Why do so few home kitchens have sharp knives? How did sharpening knives become a lost art?

Why do so few home kitchens have sharp knives? How did sharpening knives become a lost art?

Attached: VICTORINOX-FIBROX-8-INCH-CHEFS-KNIFE.jpg (1500x1500, 129K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B000PS2XI4/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ptspof6CXOg
store.butchersupply.net/f-dick-knives-c72.aspx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

how do I sharpen my knife op?

Most home cooks can't cut a zucchini, let alone avoid throwing their knife in the dishwasher.

If it comes out chipped, dull, and rusted it's the knife's fault.

most people are lazy fucks who buy prechopped stuff and strips of meat. very little cutting required.

the sushi white girl generation who has no idea how to make anything unless pajeet delivers it via uber eats

Because nobody at home knows how to sharpen a knife.

I like my Victorinox

Funny that you mentioned it, this just happened to me today.

>eating diner at friends house
>he's chopping tomatoes for a salad
>complains that his knife sucks
>"do you have a honing steel?"
>"what's that?"
>"a sharpener?"
>"no"
>"okay, where do you keep the knifes?"
>points to the knife block
>the knife block has a honing steel in it
>pull out the honing steel
>"omg what's that?"
>hone the knife
>"omg it cuts now! but I just ordered a new knife set on Amazon"
>mfw

>mfw you have no face

Attached: Faceless.jpg (275x183, 6K)

Not OP but: combo whetstone with 400-600 grit and 1000-1500 grit for actual sharpening, smooth steel or ceramic rod for touchups between stone use.

>"omg what's that?"
WTF how can one be so retarded that one doesnt know what a honing steel is, or that there is one in ones knife block?

sharp knives are too dangerous for the average person

>How did sharpening knives become a lost art?
Hard to say but maybe that talk about emasculation of our society is a real thing.

They probably just bought the knife because it was
>Cool Looking
>Cheap
You know, like most normal people

Still, wouldnt you take out and at least look at the larger pieces in your knife block once you have unpacked it at home?? That post sounds like that guy had the block for years and had never even taken out the honing rod.

I think it does not occur to most people that their knives are actually dull. They just assume they are either lacking arm strength or that squash peel is naturally that tough.

At least for me, when I got my first sharp knife I couldn't believe how fragile and delicate my produce suddenly felt.

t. britcuck

I'm surprised that honing alone could make that much of a difference on dulled knives. Usually when they're that far gone only a stone will ave an effect.

I do as well. I absolutely butchered it learning to correctly sharpen with my waterstone though. Ugly as hell now, but sharp as fuck.

The greentext literally happened with my mom. I bought her a professional set, and she said it wasn't very good because it didn't cut anymore after a month. And was completely perplexed when i explained the honing steel to her

Because they aren't that far gone, the edge is just bent. They never got to the point of needing genuine sharpening in the first place.

The knife was obviously not all that dull. It just needed honing. The only good thing about these dummies that can't sharpen / hone a knife is that they use their knives so little that the knives generally do not need a new edge profile.
This is why I recommend that people start with Mercer Millenia line. e.g. amazon.com/dp/B000PS2XI4/
They X30CR13 takes a nice edge, can withstand a lot of abuse, and needs more sharpening that other quality steels. It is the perfect steel for learning to / when to sharpen knives.

Pic related is what I have
Works pretty well for any knife I have and I have an assortment of lots of knives from CutCo to Wustoff and even lelworthy Emeril knives

Attached: 4568A521-10F7-476D-AC3D-6AC29BE7B412.jpg (722x1280, 94K)

That's the Knife Wrecker 2000. Don't ever use that on a knife. It might work as a butt plug.

Idk user it's never disappointed me. Why are you so against it if you don't mind me asking

I used to have one of those. For years I thought I didn't know how to use it right, until I realized they're just that awful. Get a stone.

Those draw devices tear off a ton of material every pull and return a very dull knife, they also shape your long edge unevenly. Doesn't really matter if you're doing a shit knife you don't care about and you can chuck it after a a year or so. But if you care about your gear, a whetstone you suck at, or a professional sharpener are better for the blade.

Whatever you do, get a leather strop with green polishing compound to tear off the burr.

