/dg/ - deenz general

So you guys memed me into eating some deenz today and it wasn't that bad, just a little bland. I ended up putting them on saltines and dabbling some hot sauce on to make them pop a little.

Recommend me some more flavorful alternatives that I can actually get my hands on. I live in a shithole with a Publix, Walmart and a Harveys so any off the wall brand stuff I'm not going to have access to.

Attached: 241330.jpg (480x480, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/metals/ucm115644.htm
maangchi.com/recipe/myulchibokkeum
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I get King Oscar, a bit pricey here, but boneless and yummy

I got some boneless to ease me into the deen life but now I don't notice the bones and can eat the cheap ones

i think part of the appeal of sardines is that they're a great vessel for hot sauces if you get the plain ones.

my favorite is king oscar with jalapenos. if i have just plain sardines i might add a little olive muffaletta mix, pickled jalapenos, or eat them on a flavorful bread

Today I bought:
King Oscar two-layer brisling, in olive oil
king oscar kippers
crown prince kippers
Wild planet sardines in olive oil

I'll probably eat one tonight and get back to you

You're supposed to just chew the bones up, right?

>You're supposed to just chew the bones up, right?
Yes, the bones are a little "chalky" in texture but perfectly edible in fish this small. Free calcium my dude

I also tried these today. I think I actually like the deenz better to be honest.

Attached: PART_1353800582529.jpg (444x315, 153K)

Total novice here. What are some entry-level deenz?
Also, what's the difference between sardines and anchovies?

>Also, what's the difference between sardines and anchovies?
They're two different species of fish.
Anchovies should not be eaten straight out of the can. They're packed in way too much salt. They're really more use for garnishing or making sauces. I guess the fish are so small they dissolve and just add a really strong umami component to any sauce.

as far as food goes, anchovies are tiny and usually salted all to hell, they're used for their strong flavor.

sardines are typically larger fish and much milder, imagine canned tuna except the flavor is a little different and you have a complete fish body (no head, sometimes no tail) instead of a packed tin of meat.

entry level, look for skinless and boneless. season sardines are really consistent from what i've seen, very mild. king oscar is also very good. plan to eat them with some saltines (helps cut the oiliness) and maybe some hot sauce if you have a favorite.

I got a can of sardines and it can be pushed up and down a little on one end, do you guys think it’s safe to eat?
i got a can that was bulging like a week ago so now I’m paranoud

Just took a bite of King Oscar brand smoked kipper snacks.

Absolutely repulsive. I must dislike the taste of smoke. It tastes like a house fire smells

Does anyone know if great value and beach cliff sardines are the same maker?

Are any of these worth trying?

Attached: beach-cliff-sardines-variety-pack-5-flavor-assortment-sardines-in-water-soybean-oil-louisianna-hot-s (320x355, 37K)

yeah but don't buy on amazon, get them for $0.88 at your store

They're good and cheap

Do you guys have any favorites that I should try?

the hot sauce and mustard ones are my favorite.

I love any brand of "brisling sardines" smoked is the best but I watching my sodium

these are my favorite so far but the almost $2 a can at the store and "european" canned. Unfortunately USA doesn't have a sardine cannery oh well.

Attached: 14518-angled_800x.jpg (800x800, 57K)

Mustard and hot sauce are both great on sardines, but personally when they come packed in it it's too much for me. Definitely try them though cause it could save you a step

Rate my deenz and other canned fish

Attached: IMG_20180314_205930.jpg (1944x1945, 921K)

Soybean oil are fucking trash bro. Olive or bust.

boys... soy... soy oil.... now I know a deen boy gotta eat sardines daily, it's part of the package... but should I give soy oil a chance or stick to the hetero packing water and sauces?

I like soybean oil sardines with hotsauce, which olive oil deenz it seems like a waste.

Deenz a good way to lose weight folks ?

Eating fewer calories than you burn is a good way to lose weight.

Just drain the oil before you dig in.
It's definitely tastier. Sometimes I'll get a baguette, slice some of it up to put deenz on, and use the rest to dip in the leftover olive oil.

