Look, let's face it Veeky Forums. You need to be NEET, either literally or mentally, to write a great novel...

Look, let's face it Veeky Forums. You need to be NEET, either literally or mentally, to write a great novel. If you "love your career" or "enjoy your work" you are a lost cause and deserve nothing less than pity and derision. If you see writing as a "potential" future you lack commitment and are unworthy of any reward in that field. If you are writing because you think it's "cool" you will never make it. If employment is inflicted upon you, which it often is, then you must stubbornly retain the NEET mentality and remain discontented and unhappy while suffering your daily employment. Any happiness or contentment in said work means you are a sell-out, a fake, a phony and once again a lost cause.

As Nietzsche said, "A man's maturity [...] is to have rediscovered the seriousness he possessed as a child at play", and what is a NEET but a child-like individual preferring idleness, play and curiosity over submission, enforced routine and acquiescence to an ideology and a state of external affairs that you are forced to respect and participate in. Maturity is a hollow ambition. Financial success is a disgusting way of evaluating your life. The conquest of females is the recreation of callous brutes. True intellectuals like myself, destined for literary success, reject these foul ideologies, these inherited myths and means of sacrificing the isolated but proud self to the secure but stolid community, and we strive for greater heights, even though we may reach them alone and unaided, and though the mob below may jeer us as we scale peaks beyond their comprehension.

Other urls found in this thread:

houellebecq.info/popdivers.php?id=13
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nice. NEET and proud.

I didn't choose the NEET life the NEET life chose me

Fourthed.

They hate us because they anus

As an autistic, narcissistic NEET myself I fully comprehend the type of individual being discussed when I see the word Hikikomori, NEET etc. In that sense I am something of a visionary / seer myself, five steps ahead of my contemporaries and dismissed by them as a valid human being on account of my wisdom and prescience.

Dont think youre autistic dude.

Disagree. A lot of famous writers wrote theit books while in education or shortly after.

I am.

Examples?

Basically if you invest too much time and energy into anything unrelated to literature, that is a field which is quite specialized and becomes the main focus of your mental energy, then you are a lost cause. Bukowski did child's work at a post office and other places. Donald Ray Pollock drove trucks, which again doesn't demand much mental focus.

Your brain actually changes physically and remoulds itself according to the demands placed upon it by the external world. It's why someone can't "suddenly decide" to become a novelist. Unless you are routinely encouraging your brain (and the subconscious it contains) to digest information FOR THE SPECIFIC REASON of using it in your writing, and unless the main focus of your attention and thoughts are creative writing, then you are basically allowing that writing to become irrelevant, and your subconscious (which is very very important when writing) will focus its energies on web development or biochemistry or whatever autistic STEM subject you robotically attach yourself to for the sake of monetary reward and / or the prospect of sexual conquest. Personally, as a pale, narcissistic, ascetic, hermetic NEET with zero friends and next to no life experience, my own writing is profound and entertaining and interesting largely due to my stubbornness in resisting the "world of work" and in focusing my mental energies instead on cultivating a genius-like mind, both in the sense of focusing the majority of my conscious thoughts on my writing and in allowing my subconscious to assist me in producing a great work of art and thirdly in allowing my brain itself to allow the blood and the electronic signals to flow around those areas of my brain which assist the creative.

How do you socialize if you’re always home?

How to eat, pay rent, buy paper

amen brother

Get on SSI. I'm 35 and never worked a day in my life after being diagnosed with social anxiety and depression.

