I literally can't understand why people think death is a bad thing. Can you guys explain it to me Veeky Forums...

I literally can't understand why people think death is a bad thing. Can you guys explain it to me Veeky Forums? It seems like the only reason people think it's negative is its association with pain, but now we have drugs like Nembutal that we can take to die painlessly in our sleep. Hegesias of Cyrene was right, death is more desirable than life. Why doesn't everybody in the world kill themselves together? Why did my parents take me from the void of non-existence just so they could have a 5 second orgasm? I'm going to kill myself tomorrow with a smile on my face.

Why would you take a drug? That would just send you into an endless dream. Only way to go out is with a shotgun blast m8.

There are SO many reasons, OP. One: people can't control death, you can't reverse it, and you can't stop it completely.

I dont understand. Does anyone have any good recommendations on the Philosophy of suicide? What's wrong with not being able to reverse death, it doesn't matter since you won't exist anymore.

I dont mind pain personally, Im just saying it seems like one of the few reasons death has a negative connotation is because it's usually thought of to be painful, and most people spend their entire lives avoiding pain.

I'd never get to be cuddled by my mom again or even talk to her :(

I thought it was generally more associated with the fear of the privation of consciousness, or the loss of possibilities in general.
Also, you didn't give any reasons as to why death is favorable. I know the old pessimist line that life is more full of suffering than
non-existence, but I never found my life to be so terrible. Eudaimonia and shit nigger.

On Suicide by Hume

>inb3 myf of sissy fuck
That's a shit essay tbqh desu

Is life just a cult then? The parents the slavemasters and you the slave? Have any philosophers written on the coercive nature of parent child relationships?

Because they have severe depression and nothing worth striving in life.

I have never "enjoyed" living in the world. Why should I be attacked for that though, I never chose it. People like to criticize people for not being able to cope with something that was forced upon them.

I enjoy my personal mental state and the ability I have to alter the physical world around me.

Death is a finality that means the extinguishing of the individual that over the years I have come to love. Not only in the interest of preserving myself, but in the interest of continuing to exert control over the physical world, I endure.

I do not fear pain, and on the contrary I can think of countless examples in which I have chosen assured pain over the alternative, typically I have done this to preserve the personal image I maintain, or to exert control over my surroundings and shape them to what I wish them to be.

Most people would choose pain over a loss in pride. What is pride? It is a service to one's self and one's self-held convictions.I would never choose suicide because it is a betrayal of self, a self-imposed betrayal of one's will.

Yeah, but philosophers usually call it 'love'

Oh wait, I thought you meant why people think death is a good thing.

Well, some people enjoy living or have been tantalized with the promise of hapiness.

I'm giving you a reason why not all people want to die.
The difference between you and I for instance is a mix of contingency and perspective, and at the end of the day, I enjoy living.

>I literally can't understand why people think death is a bad thing.
You mean physically why? Take one group of people who thinks dying is fine, and another who is averse to it; which group dies more? Which group produces the most offspring? Of course people think death is bad.

If you're asking for an intellectual reason, there doesn't always have to be one. I'm sympathetic to 's reasons though. You should at least want to procrastinate death; it isn't like you're going to miss your opportunity or something. Minimally you should want to take in life while you can and check death out later, unless your life is super fucked and you're bedridden in a redundant coma or something, I don't know.

THERE IS SOMETHING VERY WRONG WITH ME Veeky Forums. I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH BOTH SCHIZOTYPAL PERSONALITY DISORDER AND AUTISM. PEOPLE SAY I SHOULDN'T KILL MYSELF BUT WHY SHOULD I LISTEN TO THEM WHEN I LITERALLY DONT UNDERSTAND OR HAVE ANY EMOTIONS ABOUT OTHER HUMANS I CAN ONLY RELATE TO FICTIONAL CHARACTERS IN NOVELS I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT WANTING TO KILL OTHER PEOPLE, TO WATCH THEIR LIFE BE EXTINGUISHED UNDER MY GRIP. I DON'T UNDERSTAND MORALITY, I LIVE IN A TOTALLY SOLIPSISTIC WORLD AND CAN'T RELATE TO ANYTHING EXTERNAL. PLEASE MAKE IT STOP

I mean, you sound like you like books at least. You also seem to be concerned with the fact that you're violent, which means you're at least a little bit more than just that. Of course, I'd rather you kill yourself than kill me if that's what it comes down to.

