What are some good books on Cooking?

Keep in mind that I'm a complete beginner, so introductory book recommendations would be nice as well as more advanced ones that I can read later after getting the hang of it.

I also have a special interest in italian, french and japanese cuisine, especially the first, any recommendations on those would also be appreciated.

Sweet Jesus that pasta looks tasty.
>t. italianfag

Go to Veeky Forums, they know this stuff better than we do.

Why don't people understand the difference between literature and "lol just any books"?

I asked for cookbooks there once and my thread died without answers. The fags there are so lazy that they didn't even have a chart for those kinds of books. Maybe we should create one for them.

Bob Dylan is literature, he won the Nobel Prize. Cooking books are literature.

Meaning of Literature:
>Wikipedia - Literature, in its broadest sense, is any single body of written works.
>Merriam-Webster - writings in prose or verse; especially :writings having excellence of form or expression and expressing ideas of permanent or universal interest
>Oxford Dictionaries - Books and writings published on a particular subject.
>Collins Dictionaries - Literature is written information produced by people who want to sell you something or give you advice; written or printed matter of a particular type or on a particular subject.

>stwg
Deipnosophistae
>just teach me cook stuff
The New McCalls Cook Book, 1967 or so
I'd also recommend a Jamie Oliver book just because that's even more simplified than the McCalls book

Couldn't find McCall's book for download.

Anyone knows about the How to Cook Everything series? There's one all about the basics.

What about Julia Child? That's some classic cooking Veeky Forums right there.

If you're a beginner, start with YouTube videos that focus on basic skills and techniques. When you're a decent cook look for books released by reputable restaurants that are specifically aimed at higher skillsets

Jacques Pépin - New Complete Techniques
Harold McGee - On Food and Cooking

The first is what it sounds like, the second is a reference book on the science part

i've never read her but i recall jg ballard praising elizabeth david in an interview of his.

Those are great, thanks a lot, do you know any more like those two?

Good cookbooks are absolutely literature. Naysayers and thread-deleting mods fuck off.

Good thread OP. Pic related is from my cooking shelf. I've included some photos from my favorites and commentary. Maybe Veeky Forums can use it as well. I'm sure it's not "molecular" enough for them. Faggots.

The soyboy handbook

t. a soyboy

>Veeky Forums
>knowing about cooking
>knowing what molecular cuisine means
Have you faggots been there once? It's like 2 people who cook professionally, 5 guys who want to put together something cool for once, 50 poltards discussing xenoestrogens and 5000 retards namedropping shitty american beers and discussing which fastfood chain is better.

Amazing chart, thanks a lot, do you know anything good on italian cuisine?

I'm sorry for every user who has posted in this thread, but pic related is objectively the greatest book on food and cooking ever written.

Salt Fat Acid Heat

Thanks. Not really. Check out the book Heat, if you haven't already. The author works as a prep slave in a kitchen, then fucks off to the Italian countryside and imitates Batali's total immersion method of learning authentic methods and recipes.

Other than that I can only tell you the importance of making your own pasta sauce cannot be overstated and don't forget to leave a little pasta water on the noodles. Go to youtube and look for episodes of Molto Mario from the 1990s.

>americans will never pronounce Hegel correct

>europoors will never pronounce bagel correct
If it doesn't rhyme with Hegel, you've fucked up.

>written by an aristocrat, not a chef
>does not include measures
>makes the book about himself rather than the recipes
>greatest book

Hmmm.

Get The Food Lab by Lopez-Alt. The recipes are good, it's very wide-ranging so it covers all necessary bases, it generally doesn't use any crazy techniques so it's good for beginners, and also it's fairly cheap.

those are unironically lamer than guy fieri's style

That's exactly why it's great.

And it contains 790 recipes.