So, who else read "The Metamorphosis", an proceeded to become even more massively depressed...

So, who else read "The Metamorphosis", an proceeded to become even more massively depressed, solidifying the decision to never EVER read anything else written by Kafka?

I bought the Reclam edition of it (in German, "Die Verwandlung") for my girlfriend who wants to learn German. Did I make the right decision for her first work to translate?

something like that
not depressed, but that book felt so oppressing and gross and I can't pinpoint the precise emotions, but definitely freaked me out. I push myself through, but now just seing his name makes me feel repulsed

probably so.
she'll likely feel massively empowered by it

>empowered
I'm not sure what you're inferring, xir, but you seem oddly cynical a girl reads. Is this board full of kissless virgins or something? Why are you resentful that people are reading?

stop posting here, Kafka, you're supposed to be dead

So fucking boring. I get that it is supposed to be that way but god damn.

>you're supposed to be dead
How Kafkaesque.

thanks guys good thread

>kafkaesque
how aristotelian

>depressing

It was funny imo and I'm a melancholicfag also. Same with The trial.

Aristotlean? How Socratic of you. [Aside] I daresay, I was going to tell user it was Platonic, but we all know Aristotle's relationship with Plato, tut.

i don't know man, i'm a fan of dark humor, but this shit was a little too real and a little too dark for me to find even mildly humorous

I dunno why it's such a big deal. It's pretty on the nose about what it's presenting. It's well made, but I otherwise got nothing out of it.

I felt disappointment because I always heard that Metamorphosis was Kafka's greatest work, but I read "Letter to his father" a few years prior, and found it much more enjoyable and touching.

I didn’t become depressed but I feel like people were shit and that’s the reality of every day life. I got a little bit sad desu

well that's just it though, i read literature to escape everyday life, and all this story did was give the illusion of being fantastically fictitious, only to come full circle and bring to me a painstaking reminder than there is certainly nothing more than front-and-center grotesque truth
no sir, seeing now how he mused, I shant be reading another word of Kafka

Quite the opposite. I was depressed, it gave me some solace and I decided to read everything Kafka ever wrote. Got a few good, bitter laughs from it, too.

I read it about 10 years ago as a high school student. It didn't leave much impression on me at the time, in fact I thought it was pointless. Only recently has my depression and self-hatred illuminated the meaning of the book. I now understand the transformation, beginning in the mind, from human being to insect.

I don't, inform me. Were they not separated by thousands of years? Ignorant tool!

It's not his best work, just his most known. Same with the Trial.

The Trial is good; do you not like it in general or do you just think he’s done better stuff? I haven’t read anything else from Kafka so I wouldn’t know about the latter.

story of my life brah

kafka has been my fave author since 17 tho

The Metamorphosis is his most depressing work though. I found ever other to be a bit more on the comical side

you suck

his other stuff isn't as gross. please give it a try, there's a reason he's like the #2 pick for lit PhD candidates behind shakespeare

so is the transformation real or not, i still don't get it guys

It is good. It's just not his best work imo. I would say his short stories are his best work and the Castle was similiar to the Trial, but with an even stronger dose of Kafka in every paragraph. Amerika is probably one of Kafka's most 'fun' reads. It also doesn't get as abstract as his other novels, since it's early Kafka, so i'd say it is generally a better pick for starters and I can't fathom why it isn't read more in schools.

That nigga Kafka is a defeatist. And I am too after having read The Trial And Metamorphosis. Also I like recognizing Kafkaesque situations, like fucking engineering school.

It's clearly says he was transformed, right in the first sentence.

Lol

Nobody wants to hear about your daddy issues, user, we already have Kafka for that.

It doesn't matter either way.