Can I use this as pasta?

I think its mostly just the fear of non-existence.

>I'm going to kill myself tomorrow with a smile on my face
Had you done that before making this thread you'd have brought a smile on my face as well.

Best post I've read on Veeky Forums in a while tbqh

LOOK BUDDY HERES WHAT I THINK: NOTHINH SHOULD HAVE EVER HAPPENED ON THIS PLANET. EVERY ACTION IS A MISTAKE. I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW ANYONE COULD BE AGAINST VOLUNTARY EUTHANASIA FOR ALL. THE RIGHT TO END ONES LIFE IS THE MOST BASIC OF ALL. IF OTHERS CAN FORCE YOU TO LIVE YOU DO NOT OWN YOURSELF AND YOU BELONG TO THEM. YOU ARE NOTHIBG BUT A SLAVE. MOTHERS ARE DISGUSTING CREATURES WHO LIKE RETURN TO THE VOID FROM WHICH WE ALL CAME THROUGH THE ACT OF "S*XUAL PROCREATION" AND THEN USE PSYCHOLOGICAL "EMPATHY TRICKS IN ORDER TO FORCE THEIR OFFSPRING TO SUFFER. I HAVR NEVER MASTURVATED BEFORE IN MY LIFE AND HAVE NOT TOUCHED MY PENIS IN 2 YEARS. NO S*X NO M*RRIAGE THE FEMALE BODY IS A ROTTEN PIT, A TOILET WITH NINE HOLES POURING OUT ALL SORTS OF FILTH. ANYONE WHO ENFAGES IN THE ACT KNOWN AS S*X DESERVES ETERNAL TORMENT

well I can't disagree with that

>LOOK BUDDY

Death is a total unknown, but what is certain about life is possibility. So if you are certain that you are out of options in life, then by all means roll that dice and kill yourself.

how can you feel its wrong if you have no morals or cant relate

IF THERE IS ONE THING THAT I KNOW IT IS THIS: I WILL FEEL LIKE A BOY UNTIL I KILL A MAN. I LITERALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE ENGAGE WITH THE EXTERNAL WORLD AT ALL, WHY THEY WORK OR EAT OR SOCIALIZE OR WHATEVER IT IS THAT NORMAL HUMANS DO. I THINK WE SHOULD ALL 8 BILLION OF US GATHER TOGETHER AND TALK ABOUT THE ONLY 2 THINGS THAT MATTER, BIRTH AND DEATH. THEN ALL OF US WILL KILL EACH OTHER IN A MAD FRENZY SENDING UP AN OBELISK OF FIRE THAT RAISES TO THE KOSMOS. IMAGINE AN ENDLESS CYCLICAL FUTURE OF SCHIZOTYPAL TWEENS PREDESTINED TO BE DELIRIOUS KEKSLAVES, AN ATAVISTIC PROTO BLACK METAL OFFERING TO THE HEAVENS SACRIFICIED UPON THE ALTAR OF THE FIRMAMENT AS VULTURES CIRCLE BURSTING OUT INSIDE YOU LIKE A ROAR. YOU KNOW HOW THERE WAS THAT THREAD ASKING ABOUT WHAT WILL HAPPEN AFTER POSTMODERNISM? THIS IS IT. THE WORSHIP OF DEATH. PRAISE THANATOS. IT WILL BE SO BEAUTIFUL. THE PRACTICE OF SCALPHUNTING AND MAKING TROPHIES OF HUMAN FLESH AND BONES IS AS OLD AS THE STARS. ANY COUNTRY THAT GENUFLECTS AT THE ALTAR OF FREEDOM (AKA SATINS PIT AMERICA) IS GOING TO REVERE VIOLENCE ABOVE ALL OTHER HUMAN ACTIVITIES BEVAUSE IT IS THE MOST BASIC PRIMORDIAL DESIRE THAT ANIMATES MAN, PRECEDING AND EVEN SUPPLANTING S*X AND THE DESIRE TO SEEK SUSTENANCE

Mass death? Yes.