I'm gonna do it, ba/ck/hoes.

Attached: a7d716a845b2f47c1907de01825ff6e5--country-stores.jpg (736x736, 118K)

I like eating sardines in oil on crispy, well browned rye toast with a little thinly sliced red onion and black pepper. It's the perfect combo of crunchy carb, oily fish, and acidic/sharp veggie. You could add thinly sliced tomatoes as well

Skip the ones in water

OP if you thought deenz were a bit bland you'll enjoy kippers a lot more...i have personally been converted away from sardines and fully embrace herring, kippers, any smoked fatty fish basically. i agree, sardines get a little boring after a while. they just lack that OOOMF that smoked herring bring to the table.

this user gets it
never ever get any canned fish in water, in rapeseed oil, or in soybean, it just doesn't taste good.

ONLY go for the olive oil or sunflower oil. if you don't believe me go test it yourself. i seriously fucking hate rapeseed and soybean oil, 100%. and it's not because of the soyboy memes. these oils degrade the fish and make them mushy.

add some harissa or any spicy hot sauce if you enjoy hot taste. seriously. alternatively, for heat without red peppers, hit your fish with some horseradish. stronk mustard also works. you're welcome

in my experience, beach cliff is shit. the rest are great.

Do sardines have the bones removed? Do you just crunch through them?

They're soft enough that you just eat them along with everything else. Unless you're really looking for them you won't even notice they're there.

yes, you can just eat them they are super soft. i'm not joking. they are fully cooked and tiny fish. if you are afraid of bones and don't believe me, go buy the boneless type you faggot.

The texture is sort of like semi-hard candy, I guess. There might be a little bit of "crunchiness" when you eat a bigger bone like a spine or something. It's sort of crunchy like eating a potato chip and it kind of melts away when you get it in your mouth.

It's not like they stick you in your mouth or anything like that, if you can eat tuna out of a can than you can eat deenz no problem.

Mustard sauce and Louisiana hot sauce are tied for the top spot. Hot green chiles are also pretty good.

>cheap deenz on sale this week
>another store clearing their entire kipper inventory due to low sales
>got some coupons for king oscar
What a time to be alive

they should just pay some deenz boys to walk the aisles discussing the nutritional benefits of kippers and deens, niggas will trip over each other trying to get their hands on some

Flaked sardines over sofritto roasted bellpepper and cheese with eggs cracked on top in oven. Good times breakfast sardines on toast.

Just got some King Oscar ones in olive oil, figured I'd give these a whirl. No idea how to eat them though, I've got crackers and fresh bread, any suggestions?

Are these available where you are?

I'm buying the at an import shop right now, but can you get them in America? Or, what other deenz in spicy sauce would you recommend?

Attached: 5010904002012.jpg (600x600, 82K)

Avocado toast + deenz is goat. Or on toast with an egg. Or on toast with hot sauce.

Ok, I just bought pic related. Let's see how it goes.

Attached: 81AAGznnplL.jpg (1720x1272, 394K)

Shocking lack of pic related in this thread. They're so fucking good bros, and they're on sale at my local grocer, and they never go bad. Is this a test God?

Attached: kipper-snacks.jpg (768x512, 86K)

OH GODDAMN I'M FUCKIN' WIT DEEZ DEENZ NIIIIIIIGGA

Attached: 1013bb895c9b30ae086d6d0e93b9595f.jpg (383x500, 26K)

Whats the next step after deenz? I've tried many, but I want to know what the advanced level is
Also deenz avocado toast is heavenly

Do I sear the deenz in a pan before I eat/use them?

Do deenz go well in a salad? Might try it for lunch tomorrow.

>mfw that fish stink when you pull the top open

Attached: tumblr_oj6353Tzkg1ui2rr4o1_1280.jpg (985x1200, 246K)

They'd taste best with a light dressing like with oil & vinegar or Greek.