>That said, survival is extremely difficult. One could consider adopting what could be called Pessoa’s strategy: find a little job, publish nothing, and await death peacefully. In practice, one would be going forward to meet significant difficulties: the feeling that one is wasting one’s time, that one is not in one’s place, that one is not being esteemed at one’s true value. . . All this would rapidly become unbearable. Drinking would be difficult to avoid. In the end, bitterness and acrimony would lie in wait at the end of the road, soon to be followed by apathy and irreversible creative sterility.
>This solution, then, has its disadvantages, but it is generally the only one. Do not forget psychiatrists, who have at their disposal the power to grant sick-leave. However, a prolonged stay at a psychiatric hospital is to be proscribed: too destructive. One should use this only as a last resort, as an alternative to destitution. The mechanisms of the welfare state (unemployment payments, etc.) should be taken full advantage of, as well as the financial support of friends who are better off. Do not cultivate excessive guilt with regard to this. The poet is a sacred parasite.
>The poet is a sacred parasite: like the scarabs of ancient Egypt, he can thrive upon the body of wealthy societies in a state of decay. Yet he also has his place at the heart of frugal and strong societies.
> You do not have to fight. Boxers fight, not poets. All the same, it is necessary to publish a little bit; this is a necessary condition for posthumous recognition to take place. If you do not publish a certain minimal amount (be it only a handful of texts in some second-rate review), you will go unnoticed by posterity—just as unnoticed as you were during your life. Even the most perfect genius must leave behind a trace; leave it to the literary archaeologists to exhume the rest.
>This can fail; it often fails. You should repeat to yourself at least once a day that the important thing is to do your best.
>Studying the biographies of your favorite poets may be useful to you; this may permit you to avoid certain errors. Never forget that as a general rule, there is no good solution to the problem of material survival, although there are many very bad ones.

Im not saying its impossible, but some higher studies in literature go a long way man

i want to blow your brains out with a shotgun

>Examples?

not that user and its not education but:

William Blake worked full-time as an engraver while producing his works

Leo Tolstoy had 10 kids while writing War & Peace

John Williams wrote Stoner while teaching full-time as a professor

those are just off the top of my head

you're simply using jobs as an excuse to not reach your full potential, you attack capitalism only because it teaches that you must earn a living, not have it given to you

user.. easy on the wage rage

Those authors are a small minority. And who is the one wasting their potential working a meaningless job while you could be spending your time reading, studying and producing the highest aesthetic experiences the human species has to offer. You should probably go to bed soon, you don't want to sleep in for work tomorrow.

Jealousy and resentment is unbecoming

>Leo Tolstoy had 10 kids
So? I doubt he looked after them. His wife did, unless he was really progressive beyond muh pacifism.

tolstoy was a deadbeat trustfund kid, fucking your serfs isn't a job

You raise 10 kids at once and tell me how much free time you have.

>reading
Alright
>studying
That's fair, more time is good
>producing
But user... Where are your works of art? Are you working on the Great American Novel as we speak, or are you only consuming and speaking atop a pedestal, as if your excess consumption matters?

you're right, those ones were the rare minority of the majority of literary legends that earned their living by writing books instead of living off of welfare. just because they weren't carpenters and soldiers doesn't mean they were worthless NEETs like you, they still were under the gun all the time by their publishers to produce quality material. in other words, work!

i don't know where you're going with this

El oh fucking el Norman. Don't project your own artistic insecurities onto me. I've already written two novellas, and am working on a longer semi-autobiographical piece right now.

how can you read literature and still buy into the 'worth' meme?

I'm saying his wife was doing the rearing, changing nappies, etc., you fucking idiot. Learn how to read before you reply. Men of his time barely saw their children, especially if they were fucking landed nobles like he was. He probably had maids or nurses to do the parenting.

Well? Where are those novellas? Have they won any awards? Are they self-published?

What? Now you're looking to see if I've been validated by the academia-media-publishing-industrial complex? Im sorry, I don't write because I have some fantasy about being an "artist. My works
will be read as an elegy and will be appreciated posthumously by the remaining few literate people of the western world, and that is good enough for me.

10/10 this punchline was worth it

I am a NEET but I will soon start a job. It's been two months since I was hired but I have yet to start because of retardation at the headquarters. Probably starting tomorrow. It's third shift cleaning a mall so I can at least be by myself mostly and listen to audiobooks or music.

I'll miss NEETdom, though. It's been ten years since I had a job and I will miss the freedom, I think. I don't own much or want much so it wasn't suffering to me. There was boredom when I'd get tired of reading or something similar, but I did enjoy not being beholden to anyone. Family support is nice too.

Neets are the modern philosophers

why are you joining the workforce?

thank you for serving

Pressure from outside forces and a slight desire to make a bit of money to help around the house with stuff. Plus, I do actually want a few things that I need money to get. My neighbour had actually asked if anyone we knew needed a job a few months ago so I kind of want to see what working in an "official job" is like. It'll be a learning experience, you know? A relaxed one.

Not to mention Tolstoy retreated to his parents' estate in order to write. He was a literal NEET that lived at his parents' house.