Anti-Natalism? No.

Get a grip, beta!

now you've just gotten hilariously edgy

average Veeky Forumsposter

is this an original work or did you get it from someone's manifesto?

heh

CUZ I'M JUST ANOTHER CHILD WHO HAS BEEN MINDFUCKED BY THE CULTURAPISTS BRAH, CARRIED OFF TO OTHER WORLDS IN STREAMS OF SEMEN.

APARRENTLY THERE IS A WORLD FILTER FOR THE WORLD C*UCK NOW. DOES REI KOZ STILL POST HERE? HE SAID THE DESTINY OF MILLENIALS WAS TO RAZE THE WORLD TO THE GROUND.

THIS IS THE ULTIMATE TRANSGRESSION AND THE LOGICAL CONCLUSION AND COMPLETEMENT OF THE RADICAL CRITIQUE OF POSTMODERNISM, POSTSTRUCTURALISM, QUEER THEORY, THE RADICAL CRITIQUE THAT REFUSES TO BE RECUPERATED. I USED TO BE A LEFTIST BUT THEYRE ALL BUREAUCRATS AT HEART, DON'T BE FOOLED BY ALL THE CALCULATED 'TRANSGRESSION' AND SNARK, THESE PEOPLE ARE COPS. SHRINKS. LOW LEVEL SECURITY OPERATIVES WORKING FOR AN ALL ENCOMPASSING LIBERAL MANAGERIAL SOCIETY OF CONTROL. THEY HIDE BEHIND THE BANNER OF COMMON SENSE RATIONALITY, 'BASIC HUMAN DECENCY' AND OTHER EMPTY SIGNIFIERS WHILE PRESIDING OVER THE LIQUIDATION AND BANALIZATION OF BEING. THEIR ROLE IS FUNDAMENTALLY REPRESSIVE, THAT OF TURNING SUBJECTS INTO OBJECTS OF MANAGEMENT, OEDIPALIZING THEM INTO THE NEW POSTFORDIAN POWER STRUCTURES IE. 'WOMEN IN TECH', LOCKHEED MARTIN SPONSORED PRIDE PARADES. READ DEBORD'S COMMENTARY ON THE SOCIETY OF SPECTACLE AND AGAMBEN'S HOMO SACER AND TELL ME IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE RIGHT-WING CONSPIRACY SHIT THIS IS WHAT THE FRENCH AIDS MAN KNEW AS THE SOCIETY OF CONTROL. THE TOTALISING SPECTACLE OF LATE CAPITALISM. I SAY FUCK IT. FUCK EVERYTHING. I AM PURE NEGATION. AND THERE ARE MILLIONS WHO AGREE WITH ME. DID I FUCK UP OR WAS IT THE WORLD WHO FUCKED UP? WE SECRETLY YEARN FOR CATASTROPHE, BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING LEFT BUT CATASTROPHE. BRING ON THE APOCALYPSE. THE TRUE REVOLUTION GOES BEYOND LEFT AND RIGHT. BECOME NOMAD WARMACHINE.

Suicide is always an option.

EDGY IS A MEANINGLESS SIGNIFIER. DO YOU THINK TIMOTHY MCVEIGH WAS EDGY?

Did you just read Industrial society and its future user?

>people like existing and don't want to cease existing
Shocking!

THEODORE JOHN KACZYNSKI ACTUALLY LIVED. YOU DONT.

Existence and non-existence are fucking memes.
Stop talking about it.

WHAT WILL U DO AFTER THE ORGY

ah a fatalist,
you'll never make it OP

Wtf they never banned Rei Koz why did they have to ban me just for writing in all caps.

ever want to make a psychopath mad? tell them murder is pointless

It's because they're attached to what they view as the pleasures of life, having forgotten that this world is just like a play or a temporary abode where we have to stay a while.

