Favorite South American authors? Clarice Lispector is mine. Also love Borges

Favorite South American authors? Clarice Lispector is mine. Also love Borges.

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.utexas.edu/ransomcentermagazine/2017/05/22/a-history-of-one-hundred-years-of-solitude-in-documents/
hrc.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p15878coll80/id/595#nav_top
youtube.com/watch?v=H6I4vlLOIyM
amazon.com.br/Sombra-Sobre-Trono-Poema-Dramático-ebook/dp/B077CWSRYJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511706496&sr=8-1&keywords=a sombra sobre o trono
livrariacultura.com.br/p/ebooks/literatura-internacional/um-hino-ao-vazio-89813979
books.google.com.br/books?id=hYgwDgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=um hino ao vazio&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwibg8Hfu9zXAhWDQZAKHWivDWYQ6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=um hino ao vazio&f=false
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bolaño, Vargas Llosa, Villa Matias. Cesar Aira was pretty good.

Ricardo Piglia is one I don't hear mentioned often even though he's among the greatest.

I never found a Latin American author interesting. They always seem too derivitive of their European contempories to bother with and I don't appreciate their parochial sentimentalism

Piglia, Lispector, Restrepo, Trevian, Galera

juan rulfo

Junot Diaz

What is Veeky Forumss general opinion on Hundred Years of Solitude? I'm not from this board.

i like it a great deal

mutis best writer from my cunt

we are white europeans

>derivative

Are you saying Latin American authors are too similar to their Spanish contemporary writers?

Who's Borges similar to? What's the Spanish "100 years of solitude"? And the Spanish "The green house"?

Nigga, Vila Matas is Spanish

Any person, well read or not, who is not a complete retard must admit that it's a good book.

Pedro Paramo is the tits, yeah.

Btfo

>hundreds of pages about relatives fucking in corn fields and a character literally called meme
>good

Anyone here read Augusto Roa Bastos' I, the Supreme? Always found Paraguay's history kinda interesting and was wondering if this book is worthwhile.

>Write some good stories
>then a literally perfect novella
>write no more

that's the way to do it desu

He actually wrote another novella, user It's pretty meh

García Márquez and Bolaño as novelists.
Cortázar and Borges regarding short stories
Gómez Jattin and León de Greiff regarding poetry
Rulfo is a different thing. He's just the best.

>galera
lol'ed

Bazilian hidden gems: Murilo Mendes, Manoel de Barros, Ferreira Gullar.

Clarice Lispector a meme. Machado de Assis is pretty good but I need to reread it, last time I did was in high school. Guimarães Rosa is amazing and worth the read.

From other Latin American countries I thoroughly enjoy Borges, Piglia, Bolaño, Aira.

>Guimarães Rosa is amazing and worth the read.

This, except I decided to learn the language just to read him in the original (I'm actually already fluent in Spanish and French, so it's not really a huge leap).

How is the experience of reading him in english? I cannot imagine.

Why are americans suddenly in love with Lispector? She's so meh and seems like such a random writer to choose.

Arlt

Clarice Lispector! really? Why?
Recommend me something.

>ctrl+f
>paulo coelho
>0 results
Come on guys

Recommend me something by Murilo Mendes. Also something by Ferreira Gular, from him I've only read the Poema Sujo.

Like MILK.

So... You guys like her because she was hot when she was young...

Nobody?

y'all niggas need Alberto Laiseca.

Sadly he passed away not so long ago.

A great author. Crazy and really fun.

yeah, just buy the Ediciones Catedra edition.

My impression when I read it was that I was witnessing humanity first emerging from primordial mud, from the creamy swamps of stone age, as if the foundation of the city of Macondo was the first settlement of civilization and it’s inhabitants were all Adams and Eves, all of them still humid with the sweat of the dew of paradise. Is like the children of Eden modeling and pilling up the first bricks of Ur, or Uruk, of Nineveh or Babylon (all the houses of red mud and of bamboo/taquara).
Humanity was at the same time more innocent and stronger, more ignorant and hungrier. The friendship and the butchery, the marriage and drinking rituals, the sexual hunger and the love caresses, the trades and crafts and arts and festivals: all of it seemed, in my eyes, as discovered for the first time by the inhabitants of the world of this book. When they made love, they did it with more power and pleasure than our current race; when they killed, they did it with more foaming savagery. Their veins still had primeval magma snaking and tingling inside them; their arteries still burned with an effervescence contaminated with the sweat of minotaur’s and the menstrual blood of sirens. It is a book that portrays a period in history but with the taste of something that came before history, before civilization, before the written word, before the invention of time. The first settlers, with the first house-foundations, will be the ones who will finally make time open its eyes and start growing conscious – as if, the soil being perforated to seat the first beams, time started to gush off, like newfound petroleum.