Sardines are for kids,user.
Grow up and get you some herrings instead. I recommend Snider's lunch herring or Aldi canned herring in mango pepper or tomato sauce.

>tfw roommates hate deens and their smell but i dgaf
Deens are great.

Attached: 1503467253345.jpg (958x960, 44K)

Too fatty.

I usually get 15 cans. 5 cans of King Oscar Mediterranean Style Sardines, 5 cans of Season Skinless and Boneless Sardines in Olive Oil, and 5 cans of King Oscar Mackerel in Olive Oil.

One can a day at least.

One can a day keep doc away

Attached: g.jpg (1853x2814, 861K)

kippers are good but I love the crunchy little deen bones

If you liked them on saltines try them on triscuits.

Goto snack.

oh god I love triscuits

Attached: goudatriscuit-01.jpg (500x570, 122K)

So it seems like the best way to eat them is with crackers?

I tried mashing them up and eating them with toast (like tuna) but it just didnt taste as well as I'd hope

Best way to eat them is straight out of the can. Anyone who says otherwise is a homosexual.

second best way to eat them is on a fresh lettuce leaf and tobasco hot sauce

>tobasco
I see this a lot on here.
Is it a regional spelling?

Dagon worshippers pls go

I mean more like are deenz a low calorie food.

High in sodium. Other than that it's just the mercury poisoning you have to worry about.

Sardines are very low in mercury compared to larger fish like tuna (0.013ppm vs 0.126ppm). Since the FDA recommends not eat more than 12 oz of tuna a week, or about 3 cans, and sardines have about 1/10 of the mercury, it seems most people should be able to safely eat up to 30 cans a week

fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/metals/ucm115644.htm

The salt is a problem for me but I eat Season brand with no salt added because they're the only brand in my area that offers low sodium

I dropped a can of deenz behind a shelf without noticing and they landed on a heat vent and stayed there for a few days. Are they still good if they've been heated and cooled over and over?

well, if you don't like smokey taste, you're probably not going to enjoy smoked products

This, I like making a little romaine wrap with sardines, hot sauce and a strong cheese.

How have you never had sardines before? Are you 12? Hell, even by 12 you should have had sardines at some point. Fucking donkey.

i did the same with my mackerel and i didn't get sick

I got into the deenz life 4 months ago... This is my first day on Veeky Forums. Soon, others will know the way of the deenz. Sometimes when I go to the dollar store someone hs already bought everything in the shelf... don't be fooled y'all.

Side note: as a source of protein, eggs is cheaper.

P.S. I got into the smoked herring life also, the problem is that they taste too good, i am usually not satisfied until i've eaten 3 cans (3 dollars worth)

Thank you /deenz/. Currently trying out my first tin from a local hippe co op store with some meme hot sauce. They taste great!

Attached: 20180315_153426.jpg (3264x2448, 2.4M)

I've been eating salad with chicken for lunch for almost a year.

I can't believe it took me so long to try this.

Attached: _20180316_082150.jpg (3273x2080, 1.82M)

What is the /deenz/ opinion of smoked oysters, smoked clams, smoked mussels, and canned octopus and squid in their own ink?

Attached: S3700479.jpg (1600x1200, 268K)

> Deenz with hot sauce

This guy fucking gets it.

Agreed. The first deenz I tried were packed in chili sauce, and I liked them just fine. I tried a bunch more in oil, water, mustard, and Mediterranean, and realized that the chili sauce was best for me anyway. I'd just add hot sauce to the others, so why complicate things?

this canned herring is really good, so is the one in hot sauce

Attached: yum.jpg (600x295, 34K)

Any Dutchies here by any chance? Where can i get a lot of canned fish cheap? I don't mind buying in bulk. Best alternative i have right now is the Makro, but i don't have the pass so i join a friend of mine instead.

I love anchovies straight up, just put them on a thick cracker such as knackerbrod (crispbread).

Yes, they are very nutritious and filling but refrain from eating the ones in oil and sauce, only go with the ones in water. It's less tasty, but if you want to lose weight, it's the best way to go.