You end up with a blade looking like this.

Attached: 8dd3a9cb6060aec69a27e02ab76da69a.jpg (1440x1080, 1.45M)

I'm not a serious enough cook to warrant a stone or any professional kind of material, when I cook I basically make sloppy shit that I can eat out of a bowl for three days.
I've never owned a knife worth caring about, all my blades are 20 year old remnants. I'm not a serious cook, I meal prep maybe two or three times a week but my Wusthoff sharpener has never obscured me from completing a recipe.
As much as I'd love that kind of leather Amish butter strap shit I don't have the capacity to care for it right now

>normies

for when you don't know how to look after your knives and don't care either
wustoffs finest in knife butchery accessories

they are shit
they damage knives
they take off too much steel to form an edge
cost more than a stone
is inferior to a stone

only good side
designed with idiots in mind

>t. any country's ass that got whipped by germany

In English, Doc!

I'm starting to think that even chef cutlery should never be purchased for quality. You can sharpen almost any steel to cut like a japanese blade if you know how. I can shave with a 2 dollar blade.

Shop tools are one thing, shit cutlery you can sharpen in 5 minutes every 3 months. Who fucking cares.

Attached: blades.jpg (1600x1200, 242K)

Tell the story of your friend cutting off his hand.

Why? You know it. I'm here trying to keep people from fucking up their shit. Do you get that?

I do stupid shit to keep stupid people from doing stupid shit. I can't believe you haven't figured that out yet.

Do you want me to tell you have to sharpen a gouge? Or set a sound post? Or build a band sander that doesn't damage the temper of your steel?

Here's goober teaching you how to sharpen a knife on a band sander. The ultimate best way to sharpen a knife without fucking up its temper.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ptspof6CXOg

rate my cooking utensils

Attached: cheap knife.jpg (2688x1520, 1.1M)

learn about burr and micro burr. Stop using your fag dispensor.

So all of you assholes just gave up? I was hoping you'd teach me about sharpening knives.

>roast your knife over the burner for 2 minutes then shock in a bowl of ice water before peeling off the skin
Knives are slightly firmer than tomatoes and peppers but not impossible.

i have one of these at home
only mine looks worse and is really old
works fine though

Attached: messenslijper-80810055-productzoom_rd[1].jpg (1095x1242, 42K)

Find a stone or ceramic piece and run the blade over it. If rural Tibets can figure it out without an electric grinder, so can you. Pick up a cheap knife that's brittle rather than sharp to practice with, try to match the existing angle.

>How did sharpening knives become a lost art?

Largely due to the advent of v. hard "stainless" steel.

Sorry, cheap vodka. Find a very cheap hard blade rather than cheap soft one, and a smooth stone or smooth piece of ceramic. Learn to match the blade's angle with the stone, do not apply pressure. Asian markets usually sell high carbon knives really cheap, as well as small stones really cheap. High carbon knives will often sing with you run fingernails down the blade or flick your nail against them really hard. Don't be shy against taking one out of a cheap cardboard package or asking to look at it like that, they will not cause problems if you are not being shy because that means you are not there to steal.

There is lot more to a good chef's knife than a sharp cutting edge. Even a knife with a shaving edge will cut like shit if it is too thick behind the edge, or if the bladeface encourages stiction.

why would I risk getting metal particles in my food afterwards? sure is safer to just get a new one at the mall

Simple, e-hobbyist MGTOW DIY cultists turned it into a gatekeeping domain just like a lot of other things. wat computer is gud? don't even BOTHER unless you build a 4 foot tall shrieking water cooled "rig" with blue LEDs everywhere that only runs gantoo. wat bike is gud? stay on your training wheels unless you know the difference between 2-cross and radial spoke patterns you STUPID PLEB BABBY.