It begins with creation. Even the fauna and flora, with plants with tick and oozing blood of milk, flowers with golden pollen, butterflies and mosquitos emerging like dense fog, and the birds singing on the branches, the tamarins jumping from tree to tree, the fat salamanders crawling in the viscous vegetation, the araras (macaws) whose flesh is blue and taste like musk: this environment seemed as the original jungles of Eden before the fall of humanity. It begins with creation, but it will march inexorably until the crack of doom.

And then you get the same errors and weaknesses happening again and again and again, by generation after generation of characters, as if didn’t matter how much civilization changed, for the original and primeval world (where things still didn’t had a name, where men and women needed to point to indicate what they were referring to) could never be completely silenced. No matter how much technology and “progress” fertilized the world, still the original marrow of our bestial beings could never be suppressed: it kept screaming inside the bones and veins of the men and women of the book. Like the sweet and nauseating pulp of guava, there is no way to wash the taste, the nausea and the sweetness from this the people who are still and forever tattooed by the Dionysian stamp of the state-of-nature.

So this:

a) The sperm of Adam could never be dissolved from our species; the perfume of the apple never gagged, for it is forever entangled in our flesh: that seems to me one of the great themes of the book.

b) Somehow I feel that the author desired to portray the whole history of humanity – from the first shadows that crawled from the marshes of Eden (the slimy early-fishes creeping from sea to land), to the last cries of the last infants and the last whispers of the last ancients (whose backs carry the weight of all the thousands that lived before them) – occurring in one single town, during the course of mere 100 years.

It’s a great book.

Any Spanish language ones for Spanish-learners?

Daniel Galera? Thought he was pretty good. I've read "Barba Ensopada de Sangue".

Uuuhhh... mate

Holy..... I want more (unironically). Did you expand your review ?

So you liked it? I'm going to get the German translation so I was just wondering if it's interesting enough.

Raduan Nassar, Machado de Assis, Manuel Puig, Augusto dos Anjos, Ernesto Sabato.

Gullar's bibliography is pretty extensive and consistent. My favorite might be ''Muitas Vozes'', which is him at his most mature and refined. ''A Luta Corporal'' is very avant-garde and surrealist, and ''Dentro da Noite Veloz'' is political through and through.

If you guys think Lispector was hot, look up Ana Cristina Cesar.

UMA DELICIA.

>Are you saying Latin American authors are too similar to their Spanish contemporary writers?

No I mean European literature in general

>Who's Borges similar to?
You misunderstand the meaning of derivative, its not that a writer is a cheaper version of another, just that their contribution has no earstwhile importance to literature as a whole. South America could have never existed and literature would be much the same

>we are white europeans
t. Argentina

>Did you expand your review

Yes. I made that post when I was suddenly reminded by the OP of the existence of One Hundred Years of Solitude (a book that I love very deeply. It is not the same thing as my beloved Tolstoy and Shakespeare; it doesn’t seem that much as a study of character, but like a colossal poem bursting to life in the novel-format).

Since then I made some research on the book again and flipped some passages of it at home (and hence the addictions in the original post I made about the novel). I also found out a quite interesting site about the genesis of the book:

sites.utexas.edu/ransomcentermagazine/2017/05/22/a-history-of-one-hundred-years-of-solitude-in-documents/

It even contains a link to the original manuscript that was send to the Editor press:

hrc.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p15878coll80/id/595#nav_top

Unfortanetly, GGM destroyed most of the manuscripts of the work, the palces where we could actually find him at work:

“Writing took him approximately 13 months, from July 1965 to August 1966. Little documentation survives to this day to understand how he wrote it. Allegedly, García Márquez burnt all manuscripts, notes, and diagrams after receiving the first copy of the book from Sudamericana. He only saved the last version of the novel’s typescript, now kept at the Ransom Center. This typescript contains over 200 handwritten corrections, which reveal surprising textual variants with the final text of the novel published by Sudamericana. Some variants of special interest can be found on pages 46, 149, and 282.”

>implying influence = value
Is this the true power of le western cannon?

Immitation is the highest form of flattery, I read writers based on their implicit endorsement from other writers I like. I don't deny that there may be great writers from S.America but there has been little to push me towards investigating them

The old Pontiero translation of Hour of the Star is superior to the new edition.

