Is Zizek a pop philosophy fraud?

Is Zizek a pop philosophy fraud?

Yes & No. Zizek is famous for a reason but the cult of personality around him that has been growing since 2011 is largely due to people with little to no philosophical knowledge watching his Vice interview and his Netflix documentary.

he's a genius masquerading as one, but deep down yes, he is a pop philosophy fraud

Because he basically endorses the two most populist ideologies in existence? (Marxism and crypto nationalism)

he's a Thomas Pynchon
he has many short non-serious works wherein he makes innumerable pop culture references for an elementary exposition of lacan, marx, or hegel's ideas, but he also has serious works (Disparities, Absolute Recoil, Less Than Nothing, The Parallax View) that are genuine philosophical texts presupposing an extensive knowledge of continental philosophy and advancing towards a concrete and systematic thesis
read "Zizek's Ontology: A Transcendental Materialist Theory of Subjectivity" by Adrian Johnston if you want to understand what he's working towards

Also, if you haven't read Lacan before reading Zizek then you are doing it wrong.

why not read lacan, and then not read zizek?

>mfw began with Zizek moved onto Lacan and back to Zizek then onto Hegel

He's a walking meme. I went to see him give a talk at Birkbeck once. From the excitement of the audience, you'd think we were waiting for Johnny Cash to come out and play few songs. Well, he came out, said a few incomprehensible things about Adorno and ideology, and I went home none the wiser.

>you must read the post-charlatan Lacan inspired by charlatan Derrida, to understand the post-post-charlatanism of Zizek, instead of simply reading the originals Heidegger and Nietzsche

Even Lacanian Scholars don't read Lacan m8 there's next to zero independent value in his work.

If you're reading any of the later three thinkers it should be a given you should read Nietzsche and Heidegger regardless

I don't think he's a fraud but he is pop philosophy, mostly because he concerns himself with opinions on popular mainstream culture. It's not inherent a bad thing. A lot of philosophers are out of touch with modern culture and if they enter into that domain they have to conduct themselves through mainstream media to get any attention whatsoever.

lmao eternally dumb anglos

t. „French“ Algerian Jew

Actually we are both just projecting our libidinally invested images unto each other, so lets just get along bruh. We need to read books instead of calling each other names on the internet.

>We need to read books instead of calling each other names on the internet.
Debatable

Afaik we have to get off both books and the Internet and get a life desu.

>a life

Pure ideology. Life is in books, out there is nothing

Can someone give me a quick rundown on Zizek? The memes I've seen present him as a marxist tankie edgelord

>Is
>Out
Pure ideology.

he's written like 100 books. i don't think anyone here can judge him properly

So has Stephen King, thats a stupid argument

Zizek being Marxist is pure ideology

Yes

I enjoy the pervert's guide to cinema + ideology but that's because comparatively, other new media seems so juvenile in general

I enjoy listening to him speak even when it doesn't make sense and doesn't reach a useful conclusion

*sniff*

I'm reading Less than Nothing rn desu