The best part of having a rewarding career is that I can come home after work and relax with a novel that some broke neet savant page-slave wrote for me.

You are acknowledging his work, nice.

>John Kennedy Toole was a NEET who lived with his mummy when he wrote (the majority of) A Confederacy of Dunces
>Yukio Mishima was a NEET who lived with his mummy when he wrote Confessions of a Mask
>F. Scott Fitzgerald was a NEET who lived with his mummy when he wrote This Side of Paradise
>Orhan Pamuk was a NEET who lived with his mummy when he wrote My Name is Red
>Tao Lin was a NEET who lived with his mummy when he wrote you are a little bit happier than i am / Bed / Eeeee Eee Eeee
>H.P. Lovecraft was a NEET who lived with his mummy when he wrote the Ctulhu Mythos and various other famous stories
>Jack Kerouac was a NEET who lived with his mummy when he wrote The Sea is My Brother / The Town and the Country / On The Road (the edited final version)
>Jorge Luis Borges was a NEET who lived with his mummy when he wrote Fervor de Buenos Aires and the rest of his published works

Why are NEETs so superior lads?

godspeed sir sounds like we're losing a good one

HPL's mom made him dress like a girl. Are you into that?

That was the social norm at the time

I will attempt to continue my NEETdom in spirit, friend. I still live with my family. I don't have a car. I don't really have anything successful people have at my age (27). I still want to kill myself, to be honest. I'm tired.

I mean I'm not saying yes, but I'm not saying no either.

No homosapien

Honey, if I could be a NEET without repercussions I would. Sadly I need to simply work to survive. I have no recourse. I cannot in good conscious be dependent upon anyone. I choose to earn my bread by the sweat of my brow and channel that same soul-crushing monotony into my writing. Extreme realism, a realism that captures how shitty it is to be alive is the best writing around. A writing that tells the struggles of life but also the internal sense of pride that can be achieved by paying your way and owing nothing to anyone.

Not being high born, or immoral, I cannot live as you do my friend. I can only live the life of a modern starving writer. One where you slave away for bread crumbs and write with leather hands.

No one will read anything I publish, but I wasn't in it for the money....I was in it to fuck with rupi kaur and by god, I will parody her 'books' and piss on her whenever possible.

>page-slave
kek

>not being on the dole for autism
>not living in a cozy council bedsit flat
>not waking at 9am and sitting in the armchair by the window watching the wagecucks shuffling towards the bus stop
>not sipping hot chocolate and listening to Bread, Todd Rundgren and Big Star while contemplating which book to read that day
>not spending the majority of your day listening to the rain falling outside while working on your masterpiece
>not blowing on the tomato soup until it's cold and then eating it and feeling a nice feeling in your tummy
>not taking a long bath with some candles lit nearby
>not taking a long walk in the evening through the dark and rainy streets feeling like a Dostoevsky character

If you aren't NEET in 2017 you really are a sorry excuse for a "human being"

Listen here you cromagnam. I've been fucking t-rexs and committing infanticide before you were even conceived.
Do you want to fucking go mate? Huh?
Which one of us has three accounts of breaking and entering?
I will fucking end you sunny!
You, me, and two fucking clubs 1v1 one faggot. Will see who fucking wins!
I bet you'll be on your knees praying to the fucking forest spirit for mercy before I'm done with you!
But there will be no forest spirit in the cave, just me and my fucking dung club!
I will rape you and eat you faggot!
I will make you wear loin cloths and make fires for me while I pound your soft boi pussy every night.
Don't fuck with me mate!

Hey buddy, I think you’ve got the wrong door, the leather club’s two blocks down

I am a NEET. There is not a single ounce of discipline, passion or desire for self-improvement that flows through my body. I have a fairly simple rule I follow in everyday life: when I fail at something, I never try it again. The total number of friends I have had can be counted on one hand. Too lazy to do any (even simple) assignments in highschool, I dropped out on my senior year. My parents still hope that I can improve, so they recommended going to a trade school. I know trade schools aren't what they're hyped up to be, so I won't. Sometimes I amuse myself with futile attempts to not be a waste of space. They don't amount to anything. Throw any insult and I will spontaneously agree with you. Not out of self-hatred, but because I am perfectly content with what I am.