Poema Sujo is trash, and that's coming from a fan of his. You ought to look for early works: can't go wrong with A Luta Corporal.

As of Murilo Mendes, it depends on what you want to read. If you want to go into sort of symbolist and more caracteriscally modernist poems, go with Poemas or Tempo e Eternidade. If you want his deep-Catholic-surrealist phase, Metamorfoses is a good choice. If you just want a taste of his style, Cia. das Letras has recently published a new edition of Poliedro, a collection of essays that floats all over the place.

Benjamin Moser published a biography of hers, which was followed by new editions of her novellas. She's pretty meh indeed, I can't figure out this fascination they suddenly have for her.

she still looks good there

I think all of this contemporary sulist writers are just obnoxious. The exception being Carol Bensimon, maybe.

>Tfw I wrote and published two plays (a comedy and a tragedy) in blank-verse and prose, with a mix of densely poetic and metaphorical and crude and realistic language, doing my best to honor the tradition of the Greeks and Shakespeare, and still haven’t got a single mention and review in any Brazilian newspaper, magazine, or even a blog.

Our age is the age of the novel and the short story: dramatic poetry is dead. Oh well, what is left for me to do but to keep moving forward even if I don’t have readers? At least when I lay down in bed at night, in the dark, I feel proud of my own efforts (even if they are filled with defects).

>Our age is the age of the novel and the short story:

Try the Netflix series and the youtube channel

Borges > everyone else.

Which book? Sometimes it's just a matter of being in a good publisher. I work in the publishing business and can attest that nowhere else in the world there's a greater concentrarion of power among a select number of publishers.

I've wrote some essays and aphorisms and decided that I won't care for format and won't adapt anything in order to be published. It will either find its way into the public eye or disappear completely, I don't care. What's important is to write something good.

Oh, don’t mistake my words. Certainly movies and TV series are the main sources of story-telling for people today, there is no doubt about that. Nothing wrong with that: every genre can produce masterpieces (True Detective and Breaking Bad were great works of art, in my opinion).

But for the audience that consumes books (much smaller than the screen audience, of course), poetry and poetic drama are nonexistent.

just do your stuff, if it's original or good enough it will eventually be read and praised

>True Detective and Breaking Bad were great works of art, in my opinion

Oh Christ, they're not even particularly good by TV standards. Deadwood and Mad Men you'd have an argument

The first book was published by Chiado Editora, in Portugal (because I could not find any editors in Brazil interested enough to publish the work; one of them say that they wanted to publish, but after a year of preparation aid that they were changing policy and personal and had decided to abandon the project).

For the second book I used Creative Space, a company affiliated with Amazon, and self-published. I made advertisement in Facebook, but got only likes and no sales.

Somehow it is my fault. Both plays are gigantic (more than 700 pages), which make them unable to be performed. From now one I will think first on the stage, and only create works that can be performed on the sage in 2-3 hours.

>Deadwood and Mad Men
Wrong!

Very interesting read, thanks user.
>tfw I now have another book in my backlog

>Deadwood and Mad Men you'd have an argument

I love those two. Al Swearengen is one of my favorite characters of all time.

>Wrong

Are you the guy who likes Breaking Reddit? Because you lost all authority there

this. the whole of Latin American literary export is but a footnote to the corpus of Borges

>Holy..... I want more (unironically).
>Very interesting read, thanks user.

Thank you very much. I thought people would find my criticism too flowery and purple-prosed, but I could not help writing like that, since I really love that book.

It might seem silly, but to listen some small compliment like yours in a week where I have been feeling disappointed with myself and my own writing meant a lot.

I like Borges a lot, but sometimes he seems to me to be too much cerebral, too much dependent on ideas and images took from his enormous reading-memory, and less about characters and imaginary lives.

I can’t remember, for example, of feminine characters in Borges work. Some of the most basic human experiences (like sexuality) are completely absent from his corpus.

Emma Zunz (A Borge's short story)
>Female protagonist
>Coitus
Surprise madafaka

Cheers user. I might not be a good critic especially since I'm not even a native speaker, but I tought you described that "primordial condition" just spot on; expressing it in a way that put my meandering thoughts I have about this topic (esp. when reading about the ANE, mythology and religion in genereal) into meaningful words. Also I think this topic deserves some (well-crafted) flowery prose. Keep it up!

i wrote mutis was the best writer from my country he is colombian sorry we are white

hahaha wtf
i'm Colombian an Mutis is meh. Raúl Gómez Jattin, León de Greif, Nicolás Gómez Dávila... Those are the greatest!

