I want to learn a new language. What language will yield the best reading?

I want to learn a new language. What language will yield the best reading?

English

Latin

French and German

Why is it that there are so many threads about languages on this board? Isn't it about literature?

German is terrible for what OP wants.

Ancient Greek

Goethe proves that wrong

Russian is the best language for better access to classic literature.

Some of the greatest books of all time like Taras Bulba, The Cossacks, The Brothers Karamazov, etc. are so much better in their native language than the English translations.
The alphabet only takes a couple of weeks to master and then the rest is just like learning any other language.

Are Slav languages just better for expressing emotion?

>The alphabet only takes a couple of weeks to master and then the rest is just like learning any other language.
or you could just like learn any other language and save a few weeks

As a Slav, no.

Some languages can be translated into others well enough. I'd learn one that can't be translated into your own too easily.

Ancient Greek.
Did you know that in the tongue of Zeus, 'ugly' and 'shameful' were the same word? αἰσχρός

Haskell or LISP

yo hitler can you make the dick a little bigger my man haha

stop being gay

Classics: Greek, Latin, Hebrew, Sanskrit, Chinese
Literature: English, French, Italian and/or German, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese.
Philosophy: Latin, Greek, Arabic, German, French, English.

Proto-indo-european roots and the modern words derived from them in all languages. You should eventually be able to read all European languages.
>Why learn one when you can learn them all

It really depends on your taste, read some translated literature from different countries and choose based on your tastes. I mean France has a big literary history but I just dislike most it, so I have no interest in the language

Same as in Modern actually

Italian if you want the most beautiful poetry in the world.
French/German if you're more interested in philosophy.

Please learn Greek it's a good language you will like it it's not even that hard please appreciate the modern one too it is nice as well

2 years of studying Russian at uni. Can tell you that it's not so simple learning Russian. Yes, you can learn the alphabet well in a week or two, but the sheer amount required to read classic lit is more than you are telling.

The grammar is manageable, but the vocabulary required to understand classic Russian lit is often different from what you would use in conversation-and so it's like you're learning two different languages.

It greatly varies by writer. There's no way in hell I can successfully read a Dostoesky novel in Russian, and reading stylistically sophisticated stuff like Mayakovsky is a soul crusher. But Chekhov is manageable.

You're describing every language. But you're right, learning a language to any degree of real fluency is not an easy task at all. I guess we're lucky to be on a board where everyone is a genius who speaks Greek, Latin, and a number of other significant European languages as well, hahahahaha.

>latin
yeah OP, if you interested in any romantic languages (portuguese, italian, french, romenian, spanish, others) I'd strongly suggest latin, especially if you are a christfag. Just like German and French are the (modern) lingua-francas of philosophy, latin is the lingua franca of theology. Its the church's language and it is amazing, because it didn't cease or didn't came to be, it is since the beginning, the church's language, and the same ceremonies/prayers/etc were, since 1500 years ago to this day, in the very same language. And doesn't matter which country you are, the churches, at least the orthodox ones, will hold ceremonies in Latin, and that, for me at least, is wonderful. Its a language that transcends nations and territory.

Besides that, you'll have the romans at hand and the great medieval literature/philosphy/theology.

If you become "fluent" in latin, learning the romantic languages will be way easier.

If you were to learn arabic and master it then youll enjoy alot of arabic poetry, arabic poems are by far more superior than english

Polish