Oh, fuck, I suddenly think I get one of the things Joyce is going for in Ulysses

Oh, fuck, I suddenly think I get one of the things Joyce is going for in Ulysses.

Bloom and Stephen are always being defined in ways that don't quite fit, right? Like, Bloom is a Jew, only he's not actually a Jew. Stephen is a writer, only he's not actually a writer. Bloom is a cuck, only he's not actually a cuck. Stephen is a bad son, only he's not actually a bad son. On and on.

The book is about trying to grasp the thing-in-itself, isn't it? Not just Bloom and Stephen as characters, but Ulysses, the whole book, presents us with these hints and elements that tempt us to define and categorize it all into one thing or another, but it never actually fits into any of those categories neatly. It just is its own thing, and we have to grasp that in its wholeness without trying to subdivide.

I think.

actually mate, it's just about handjobs

It will infect your soul. Allusions of allusions that run deep as fuck. Truly the GOAT book.

should i read Ulysses or Infinite Jest first?
also, which is more torturous?

Well, one of those books was written by a genius. One of them was written by David Foster Wallace. There's a choice there, but it's not a difficult one.

Ulysses is harder to read. Infinite Jest is just long.

well i have been reading for many hours, daily, for at least 6 months now, for the first time in my life, so i'm starting to get into longer more difficult works. having said that, i still don't feel worthy of tackling something held in such high esteem as Ulysses quite yet, so i'll jump into IJ and view it as a pacing mechanism of sorts

This is easily the deepest piece of art ever created by man. I know it sounds like shitposting but I mean it. Listen to Frank Delaney's "Re: Joyce" podcast where Delaney (truly a world-class literature authority) spends several days dissecting EACH INDIVIDUAL SENTENCE of Ulysses. Plus I can listen to Frank Delaney talk forever.

RIP Frank Delaney. And RIP James Joyce, I'll sniff my lady's asshole once for you tonight, my hero.

James Joyce = Jackson Pollack

Can you recommend one of the re:Joyce podcasts? I remember listening to an early one where he glosses the use of the word "coarsely" as being included because it uses "arse", which is funny, but didn't strike me as particularly significant -- he didn't contextualize it at all.

Wait, what? Bloom wasn't a jew?

Joyce wanted art, and farts

He was a jew by lineage but wasn't practicing, he feels guilt for this throughout the novel.

google it faggot. there's a youtube playlist with each of the hundreds 5-10 minute podcasts compiled into 5 several-hour-long youtube videos

Kek. That's it. Keep it up, guys. Get the newfags to read this """masterpiece""".

he was a far hungarian jew, so his jewishness was washed out.

I think OP is refering to the discussion at a tavern, where Bloom talks about ecology and possible improvements to breeding, and some of the guys dismiss his ideas because he's obviously just a jew trying to get profit

There are better points to jump into difficult works.

>knowing for sure that your wife is cheating you and still doing nothing about it is not being actually a cuck
>not accepting to please your mother on her deathbed by simply kneeling is not being actually a bad son

Also, you hardly described the ultimate meaning behind the book, only given it a characterization.

>>he doesnt know the meaning of ulysses

Lol, if I remember correctly Bloom was fucking chased out of the pub after that whole tirade, too. It was the Citizen, I believe

Fuck you. I've listened to the first dozen or so and found then more unsatisfying than Molly did bloom. I asked for the best ones, any reccs?

soz user, but I think thats a conspiracy theory

itt: someone attempts to say something about ulysses

everyone else ( ) posts equivalent to harry potter fanboyism

dear, Veeky Forums,

ur fukin retarded

sincerely,
fuk u

They're not even up to comparison except for the fact that they're both long and memed on Veeky Forums.

>t. I couldn't enjoy Ulysses so no one can

fuck off faggot

>t. I couldn't enjoy Harry Potter so no one can

fuck off faggot

Ulysses is interesting because it consistently shifts styles throughout rather than fastening onto one device and sticking with (like Woolf did in the Years for example).
Much of the point of Ulysses is now everyday events and the mundane can wear different aspects according to different perspectives. Some of those perspectives are emboded by characters in the narrative proper, others belong to disembodied, ironic narrators that reflect larger bodies such as nations, religions and even the history of the english language itself.

i legit thought IJ was harder to read. DFW's prose is boring way more often.

Jackson Pollack just splattered paint all over the canvas and got called genius, you dolt.

SNAPE WASNT EVIL!!!!!

The Citizen was so fucking based.