>wake up after 9 hours of sleep on a Monday morning
>turn on some JS Bach
>masturbate to your waifu
>make myself a nice breakfast
>continue reading my book about the history of modern art
>go on a walk later in the day and watch a film by Chantal Akerman

Why are you still a slave to the system?

ive been neet and ive also been a worker slave doing hard manual labor to the point where i ruined my knees.

I hate both. When im neet I have no drive to do anything productive, when im a worker slave I have no freetime to do anything productive.

I think the final solution is a gun in my mouth.

>I think the final solution is a gun in my mouth.
I recommend lifting weights.

I lifted lots of heavy stuff at my job weighing up to 100+ pounds for 10 hour days. I didn't have energy to go lift weights afterwards + I lived too far from gym.

Surprisingly close to my days

Kafka was a bank clerk

A bank clerk who became so disheartened by full-time work that he negotiated a reduced working day and worked from 8am to 1pm and usually (as his coworkers attest) turned up late and left early. Kafka would have been a NEET 100% if he were able to, he said the only thing he wanted to do was write.

>not just working part time

Full time is for chumps

I'm 31 and had/have depression/ocd, never got along with my parents, and am pretty much unemployable. I do not care much for money since I am on gibmedats. I live in LA and have ventured out of my neighborhood to Hollywood where I have seen people dress up as characters and pose for tips. I have done this myself, and though I don't quite have the personality for it, have managed to make some money. It pays cash, allows you to set your own hours, and you don't have to talk to anyone you don't want to. I have also participated in clinical trials, which pay about $250 a day. I do not feel particularly motivated by money, other than it's function in aiding my survival. I am not happy in LA and would like to move to Las Vegas and live out of a storage unit while working as a costumed character. However, I feel that perhaps my time in LA is not done yet and there is something that I need to learn/experience before I go. I don't like living under my mom's roof and my neighborhood sucks. It seems like it should be an easy decision but there is something holding me back. I have been homeless before so I don't know what it is. I also plan on living OUT of it not In it, i.e. keeping my stuff there and spending the day in libraries, malls, etc.

WRONG

He worked at an insurance company from 8am until 2pm. His co-workers claimed he was always at least 15 minutes late and usually left early. He wrote several resignation letters and left them on his boss's desk only to return the next day and beg to be allowed to remain employed there.

The meme of Kafka as an over-worked office clerk is stupid.

NEETdom is very similar to being a hermit. Hermits rarely write books and are often hostile towards those who try and use their isolation as means of generating marketable wisdom (TM). There is nothing wrong with not wanting to "improve" if you're a comfy NEET.

I would go back to being a NEET if it wasn't a permanent choice. If you become a NEET you really can't bounce back from it, you're stuck there forever.

you can work part time to feel like a normie form time to time

Dear NEET/Hikikomori: you do KNOW your families abhorre you, right? Your neighbors probably mention that "weird loser who doesn't leave the house" amusingly during their idle conversations. Besides, no adult woman will ever enter a ltr with a male stay at home fuck-up like you
How can you cope with being the lowest of the low in the social order?

Non of this matters, also I live alone.

It is absolutely false that my mother "abhors" me. In fact, thanks largely due to the convergence of two powerful psychological forces - parental instinct and Stockholm Syndrome - my mother believes perhaps more than I do that I am destined for literary greatness of the kind only distinctly sensitive and profound souls (I, of course, would not use such a term) are capable. The fact she donates a regular supply of alms to me, her "little genius", proves that she is one of the very few women in this world capable of sincere, self-sacrificing devotion to an individual of noumenal quality such as myself and that my refusal to subject myself to daily toil and the misery it inflicts is by no means a source of disappointment to her. As for the much-touted "social order", let me articulate myself as clearly as I am able: No genius has ever succeeded as a consequence of them living in accordance with the prevailing social order of their time. Read that again and consider how applicable such a wise statement is to your own disposition and perspective. Perhaps it is true that in the social order in which the context of my existence must necessarily "take place" in the eyes of those addicted to spaciotemporal classifications, I am indeed the "lowest of the low", an object of pity at best and ridicule at least. Perhaps I would be hated by most people presented with the superficial facts of my life. I make no plea to be treated any less harshly than I am. In fact I welcome the most bitter and hateful accusations capable of being made against me. Because in a morass of moral and existential ambiguity there is one small patch of solid ground on which I plant my one conviction, it being that the great mass of my species have never and may never possess the empathetic, intellectual and ethical capacity to truly appreciate an individual such as myself nor the written work I produce alone, in my lonely, dim and silent room, asking for no reward, demanding no attention, not even requesting that a single person sacrifice their time or mental energy to appreciate the product of my vast, peerless imagination. Members of the purple host such as yourself may indeed cheer and celebrate the multitudinous victories of your life, relish the identity you have taken such pains to construct and maintain. You may smile wider than my own facial muscles allow as you penetrate (or are indeed penetrated by) your many lovers. But remember, each morning as you whistle loudly while strutting to fulfill your nine-hour obligation to the profit-monger under whom you serve, that individuals like myself exist and are at that very moment asleep and dreaming of a world more pure and beautiful than you will ever be capable of appreciating.