So generations of home cooks were told NO STOP YOU WILL PERMANENTLY DESTROY YOUR KNIVES UNLESS YOU PERSONALLY FREEHAND EVERYTHING ON A PROGRESSION OF HAND QUARRIED STONES WEARING A LOINCLOTH WHILE SITTING CROSS LEGGED UNDER A COLD WATERFALL DO NOT EVEN TRY UNLESS YOU DO IT MY WAY and nobody gets useful advice nor do they even try and maintain their shit. pre-internet this was less of a problem, everyone was ok using pull through and other "evil" sharpeners and somehow, people managed to cook food. but now that stuff is basically considered kitchen AIDS and everyone buys a full progression of bench stones that they try once and then never use again.

every starter home should come with a Chef's Choice with more Trivox. yeah the knife neckbeards will have a conniption because muh shapton stones muh green brick of joy, and you know what I have to say to you people? kill yourselves

and before you reply "OMG THIS" bear in mind that if you clicked on this thread, I guarantee YOU are the problem

Attached: 8483.jpg (1000x655, 62K)

>Chef's Choice
®

and that is exactly why you combine a coarse micro burr from the Chefs Choice with a polishing compound and a strop.

you get a razor sharp blade that can cut a tomato skin like air.

It is that retards are annoying, and I count myself as one. I don't require others to conform to my requests, or to even let me into their circles.

But since there is so much info on cooking out there, it's kinda difficult to parse into a cohesive series of steps, through which on can gradually improve. I have slowly started un-manchilding the way I cook, but I understand why many guys are averse to doing anything that is more complicated than heating frozen pizza. The all or nothing mentality in any hobby or circle of interest is bound to make you shy away from even taking the first step.

Just as an example, for me it took a ridiculously long time to even understand how to regulate the heating of a pan. All "How to cook le ultimate steak for beginner videos" always just say how it's medium heat for a few minutes. What the fuck is medium heat for my contect. I have an electric coil oven at home, my folks have an induction oven top, and they behave quite differently at each regulated level.

Attached: sekoapu.jpg (238x192, 9K)

OMG, THIS SO HARD THIS

>bear in mind that if you clicked on this thread, I guarantee YOU are the problem
How did YOU enter this thread without clicking on it, senpai?

Attached: 1421362569661.gif (430x352, 2.31M)

Because capitalism has to ruin everything. It used to be that you could buy a high quality carbon steel knife for pennies and it would hold its edge forever.

Now you have to spend a ridiculous $100 to buy an entry level knife that holds its edge.

No

Attached: 8a8fab7a1ab8ac58eb475a9a5e2cee18.jpg (480x560, 44K)

>frogposter calls others retards
When did Reddits iq drop so significantly?

>high quality carbon steel
>hold its edge forever
lol no

Attached: cbf.png (355x328, 65K)

In fact many professional chefs or butchers don't even use fancy expensive knives but decent professional knives with plastic handles that cost A LOT less than the average german or japanese popular brand knife.
They are cheap, solid, comfortable to use and easy to sharpen. What else do you need?

Attached: 415fc5c2adb781f01c9f9669345e8352.jpg (910x670, 94K)

Are frogs reddit now? I was sure they were /r9k/. Not that it matters.

The thread started with a prime example of that..

>how did sharpening knives become a lost art
>posts a victorinox shit cutter special
not bad kidd

>DICK
>Cheap
nigga those poly handle dicks cost like $80 each

I bought ten

Butcher and fishcutter here, can confirm. Experimented with a variety of more expensive knives, never found anything that cut notably better than the cheap Dexter Russells that were at the first couple shops I learned at, especially on the meat side. I've come around a bit on the fish side, I keep a couple of debas and a yanigiri alongside the DR western style fillet knives.

"High quality steel" can be a bit of a meme, or at least vague. What people usually are referring to is hardness. But the softer steels used in western German-tradition butcher knives vs the harder steels in Japanese knives are not out of lower standards, but different culinary traditions. Western butchery is heavy on larger animals like cow, pig, and lamb, and large birds like turkey and goose, and frequently involves leveraging a large blade directly through tough cuts. A weeb hard steel knife with a narrower (and therefore sharper) edge angle would immediately chip badly and need intensive sharpening. Meanwhile the bigger, heavier, softer knife just needs a pass or two on the honing rod now and then.

Asian butchery is more focused on fish, and smaller fowl like chicken and duck, and more of the cutting is about straight, precise cuts along small bones and through dislocated bird joints and soft fish flesh, so the harder sharper steel o the Jap knives is at less risk of chipping, and you can get more meat off the bone. Also you won't need to hone the knife every few animals.

