Unknown philosophers thread

>mfw reading the philosophy of Lessing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7e5nR83cNCA
johnpollock.us/ftp/OSCAR-web-page/CODE/OSCAR-loader.lisp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He's hardly unknown, just not as a philosopher.

Kierkegaard and Nietzsche quote/reference Lessing from time to time, is he worth reading?

jean marie guyau

tl;dr french nietzsche except more science-y

Lessing is best known as a playwright. Try Nathan the Wise.

If by unknown you mean under-read then yes

I've never seen Lev Shestov spoken of around here

is that carpentry man? or was that a different Pollock?

That's him, and yeah cognitive carpentry is the explanation of his OSCAR system

youtu.be/7e5nR83cNCA

I've heard of and looked into Pollock, I'm also a student of the 60s/70s style of AI he's coming from with this, this project specifically addresses the Frame Problem a bit better than the standard jab at it

It works really well as a human assistant, Expert Systems are a form of AI popular during the 80s and used now in finance and diagnosis systems to do complex tasks

However perhaps this project also highlights one of the issues of GAI, in that rational agents by themselves aren't very useful or smart

much of what allows humans to function as well as they do now is environmental luck and ability to interact with the environment

so what then of the abilities of an embodied OSCAR? (throwing some nerves, a giant NN system, and appendages/sensory organs onto a automated reasoner system): eventually it'll figure out a bunch of stuff and probably be more interested in how the world works, it might ask for more computational resources to process it until we go bankrupt on rare earth minerals, or better yet it might try to figure our social cues or some biophysical/metaphysical truths yet unkown to humans, neuroscientists have found creativity is a sort of internal hallucination so even forming new concepts would require extracting symbolic roots from subsymbolic stimula

one of the results of GAI might just be that we are helpless even with godlike reasoning and processing systems, and forever at the mercy of material ignorance/Cthulu or whatever

another thing I'll say about GAI is that human intellect is pretty useless in a void, most good things come from collective interaction and cultural intelligence passed on, there are many people who would be idiots were it not for their ability to read from our millenia of written tradition, and most systems that benefit humankind, civilization, agriculture, medicine, plumbing, etc, sprang up ad-hoc rather than through rigorous reaoning

I got about 100 pages into potestas clavium but stopped because it was insufferable. It may just be that the translation was bad.

>johnpollock.us/ftp/OSCAR-web-page/CODE/OSCAR-loader.lisp

>#| This defines a function in the ordinary way, but also keeps a record of
>its arglist and definition on the property list of the function name. When
.definitions are changed, a record of the changes is kept in *old-definitions*. |#
>(defmacro defunction (fun arg &rest body) ...

what a useful macro

Hegel ofc

Is he good? A friend's friend left the country and left his books to be donated, I got two by this guy who seem uncracked, one about religion, have no idea about the other

Henri Bergson is dangerously underappreciated on here.

Jordan B. Peterson
Christopher Hitchens
Slavoj Zizek
Otto Weininger
Giovanni Gentile

Stop it

Ralph Cudworth

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on this board who has read Raimond Gaita.

big ups to my platonic female scholars holding it down in C-Wallmart: Lear, Fine, Nussbaum, yeah girl you know i gotchu. we stay eatin', kee-yad

think again

Oh have you actually? What do you think of him?

I'm not sure if he is unknown but I never see him spoken of on Veeky Forums even though I feel like he'd be up a lot of you fella's alley (if'n you're the type to enjoy some Nietzsche, for example, or are otherwise pessimistic generally).

Anyway, I like him but i'm no galaxy brain pretender like you fellas.

his father had a tragic life. i disagree with his care ethics. not hugely impressed one way or the other, sorry to say. what do you like about him?

I like that he emphasises the "mysteriousness" of life. That the way to live a good life is to treat existence as a mystery, as the religions do. What is your issue with his care ethics? Do you find him overly sentimental? I've heard that criticism often.

I don't trust ugly philosophers

i read a post on here that said, "my willingness to accept a philosopher goes about as far as my willingness to share a bathtub with them." sorry, foucault