadn't read it and asked me how to start, while I had originally asked about their interpretation of "Mu" (the last Corto comic). Some nigger who hasn't read one single Corto even started criticizing it.
Basically, it's shit, as far as I see.

(cont)
The occasional Veeky Forums threads were much more useful to me, I have to say. I had Sergio Toppi recommended to me by some user, and his "Sharaz-de" is a real gem.

>eyes are too bad to read comics with small fonts

i wrote a 10 page paper about persepolis because it was a picture book lol

Mu is a great swam song

By the way, Rasputin survived

Correction, he's a Gypsy, you mongoloid.

Behold one of the greatest comics and novels, I give you Lord Horror & Reverbstorm. Pic related.

But he is a British subject, born in La Valleta, resident in Antigua, you retardo.

So are the Rotherham sex pests, you turkroach.
Go wave your little passport someplace else. Blood doesn't lie.

I love them. Tintin, Moomins, Bone, Asterix and Obelisk, Heavenly Nostrils, Don Rosa's Scrooge McDuck comics, etc.

May be good or bad. But they are not Veeky Forums

European Comics are as good as any other European novelle - Superhero comics are a guilty pleasure for me.
Manu Larcenet is my favorite comic author.

Unironically this. That a story about talking ducks can convey such feels is surreal.