Source: I'm dying right now, and not of my freewill. Had a vision last night where I thought I was going to hell, and I realized the vision was only so bad because I didn't want to let go of life and was too attached to it. Our own desires create hell.

what does your version of hell look like?

>going to get waterboarded
>can get up whenever you want
>well I might as well procrastinate getting up for two hours instead of just getting up immediately

That quote is salty af haha
What a champion

Check out Hamlet’s “To be or not to be” speech. It has a pretty decent explanation of the fear of death: “For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause—there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life.
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
Th'oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of dispriz'd love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office, and the spurns
That patient merit of th'unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscovere'd country, from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will,
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?”

im going to kill myself bros, how do i do it?

yeah details please

seppuku with a blade folded over one thousand times is the only acceptable answer

Nobody has anything “worth” striving for in life. You cannot disprove this.

you can't prove it either
It looks like you're a failure after all

Anyony else have basically no survival instinct? It's like I don't have the thing in my head that tells I need to stay alive and not die. The thought of extreme pain even sounds enticing. I could easily just go jump off the roof right now and it wouldn't matter to me. I know how delusional this probably sounds to most people.

What does your version of after-death look like?

The good thing about people like OP is that they'll never have the chance to spread their genetic disease. Suicidal nihilism and antinatalism are mind viruses that die with the person they infect given their nature of necessitating death and a lack of breeding. It's only through mutation that they continue to crop up at all

enjoy another thousand years of war and suffering faggot

>unless your life is super fucked and you're bedridden in a redundant coma or something, I don't know.
read to the end of the posts you're replying to before replying

literally this

I use to think like this, but now I think the biggest reason for fear of death is fear of loss. Once you have something you don't want to lose knowing death could take it away at any moment is terrifying. A reasonable conclusion from this would be to avoid finding something you don't want to lose, but I think that whole adage of "it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved" really rings true. Right now the thing I coudn't bear to lose is my dog, because of her I know what it's like to truly care for and be cared for by another. I raised her from near birth and she's only 6, but she's a dog and I'm a person and unless something happens to me I'll certainly outlive her. And I know it'll fucking suck and I'll be heartbroken for a long time, but I'll still have gotten to experience my time with her and I'll hold onto those memories and emotions for as long as I can. And I'll keep looking for connections like that because for me they're infinitely better than nothingness.

>long paragraph about a relationship with non-sentient monsters
wew lad, look how far humanity has fallen

don't worry lad dogs love edgy people too

So youre saying youre just a slave to your genetics then, and no matter how bad life is youre going to continue to reproduce because of some abstract responsibility or animal instinct you feel?

And also the only way you can argue against antinatalism and nihilism is if you're religious, and since we know those aren't true anymore humanity will move on to its next phase of ethical reduction of suffering through non-procreation.

>I could easily just go jump off the roof right now and it wouldn't matter to me.
ok do it

I'm going to in 3 years. It wouldn't bother me if I got hit by a car now though or anything. I have no desire or attachments towards anything.

>is if you're religious
wrong, but brainlets wouldn't understand

mfw a typical quasi intellectual thread on Veeky Forums is actually a clever Nembutal ad

>dogs
>non-sentient
The word you're looking for is sapient, not sentient, you dip. We aren't classified as Homo sentiens.

What ethical system do you follow then? Anti-natalism seems like the logical end game of human civilization.

can you prove that dogs are sentient
have you asked one?

Anyone who fucking replies earnestly to this post I swear to god don't fuckin do it you're better than that. Fuck you don't

stop projecting

do you think your sentient just because you say so ?

how do you know that I'm not replying to myself?

>I dont mind pain
You won't kill yourself because you don't even have the guts to tell the truth on an anonymous image board.

>I literally can't understand why people think death is a bad thing.

Stoics argued the same.

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.

>I literally don't care
>ok do it
>sure in 3 years

He was just Larkin though

Yeah, I don't care.

If you wouldn't care you'd do it today, you edgy fuck.

t. fag