If you think about it, companies like DR and Victorinox have a lot invested in keeping restaurant kitchens and processors from jumping ship to another brand. Meanwhile most home cooks aren't going to buy 20-100 knives anyway, so the marketing strategy is more about convincing mom or dad that this $120 knife is the last kitchen knife they'll need.

DICK is german knife company that uses very good steel. Probably Krupp related.

Finally a fucking person who knows his shit. Rockwell hardness is everything. THAT is what dictates how long your edge lasts. It's inversely proportional to how brittle your edge is. It's like sharpening diamond. Eventually you'll just smash the entire contraption.

where did you buy them?
even the big ass ones don't cost more than 30 bucks:
store.butchersupply.net/f-dick-knives-c72.aspx
here in Europe they are very cheap compared to other brands

There are two main European steels. It's german 'tool steel' and Sheffield steel. They both take an exceptional temper and 'preserve their edge'.

Toughness is inverse to brittleness. Harness is not.

Angryness is parallel with brittlenomics. Brutalifics isn't.

this was a really interesting and informative post. thanks for making it!

Nothing preserves its edge.

Hardness means that the metal is more crystalline than other steels. They call it martensite I think. The composite of that steel at a specific quenced hardening means that steel will shatter when it's fucked with.

Sometimes I like to Harness the power of Brutalifics.

Attached: Brutal.jpg (957x718, 69K)

Paid $5.99 for this guy I think, works like a charm.

Attached: ok.jpg (600x600, 33K)

i have this, used it literally today. i can't remember the order though. is it COARSE then FINE? that's what i do
15 swipes coarse, 15 swipes fine

I think that's too many swipes desu senpai, my Goodwill knives only take like 4 passes on fine to get a good edge.

those things are ok only if you want to give a quick and acceptable sharpening to cheap knives. I wouldn't use that on an expensive knife.

actually a sharp knife is safer than a blunt knife

I didn't know you had to sharpen them. Not like I am cutting pvc pipe with them

thinkingemoji.png

Fuck you bich basterd.

Attached: pepe_pejeepe.jpg (900x900, 75K)

They were designed by fags and their shit’s all retarded.

what do you think abolut calphalon knives? Any good?

Attached: 1922976.mmv.jpg (1525x2000, 151K)

They're Walmart-tier knives created solely for Williams Sonoma to sell at 4 times the prices of the exact same quality knifes at Walmart.

Out of curiosity I started to google them and it suggested "Calphalon knife recall" which is always a good sign.

if you use a dull knife you are more likely to cut yourself, but a sharp knife will fuck you fingers more badly if it happens

I dont think you know a lot about kitchen knives. Like I said in my post a kitchen knife and its cutting ability is NOT all about how sharp you can get your edge.

you don't know shit about an 'edge'. You can have a mirror glass 8000 cut polish that doesn't do a fucking thing. Or, you can have a 800 burr that you can use as a saw and a polished edge as well.

I just can't explain this shit to you without diagrams. Suffice to say when you strop an 800 edge you get both a razor sharp edge and an edge that can cut a tomato. Go learn metallurgy so I don't have to explain it to you here.

>Go learn metallurgy so I don't have to explain it to you here.
Lazy fuck

You can thank boomers for that.

Are you genuinely retarded? I wasn't talking about the edge, how many times do I have to say it? I was talking about other and totally different factors.

Also, I have finally understood what you mean by "burr" and "microburr". What you mean is a toothy edge. A burr is something totally different, it's the tiny fringe-like bits of metal shaving that won't detach from the apex of the edge after you have sharpened your knife on a whetstone. Stropping is what is used to get rid of those.

Yeah, you figured everything out, Trump. Tell another fucking story. You fucking story telling children are so boring. Stop being 12.

My chef knife is dull but sometimes I think that is a good thing. I cook while drunk and cant count the number of times I would have lost my fingers had my knife been properly sharpened.

You're a dumb gibble that tried to catch up by googling things. Stop now.

i have a mate that legit didn't know what a car lighter was and how did it recharge things that could plug into it.

Confirmed for being genuinely retarded.

8´2 Inch ergo grip knife 20,91€

Attached: blockmesser-21-cm-von-dick.jpg (800x800, 18K)