He actually wrote two other novellas, the first one(being untitled) he burned because he hated it. The second one called "El Gallo de Oro" only survived because Carlos Fuentes and Grabiel García Márquez convinced Rulfo to make a movie about it, Márquez and Fuentes took the manuscript by Rulfo and adapted into a script. The only reason we have that novella published is because of Carlos Fuentes and Márquez. (Source: the introduction to El Gallo de Oro)

If you knew better you'll understand that Borges was heavily inspired by many prosists of Latin America and that his work would have been impossible without. Pic related is a writer Borges thought to be perfect, a lot of literary critics from latin america-including Ricardo Piglia- believe that Borge's style was actually fully developed after reading a Alfonso Reyes's short storie called "La Cena"

oh man i forgot león he is awesome! dávila is one of my favorites too but i thought op was only asking for novelists and poets

I like José Asunción Silva as well. Great poems, and an intesresting biography.

youtube.com/watch?v=H6I4vlLOIyM

Is there a good book that lists and analyzes the greatest works and most significant writers of the South American continent? I was thinking of something like a history of South American literature from the late 19th century and the entire 20th century.

You speak as if this guy was some sort of Latin American Homer or something

The south is a fucking meme. They just write literature for USP's departmento de letras. It's awful. But not worse than the hack Raphael Montes.

Why is Pedro Paramo considered so great?

>not rating oswald de andrade

bump

>Poema Sujo is trash
Oh thanks, I thought the problem was on me. Why is it so famous? Is it because he curses? Is it that it was a novelty then, and everyone was - oh, so avant-garde? Why is it so praised?

I'm gonna check it out

What would be a top ten Latin American novels?

The Plain in Flames has glimmers of Pedro Paramo's awesomeness.

It's famous because of the novelty, yes, and also because of the circunstances in which it was written.

I also would liketo know this

strongly suggest u ppo don't sleep on Onetti, mainly "El Pozo" and "El Astillero". no clue if these have been published in english.
and Cortázar, imo, is the perfect short story author. I never cared for "Rayuela", but his stories have absolutely not a wasted sentence

Jorge Luis Borges is mine. Also love Lispector.
Also Bioy Casares, de Assis, da Cunha, and Donoso

>mfw I'm an argentinian who has never read Borges

this guy fucks

"La vida breve", bruh.

I'd like a copy (digital, of course) of your works. I could cook some review here in Uruguay, if you're interested, of course.

She's a woman and from an exotic country, yet her name sounds like she could be British or from the new England states so she's not too exotic and scary. Perfect mix for pseud snob housewives and soyboys

Is it that play about the Japanese? I wanted to buy it, but honestly, the price is quite high (even though I believe it's worth it). Writing something like that really is hard to sell these days.

>Is it that play about the Japanese?

Yes, it is exactly that play.

I soon realized that the price would be a problem. I used Amazon's Create Space site to publish the book (self-publishing), and put as price the minimum required by the tool. I believe that the calculation is done based on the number of pages, the price of paper and ink, etc. Even selecting the minimum price, however, the book ended up being high-priced. One of the main reasons is the exchange rate conversion from Dollar to Real.

I apologize for this. I feel ashamed because I do not know if the literary quality of the material deserves such a high price (I did my very best, but still: one always achieve far less than wath was dreamed).

>I'd like a copy (digital, of course) of your works. I could cook some review here in Uruguay, if you're interested, of course.

I would be extremely honored if you decided to read the works.

However, before you choose to buy one of them, I suggest you read previews and decide if the material would be worth your time or not.

This is the last one I wrote (I think is my best one). I will send you the link for the digital version. Use the "Look Inside" to see if you think that the book is worth a read. If you think is still crude and boring I will understand, I'm really OK about criticism (I know I still have a lot to learn). The link:

amazon.com.br/Sombra-Sobre-Trono-Poema-Dramático-ebook/dp/B077CWSRYJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511706496&sr=8-1&keywords=a sombra sobre o trono

That one is a tragedy. This is the my first work (a comedy). Here the link for the place to buy it:

livrariacultura.com.br/p/ebooks/literatura-internacional/um-hino-ao-vazio-89813979

But like I said, please search inside before you decide to buy. Here, on this Google Books preview, you can see more of the work:

books.google.com.br/books?id=hYgwDgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=um hino ao vazio&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwibg8Hfu9zXAhWDQZAKHWivDWYQ6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=um hino ao vazio&f=false

please, I would liketo know where to start with Latin American literature

Did you guys forget Machado de Assis?
He's the king of South America's lit.
Try reading Dom Casmurro.