I could be wrong, as i never had it, but i THINK that soybean is ok too, but i can't say for certain.

If you're on a keto diet, you should take the fatty ones. I came to love canned fish when i was on a keto diet, as it is low in carbs but high in fat and it has many nutrients that are necessary for keeping a healthy keto diet. (unless you like being tired all the time or, in the worst case, get the keto flu) Still, i had to avoid the ones in tomato sauce due to the high amount of sugar, but a can of tomato puree can be added for taste.

You can do so, but i always eat them straight up.

Deenz in salad is 10/10. Do it my nigga. I sometimes wrap it up in leaf lettuce and fill it with olives and sundried tomatoes. Great food for lunch or a hefty snack.

It's canned dude, no worries.

Absolutely delicious.

>when i was on a keto diet
What are you doing now?

Mustard is great.
Olive oil deenz are the true patrician's choice

They are all excellent, especially the squid in ink

Used to be a lot fatter than i was rn, used to live a more sedentary lifestyle too. I don't need to lose weight, just need to keep it as-is. I also go to the gym once or twice a week and go climbing once a week. I also work a modestly physically demanding job so that gets me going too.

Good deals

I would say yes, but I wouldn't make deenz my only source of protein. I would treat it as a pseudo supplement where I can get good omega 3's and a decent amount of protein.
Then again it would all depend on what you're trying to do. Fish in general is great for losing weight while hitting protein goals.

If any deenz bros want to try a recipe from preserved fish, i recommend to make some Korean stirfried dried anchovy side dish or myeolchi-bokkeum made with dried anchovies. I had some made with maple syrup. They are crunchy, sweet, spicy and delicious.

Attached: IMG_1227.jpg (1600x1200, 582K)

Any one here still find deenz in a pouch? I used to eat this brand all the time and it was convenient for on the go I would sometimes just mash the package up with whatever sauce was in it and eat it with a spoon. Everyone on the school bus would always wonder what the fuck smelled so raunchy. But six years later I'm looking for them and I can't find them at any of my grocery stores

Attached: 6030288637_d959ccdbc1.jpg (500x391, 93K)

it looks yum, probably easier to package than putting deens in a can by hand.

If you are still here, please post a recipe for this, DEFINITELY interested. Sounds scrum-diddly-umcious

anyway, I'm about to feast on pic related Townhouse with Beach Cliff herrings sprinkled with lemon pepper and celery salt. Life is good lads, enjoy the little things.

I really like these for the price point

never tried squid in their own ink...wow, I am definitely looking forward to that though.
The smoked oysters, clams and mussels are all very very good. If you get tired of eating them straight or on crackers, drain them and put them on a pizza - so, so good.!

jealous. Enjoy!

deenz and kips are very low mercury, on account of them being low on the food chain. no need to worry!

Attached: deenz.jpg (4096x3072, 2.95M)

>If you are still here, please post a recipe for this, DEFINITELY interested.
I wish I could give you the recipe, the ones I had were homemade, crunchy and made with maple syrup instead of sugar I guess. Many of these recipes they say aren't crunchy or they say if you want them crunchy cook them longer. Maangchi gets a lot of praise for her recipes

maangchi.com/recipe/myulchibokkeum

I'm not sure how it will turn out, but I recommend making them as crispy as possible. They will last 2 weeks in the fridge.

me again, how the heck does anchovies go with maple syrup?

anywho, thank for the link, I'lll try it out.

Heading to HEB, anything to look out for in the deenz aisle?

W2c sauce, looks good (in Texas)

>how the heck does anchovies go with maple syrup
That was my same question I mentally asked myself when my korean friends offered me the anchovies, but I tried them and honestly, they were the best anchovies I ever ate and I told them so. They were surprised but from what I tasted they fit an American's tastebuds more than any other anchovy. The normal recipes call for sugar but I guess they substituted it for maple syrup, with great results.

>sugar
>fit an American's tastebuds more than any other

somehow I'm not surprised

Will definitely substitute maple syrup for sugar oh yeah