What's the opinion on this guy?

What's the opinion on this guy?

What is his best work and why is it Joseph and His Brothers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YE2iyBRmA_g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not Magic Mountain?

My opinion of him is that he's an absolute fucking genius. Why, what's yours?

One of the all-time greats of course
his experiments with electricity helped make the world what it is today
it's a real shame how Edison treated him

I can recommend 'Tristan'; a well-written, humorous salmagundi of Schopenhauerian "Schleier der Maja", Nietzschean slave-morality and Wagnerian Liebestod as well a precursor to The Magic Mountain

an absolute hack like all austrian writers

You must be fun to be around.

People that claim Magic Mountain as Mann's greatest novel haven't actually read or heard about The Joseph Saga. Please educate yourself.

I read some of his short stories and novellas recently. Tristan, Tonio Kroger and - especially - Death in Venice affected me strongly. I took a break from reading after Tristan.

Has anyone read Gladius Dei? As with Kroger, it contains penetrating, if self-indulgent and unreal diatribes about art. Its ending was ominous, especially given Mann's own sense of the artist as seismograph of his society.

Has anyone read the buddenbrooks? it's an amazing family drama with a very detailed recreation of the bourgeois society of Germany from morals, politics and economics through several generations of the same family.

It baffles me that the buddenbrooks is, in fact his first novel at the age of 22.

Great novel but I hated the unessecarily long descriptions of every single fucking detail especially at the first half of the book.
The final chapters that focus on the kid are pure distilled kino

>Ends your sonata as an artform

youtube.com/watch?v=YE2iyBRmA_g

doctor faustus is the best. musiclets will deny this.

the best is Transposed Heads because its plot it straight out a 50's B movie

>the commentary for Doktor Faustus is longer than the book itself

That's kinda hot desu

>implying you wouldn't trade your head to fuck your best friend's wife

who

Picked up The Holy Sinner at a used bookstore for less than a dollar, what am I in for?

his very worst

literally GOAT writer; like with Dosto everyone should read at least his big 4; all oustanding masterpieces I'd rate all rate 9-10/10

1. Joseph & Bros
2. Dr. Faustus
3. Magic Mountain
4. Buddenbrooks

magic mountain is honestly dreadful to get through, i'm at around 45% and christ, it is tedious

Maybe you should stick to children books

>I hate the unnecessarily long descriptions of every single fucking detail at the first half of the book
this is exactly why Doctor Faustus feels longer than Joseph and His Brothers

that's because you're looking for an action driven plot, its much more of a character drama
same with most of his works desu

That's funny considering Joseph and His Brothers is intended to feel long and dreary like fucking eternity in 4 books

>magic mountain
>so far there isn't any magic

I think his son is a better writer and can express with real depthness the human condition whereas Mann fails

I read Mann's brother's work The Straw Man or something and it's pretty good too. I suppose that's the power of 20th century bourgeois literature

A tedious didacticist and not much different from the majority of german novelists in that respect.

More like the last great traditional novelist of the XX century you simpleton fuck

I don't need an one page analysis of the curtains and wallpaper of the Budenbrook family home, thank you very much

you sound 18
consider suicide