Can we talk about biltong and other dried meats and Jerkys

Can we talk about biltong and other dried meats and Jerkys

Attached: bil.jpg (480x360, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Put2ZUgYph0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is the way man was meant to consume meats.

Jerky, both red meat and squid is goat.

Attached: 20171008_112547.jpg (2048x1152, 938K)

I make smoked venison jerky, the key is too dry it, not cook it. Seal with a vacuum sealer in bags best way is to have a dry ass cabin 24/7 so you can just pick it out of a lawn bag when needed.

*here's the squid
Get better and dry meats if you want to survive this debacle.

Attached: 20171122_132941.jpg (2576x1932, 2.27M)

Color me intrigued

Where's the best place to buy biltong online in the US? I've always wanted to try some.

Book or jewtube channel for a noobie to get started?

anyone here cure their own meats?
kinda thinking about home curing some beef

I always buy off Biltong USA. Theirs is pretty great.

have you ever tried 1800 biltong?

That just sounds like it'll be delivered by a SA taxi driver.

I once had a co-worker who was asian, i think 2nd or 3rd generation in canada.

One day at work he brought in a bag of squid jerky and man that thing stunk up the lunch room almost instantly it reeked like rotten week old fish.

I'm a bit of a daredevil when it comes to food and said i wouldn't mind having a taste but the smell kept getting stronger and stronger.

My foreman asked for a piece and immediately almost started vomitting and warned me not to eat that and the taste won't wash out his mouth. i pussied out after that and that guy never brought squid jerky again to work.

rated

I was just about to order squid jerky but have changed my mind

don't take advice from a guy who's such a big pussy that a smell makes him pass out

well to be fair I tried to get into /deenz/ but I can only get through like half a tin before I need to quit

It's pretty shit. Just go to an asian market in your town and you can buy dried squid for $2

I like my fish so hard I can make a knife out of it.
youtube.com/watch?v=Put2ZUgYph0

I don't know if everyone else is a pussy or that my taste genetics are hardcore but I love to get a hold of the strongest flavors I can get. DEENZ and squid jerky is GOAT.

>Basing your diet off memes

I would unironically use this as a flavoring agent/knife. Living in the woods makes some memes useful.

I don't know. Can we?

huh... accidentally did this on my own a couple months ago and made a thread here about it. Thought I had invented something new but evidently not.

I can't stop watching this guys knife kino

what is DEENZ, google is worthless

sardines

Woahboy is it summertime already?

>the key is too dry it, not cook it
Yes, that is how you make jerky.

My brother in law is a chef, he is in charge of a bunch of Marriott Hotel restaurants, he cooked for Clinton and Obama, trained in Italy, France and at the Culinary Institute of America.
So the guy knows his stuff, supposedly.
Couple Christmas's ago we get a package delivered by a courier, sent from Spain, stuff was some ham, whole leg, had a stand, came with a knife, shit stunk bad, it was called, Jamón Ibérico de Bellota, says it is an uncooked ham, just dry aged, all kinds of instructions, had a link to a video, in Spanish, on how to cut/store the meat, my wife is a vegan, so she doesn't want to even look at it, I cut some slices, like they tell you, eat some of the meat with the bread and wine that came in the same box, bread was great, wine was really good, just this side of fantastic, but the meat/ham smelled bad, like old feet, tasted really bad, couldn't even finish what I'd cut, my daughter tried it and spit it out, 2 sons just smelled and said nope, I have 3 Shar Pei dogs, one for each kid, let them have a taste, meat was gone in a second and mouths were watering, we have a winner, leg was 22 pounds, dogs took 3 weeks to eat it all, gave them some at breakfast but most at dinner, wife tells her brother, guy gets all pissy, he is gay, huffing and puffing, told the wife the ham cost $1300, screaming that he can't believe I fed it to my dogs, what a waste, how could I, told him via my wife that the bread and wine were great and the dogs had the best holidays in a long time, no gifts from the Chef since, stuff smelled bad and tasted worse, dogs liked it fine.

The bulgarian guy who picks up my packages made some turkish pastrami for me because i helped him to buy a car.
Shit was pretty good. Will try to make it myself soon.

Attached: file.png (640x480, 568K)

I really hope this is pasta. Like, really really hope so.
If it isn't I'm sorry for you and your retarded kids and wife. The most intelligent beings in your house are the dogs.
Keep feeding your family burgurs and pototos and coke light like a good goy.

how is this cooked whats the shelf life? Does that red color last forever? Wont that fat spoil? Is it even possible for fat to dry out? Ck please enlighten me.

>burgurs and pototos and coke light
don't ever judge an american again, third world scum

Attached: 1510601633176.png (600x512, 298K)

>pototos

Attached: Woll_Smoth_original[1].jpg (300x400, 38K)

Its dried meat, the red colour lasts, shelf life depends on low much you dry it. The fat can spoil if you are fucking retarded and let it touch shit when its drying

Attached: JontyJacobsBiltong2_1440x640.jpg (1280x640, 181K)

I never considered squid jerky

Dried meat is FUCKING DISGUSTING
not only are you eating murder steaks, but you WONT EVEN FUCKING COOK IT? FUCKING SAVAGES THE LOT OF YOU CARNISTS

>Sardines
>Strong

It's literally just briesling or whatever, it tastes like Salmon

Second. I really hope this is pasta. In fact I know it is because you can't get Jamon Iberico into the United States legally.

for me it's fenalaar. the best cured meat

Attached: images.jpg (247x204, 11K)

Bresaola or slinzega from Valtellina, a region in the italian Alps is GOAT

Attached: php2iLLK2.jpg (2592x1728, 1.56M)

that looks amazing user
fuck you

Attached: biltong-display_1024x1024.jpg (1024x683, 142K)

americans in charge of food

Attached: 91cfa15db45568999afcae4ca85b4b46.jpg (620x744, 76K)

What's the wood?

10/10

Attached: 18C4773A61744827B623E7CAEC4F7ECB.jpg (916x963, 531K)

I used a mix of apple and pecan. Came out mild and sweet.

Attached: 1519172916325.png (866x900, 94K)

You can get it legally since 2008

Never tried making Biltong before.
Is it difficult to make or require anything particularly special?

Attached: 1507966677474.png (471x559, 433K)

*grabs dick*

i don't get it

Buy a dryer and make it yourself, If you shop smart you can get one that works as a dehydrator as well, so you can do jerky and fruit in it. I use mine to dry out the seaweed I harvest as well as making biltong. Its easy to make.

Other than the dryer (If your over goes SUPER LOW you can do it in that, or if you live somewhere super hot) most ingredients are normal, the coriander must be coarse,but any salty acidic liquid can be added to the marinade, allowing for a large amount of customization in recipes. So yeah, I would say its easy, lots of experimenting to do, any kind of meat works as well, even chikun

Not jerky per se, but I make pemmican. In fact I'm going to try living off it starting in April. I should probably get more trays for my dehydrator though.

My brethren

How is squid jerky then?