>masturbate to your waifu
It takes away your strength and troubles your mind.

Still here then, memoir-chan?

Alright lads, where are your greater literary works?

>Destined for literary greatness.
Your syntax is awful though.

Blake?
Tolstoy?
...and John who?

imbeciles preaching to an audience of rubes

only a NEET knows purity of the soul

Anyone know how to get on the dole in the US? I want to become NEET.

i was waiting for someone to post this, also nice dubz!

t. virgin

>"A man's maturity [...] is to have rediscovered the seriousness he possessed as a child at play"
which of his writings is this in

>NEET with a Degree I'm never using because reasons.
>Draw doodles from the comfort of my computer for a living, USD is so laughably overvalued compared to my currency I barely have to work
>Want to use free time to read the classics
>Slogged through the Illiad and the Odyssey because, as enjoyable as they were, reading in general makes me want to sleep.
>My brain already forgot important plot points about shitty pulp fiction novels I read barely two years ago

I'm never gonna make it, bros. Did I fuck up somewhere along the way?

>If employment is inflicted upon you, which it often is, then you must stubbornly retain the NEET mentality and remain discontented and unhappy while suffering your daily employment.

This is me

I wish I could enjoy work.. but all my interests are generally non-monetary

╔═════════════════ ೋღღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong NEET ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no life ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღღೋ ════════════════╝

"You figured it out, user. You figured it all out.
That's all it means to be a detective savajo. You need to be a nomad, user. Like Belano. Like Arcimboldi. Like me.

Only Ansky's angry immaturity is true."

wtf is this from

Thats all well and good Bolano, but being a nomad in a frozen country is much harder than a country that is always warm

Ignatius, honey, you be good to your mama.

'You did it, Belano. You have finally become Nazi Literature in the Americas'

What a hack

Neet doesn't automatically mean you're friendless.

houellebecq.info/popdivers.php?id=13

Well, lads, I'm NEET for longer now. Didn't get the call to go in to start work today. Maybe they're waiting for the Thanksgiving holiday to be over? I don't know. It's ironic that when I want to work I can't start. Kind of frustrating.

This board needs a /NEET/ general desu.

Discussing books without 'i listen to audiobooks on my commute' wagies is much nicer

Beyond good and evil

Beautiful

I work an extremely low effort public sector job with an inflated job title. I haven't had any work for over two weeks. I go in to the office at 2 pm, check my emails, have a 2 hour lunch break where I drink coffee in my favourite location in London while shitposting on Veeky Forums and then I go back to the office at 4 to 4.30, check my emails, then go home.

Today I read 45 pages of war and peace when I woke up then went to the gym then went to work. When I came back home I ate and then went through some maths exercises and now I'm going to read some more.

I know I will look back on this time as my prime that I should have enjoyed more

Did you get the job in Canary Wharf Londonfrog?

I posted about it elsewhere. No. The whole interview (multiple interviews) was easy but I probably failed due to being ugly and not being a normie with a posh accent

So what's the plan now then? Any more interviews lined up?

Yes but that's not saying much when I need to pass them. And when I actually sat in the office from 9 to 5.30 I may as well have not had a life. I felt like such a cucked little slave. So I should look on the bright side.

I was a NEET for about a year, but the anxiety over my future and guilt over my constant parasitism was too much for me. I've since decided to pursue the Kaczynski lifestyle and reentered wageslavery, but still I aspire to what is ultimately only a more self-reliant form of NEETdom and will always respect my NEET brothers.

Wasn't Ted NEET?