Are there any books or passages that do well at describing the way people act when they're arguing with each other...

Are there any books or passages that do well at describing the way people act when they're arguing with each other? I'm not interested in the words used, or physical fighting, but how to describe the voices and demeanor of people when they're angry at each other.

Pic partially related.

>pic unrelated
At least it wasn't tits and ass.

shakespeare

Not Veeky Forums but Before Midnight has the most uncomfortable couples argument I've ever seen in media.

>Fagles
my man

since you obviously had the privilege of growing up in a stable household how about you hang out at a bar and wait for people to get into arguments then take some notes you silly queer

that translation is legitimately so bad compared to Lattimore's

Anything specific? I'm not sure how much I'm going to hear actor's describing each other's faces, and there were certainly no detailed stage directions.

Thanks.

I'm not saying I've never SEEN people angry, I'm saying I want to have some examples of ways to describe it well in writing.

if you had seen people angry and had a brain you would know how to write it. think about why they are angry. the deep seated resentment. the fear and the dread of confrontation. the catharsis of being true to your emotions. this is not difficult if you try.

lattimore is my favorite aeneid but i've never read his homer. would probably enjoy.

Lattimore's Odyseey is an incredible work, if you read it in 4 page chunks. After a while the long' long chanted lines just leave you punch drunk. Theres a reason noone uses those hexameters in English

Well, it's difficult for me, which is why I'm asking for examples. Most stuff I see is just basic descriptions:
She scowled. She glared. She snarled. She looked like she was going to kill him. She had anger in her eyes.

I'd like to see some more figurative language to describe this.

>Sing, goddess, the anger of Peleus' son Achilleus
>Achilleus
Dropped

Have the greek first line of the iliad tattooed on my arse

I don't like this at all. It feels like it's trying to be too literal.

anti-fagles posters are the worst. You can say other translations are better at specific things but Fagles will always be superior in overall quality.

this is the best if you can hack it, but if you know anything about Greek, Lattimore is obviously the best. "It's too literal" might be the worst complaint I've ever heard.

>"It's too literal" might be the worst complaint I've ever heard.
There is a point at which one can so slavishly try to replicate the original language that it damages the quality of the translation. You're recommending an interlinear, though, so I'm sure this fact is lost on you.

>There is a point at which one can so slavishly try to replicate the original language that it damages the quality of the translation.
This doesn't happen with Lattimore. If you want training wheels that's fine, but don't pretend that you're riding a 10-speed.

>If you want training wheels that's fine
Lol. I want a translation that reads well, if not beautifully, in English. If that's "training wheels" then I'll happily take my training wheels. If I wanted Greek I'd learn Greek.

If a girl had a tattoo about Achilles' rage on her ass I'd fuck her a lot harder.

Ugh. "since that time when first there stood in division of conflict" ?
Sounds academic, detached, unmusical.
Compare to "when the two first broke and clashed".

It seems to me that this interlinear has the Greek words rearranged to facilitate arrangement of the English translations. The original Greek is in the image I'm attaching.

it does i just couldnt immediately find another interlinear

The rage sing, goddess, of Peleidean Achilles,
Devastating, that myriad on the Achaians pains put,
Many strong souls to hell sent
Of heroes, them into prey made for dogs,
Birds of prey too, all of them, as of God was being consummated the will,
Start from when indeed at first stood they apart having contended,
Atreides the lord of men and godlike Achilles.