How old were you when you realised that reading doesn't make you smart?

How old were you when you realised that reading doesn't make you smart?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kC_EvSvHzgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Ep3YHeYP1AM
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fuck, older than I am now at least

one

I convinced myself of this when I was a teen to rationalize my poor choices. Fortunately, it didn't take me long to realize it does make you smart, provided you choose the right books and read them carefully.

define reading
define smart

define define

define define define

>finishing the 47th goosebumps
>reflecting on my actions over the past hour
I was 12

Depends what you read. So I'd agree, reading as an activity doesn't inherently make you smart. If you read a lot but never read anything but YA you're not getting any smarter

I'm using the classical definition of smart, like a smart cookie or smart shoes.
Man he has some smart shoes.

the moment i knew i was too smart for books

Reading excellent works well remains one of the foremost ways to refine all there is to refine in a man.

Well actually reading improves verbal intelligence which is part of general intelligence so you are wrong.

Intelligence cannot be improved. Your IQ will be sub-100 until the day you shuffle off this mortal coil.

It can make you smart but not wise.

How old were you when you realised that life is an endless stream of suffering to almost no avail?

youtube.com/watch?v=kC_EvSvHzgQ

When I was 15. I had just finished my umpteenth 40k novel and it dawned on me that I wasn’t actually learning anything from reading them. I wasn’t even particularly enjoying them.

Demonstrably false. People's IQs rise and fall, depending on their health and how they spend their time. It's true each person has only so much potential, but it's also true that you can increase your IQ by exercising your mind (and body), or let it decrease by spending all your time watching TV, playing video games, and browsing the web.

t. someone who cant get pussy

So the answer for you was 12?

Depends on what you read fag

who's that sexy guy on the pic i'd like to listen to some tunes by this sexy dude

It's a very young John Fahey youtube.com/watch?v=Ep3YHeYP1AM

>or let it decrease by spending all your time watching TV, playing video games, and browsing the web.
This is all I do as a NEET except I read Jack Vance for 4 hours a day

Without looking too deeply into the meaning of being smart of course it depends on what you read but reading if nothing else enhances your knowledge of the world and makes you less likely to be taken in by bullshit.

It's hard to do controlled tests on the matter but reading and intelligence seem to be linked as far as we can tell. Also take the movers and shakers of the world, also intellectuals and philosophers. If you read up on them you'll typically find with little exception they are well read.

The YA stigma bullshit is the biggest pseud lie on this board. If you read anything, YA included, you're making strides past those who don't read anything at all.

IQ is just a statistical arrangement of the population according to cognitive capacity. If you're smarter than 80% of the population when you're 6, it won't change by the time your 50. IQ only tells you how smart you are according to your other humans.

21, but I also realized reading makes it easier to pretend you are smart

So study makes you smart, not reading

Reading the vast majority of YA/sci-fi/fantasy is no better than wasting your life away playing Mario or watching How I Met Your Mother

define define means shut the fuck up

>Intelligence
>IQ

Two very different things.

If anything, it is precisely the reverse.

what do i do to become smart

When I was 14. Then I started hanging out with cool kids, drinking and drugs, and became more stupider than I already was.